Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Late 2020?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I was ordering a Model Y performance, Has test driving in it recently..
What I hate, was the stiffness and the High sitting position compared to my BMW 4 series.

Now I was looking for a used model S.
A 2020 model, 'build' (or delivered), December 2020 with 62K miles (100k km's) (¢69k(dollar) €65k euro). In this country only 3 are for sale as occasion as a 2020 model, all around the 60k mile range. It shows dual motor, so think its a longrange, (how can I check if its long range of long range+ ?)

The price is around the same, but before I go visit this car.. is this the 'good' recent 2020 version of The model S?

I'm really struggling with buying a new 2023 MY performance, or a used model S. Because I think the comfort, and the overal sitting position in the car is better (for me).
I like the model more, because it's more close to my Bmw 4 series. and sit lower.. but will testdrive it.

The first thing my wife said with test-driving the Model y.. the stiffness.. I didn't feel because my Bmw 4 series is stiff also.
But as far I read.. The model S did get a update with suspension and stuff from 04.2020..

As said, the price is around the same..

Is this a good buy, compared to the Y performance 2023?

I just drivin with it.. it’s a longrange plus I did see in the display, so that’s the ‘good’ version?
But, with testdrive, the rear shaft make a whoble/shaking noise when accelerating fast.. did read that’s a ‘normal’ problem, or Must be fixed? It’s out of warranty because of the mileage..

Was on low driving position

Shaking/wobbling is not “normal” so I would avoid that car.

Have you considered a new non-performance Model Y? It will still have higher seating, but the ride shouldn’t be as stiff.

I think the 2020 Model S still uses a key fob. The 2021+ refresh switched to key cards and phone key.

The way it drives/sits/feels.. I will prefer 100% the Model S.. just driven with it for the first time. before only the model Y.
The thing I read about the rear shaft with hard acceleration is that's a common problem on the S, that comes back, even when it's fixed. But dont know how serious it is to get it fixed. Read about repair about 1800 per side.
I hear it shaking when accelerating like maximum.. dont know how to explain in English.. but curious about other model S Longrange owners experience with this.

The way it drives/sits/feels.. I will prefer 100% the Model S.. just driven with it for the first time. before only the model Y.
The thing I read about the rear shaft with hard acceleration is that's a common problem on the S, that comes back, even when it's fixed. But dont know how serious it is to get it fixed. Read about repair about 1800 per side.
I hear it shaking when accelerating like maximum.. dont know how to explain in English.. but curious about other model S Longrange owners experience with this.
If it has shaft problems the vibration might start with not that hard acceleration and is proportional to acceleration. Some cars have it worse than others.

The model I visit (with the shaft noise on the back) is a December 2020 model. The dashboard says: 'Long range plus'.
i see another Model s 2020 as occasion from September 2020. the dashboard says only: 'Long range'. It has a bit more milage but maybe for me its worth it to visit.

Is it the same car? Or is the 'plus' edition worth more/have other battery?

If it has shaft problems the vibration might start with not that hard acceleration and is proportional to acceleration. Some cars have it worse than others.
its only notable when you accelerate hard.. not in normal condition, or accelerate a little.
Only vibrate when you put feet down the floor. Just looking if this is a thing to not buy the car, when its a 'normal' model S problem.. I see it as a normal model S problem that's not a real important fix.

its only notable when you accelerate hard.. not in normal condition, or accelerate a little.
Only vibrate when you put feet down the floor. Just looking if this is a thing to not buy the car, when its a 'normal' model S problem.. I see it as a normal model S problem that's not a real important fix.
It sounds like you really want a Model S, so if the wobbling during the rare times you put the pedal to the metal doesn’t bother you, then get this car. Personally, I’d wait to get a used refresh - understanding that it may result in a bit of a wait. I’d put in an “order” with the local dealer saying to let you know as soon as a refreshed S comes up for sale.

I sold my 2019 X because of the issue. And mine wasn’t bad. I could feel it when AutoPilot was driving. Problem is you need to ride in low height to minimize it. The higher the worse it is. But the lower you run the worse you wear your tires out. Only fix is adjustable camber control arms so you can keep it in low without tire problems. Both X and S had the issue. Refresh S and X has a similar issue it is only under light acceleration.