Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Nominated for North American Car of the Year (2013)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While in principle I agree, the Model S put Tesla in a situation where Tesla had to release a quality, functional car on time that could be produced at up to 20,000 units per year. Those criteria were far and away the number 1 priorities. Tesla has meet those criteria (well, they're still working on ramping up production, but I have faith). I'm more than impressed with the job they've done so far. I'd cut them a little slack. I'm sure the Gen III car have all the less important things that the Model S missed out on.

As Elon has said from the beginning, it takes three iterations to really figure out how to do something perfectly (just like in software). By the time they get to the mass market car (Gen III), it should be comparable or better in almost every way to a BMW, Audi or Lexus.

And since Tesla is putting out the best product it can in the short amount of time they have had then I would expect that there will be upgrades on the interior in Model S 2.0. They're still learning how to do the things that the big companies have had decades to learn to do.

http://m.autoblog.com/2012/10/02/2013-north-american-car-and-truck-utility-of-the-year-short-list/

If there's any conspicuous absence on the list, it's likely the Tesla Model S, which has drawn widespread praise for its electric driving experience, expressive design and impressive performance. As it ramps up production, Tesla has been particularly parsimonious with test vehicles, however, and despite multiple attempts by NACTOY to confirm seat time, few jurors have been able to drive and assess the car.

Well, not sure how much a NACOTY win is really worth given that the Volt may not have gained much from it at the end of the day. All the same, it'd have been great free publicity for Tesla.

But, I greatly appreciate Tesla putting us reservation holders ahead of empty trophies!

So it looks like the Tesla Model S isn't on the "short list" of finalists for the North American Car of the Year award. I noticed that Grendal posted this in the Motor Trend COTY thread:

That will be another major milestone when the Model S wins European Car of the Year. Another major award is North American Car of the Year and the Model S isn't even on their short list for 2013! If it wins next year, the 2012 Tesla Model S will win the 2014 North American Car of the Year. Wouldn't that be really weird?

Does anyone know if it's possible for a 2012 car to win the 2014 North American Car of the Year?