Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S might be…. Better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I’m 35, 6 foot 7, have been driving a bmw m3 competition for the last 5 years as my daily driver, loved it, but loved the tesla tech. And the space in the car… there’s nothing like it for my legs.

got good as one pedal driving on my test drive. I never knew I had “motion sickness” - I was always disoriented after flight for an hour or two, and after train rides for a bit. Dizzy and sick feeling. I feel it RIGHT away in the tesla.

I rented a model Y, I’m a week in and still feel sick. Was planning on keeping it for 2 more weeks because I’m hoping it “gets better”.

I love everything about this car but obviously this sensation is a red flag. Does it get better? Am I screwed ? Is this all EV’s ??

Or maybe it’s the suspension on the Y? Ugh. It’s hard to accept!

Looking for “it gets better” or “it doesn’t” thoughts. My fear is that for some people, EV’s just won’t work.

You will get better at driving it more smoothly as opposed to getting more used poor driving.

My dogs are the most sensitive to motion sickness and they are fine. Nobody ever has an issue in my car. But I have had issues in in friends that have EV’s that don’t drive smooth.

There has been issues in Y of proper cabin pressure. And they had a faulty part or faulty adjustment. Same as a rear window being open and getting that buffeting but subtle and complaints they didn’t feel well. It wasn’t motion.

Upvote 0
I've had passengers (one passenger, actually) complain about motion sickness in my MS when I'm not watching how quickly I take my foot off the accelerator when I want to slow down a bit. Making a conscious effort to withdraw my foot more carefully seemed to satisfy them. It's quite possible that you're still used to driving an ICE car without regen and are doing that movement too abruptly. You definitely build the muscle memory for regen over time, so this may improve for you.

Also, though I actually prefer the stronger ("standard") regen profile, Tesla used to have a "low" regen option that works more like a traditional ICE car - I'd compare it to engine braking with a standard transmission car. I've heard they're possibly bringing that option back, but you never know with Tesla.

Speaking of the MY to MS difference, I do feel the MS might be better for you. Like others mentioned, the MS definitely feels more planted, and you absolutely feel the momentum of the heavier platform. The MY, by comparison, feels almost violent in the way it accel/decel.

Upvote 0
I rented a model Y, I’m a week in and still feel sick. Was planning on keeping it for 2 more weeks because I’m hoping it “gets better”.
I am Mr. Motion Sickness. Not sure about the newer ones but my original Model X is great. Super roomie, great visibility, solid and good ventilation. I never get motion sickness in this car. One reason I will hold onto it as long as I can.

Reactions: Pricedm
Upvote 0
On a sensitive day wife has reported motion sickness in MS.
Only on days she does not feel well. I attribute it
to our Air Suspension option so we can adjust ride height up for curbs.
Drove a an M3 loaner from the local SC for a day recently and the
lovely stable ride showed clearly how
the MS air suspension affects the feel.

Upvote 0
It's the high Gs from the motors, it only gets better with a plaid. But the 670 HP of my Feb 2022 MSLR is plenty. Maybe you need a G suit to keep the blood in the head.
Strangely I get it even when reversing slowly out of a parking spot. But I don’t feel terrible as I’m flooring it. The bmw m3 competition has around 500 HP and some decent torque - I’ve never had an issue in that car and I’ve beat the crap out of it. I can’t tell if this is an EV problem as I do get light headed and dizzy for about an hour after flights as well.

You think I should try the plaid ?

Upvote 0
On a sensitive day wife has reported motion sickness in MS.
Only on days she does not feel well. I attribute it
to our Air Suspension option so we can adjust ride height up for curbs.
Drove a an M3 loaner from the local SC for a day recently and the
lovely stable ride showed clearly how
the MS air suspension affects the feel.
Are you saying the suspension makes it worse? I was hoping the S would be better than the Y for my sickness…

Upvote 0
I am Mr. Motion Sickness. Not sure about the newer ones but my original Model X is great. Super roomie, great visibility, solid and good ventilation. I never get motion sickness in this car. One reason I will hold onto it as long as I can.
Ok I need to be talking to you! I get motion sickness (not puking, more like out of it, disoriented, dizzy) for a an hour or two after I’m on planes and trains - and teslas. Never cars. Are you similar?

I want the tesla more than I’ve wanted any car before. It’s so fun. So I’ll buy any model… I just want to make sure “this” isn’t going to be a long term issue …

Upvote 0
I've had passengers (one passenger, actually) complain about motion sickness in my MS when I'm not watching how quickly I take my foot off the accelerator when I want to slow down a bit. Making a conscious effort to withdraw my foot more carefully seemed to satisfy them. It's quite possible that you're still used to driving an ICE car without regen and are doing that movement too abruptly. You definitely build the muscle memory for regen over time, so this may improve for you.

Also, though I actually prefer the stronger ("standard") regen profile, Tesla used to have a "low" regen option that works more like a traditional ICE car - I'd compare it to engine braking with a standard transmission car. I've heard they're possibly bringing that option back, but you never know with Tesla.

Speaking of the MY to MS difference, I do feel the MS might be better for you. Like others mentioned, the MS definitely feels more planted, and you absolutely feel the momentum of the heavier platform. The MY, by comparison, feels almost violent in the way it accel/decel.
Is the MS just a better car in every way than the MY? Disregarding price - is it as roomy and everything for the driver too?

Yeah, this issue has sucked. I’ve been reading about others who experience something similar but not quite as profound as this.

Reactions: idealsol
Upvote 0