Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance in Ontario is pretty expensive... even more so if you live in the Greater Toronto Area.

I have a perfect 6-star no claims rating, have a multi-car discount as well as a discount for having my two residential properties with the same company. I only carry $1 million liability and have $400 deductible Collision and $200 deductible Comprehensive coverage.

My current Cadillac CTS costs $2,016 / year. I shop this around every couple of years and have been unable to do any better.

My broker had a bit of trouble looking up the Tesla Model S, but after much discussion and periods of waiting on hold, he came back with an estimate of $2,305 for the exact same coverage. He asked what the car costs and I told him they ranged from $64,500 to north of $100,000 minus the $8,500 EV rebate. I think this estimate is based on the lower end of the price range. He cautioned that this is only an estimate and that he would need the VIN number to work up a quote.

I guess about $300 more a year for a new (more expensive) Model S vs. a 3 year old Cadillac is really not too bad...

That's crazy. And people were complaining about yearly service charges...

Insurance in Ontario is pretty expensive... even more so if you live in the Greater Toronto Area.

I have a perfect 6-star no claims rating, have a multi-car discount as well as a discount for having my two residential properties with the same company. I only carry $1 million liability and have $400 deductible Collision and $200 deductible Comprehensive coverage.

My current Cadillac CTS costs $2,016 / year. I shop this around every couple of years and have been unable to do any better.

My broker had a bit of trouble looking up the Tesla Model S, but after much discussion and periods of waiting on hold, he came back with an estimate of $2,305 for the exact same coverage. He asked what the car costs and I told him they ranged from $64,500 to north of $100,000 minus the $8,500 EV rebate. I think this estimate is based on the lower end of the price range. He cautioned that this is only an estimate and that he would need the VIN number to work up a quote.

I guess about $300 more a year for a new (more expensive) Model S vs. a 3 year old Cadillac is really not too bad...

Canadian Insurance Quotes

I recognize that everyone will have various factors working into their insurance rate (i.e. discounts from other policies, driving record, etc...). Just wanted to get a sense of who is offering the best deal for EVs as some companies are posting EV-specific discounts. So far I've spoken with RBC Insurance who couldn't put together a quote until I had a VIN number. The second one, Desjardins, offered up the following:

Vehicle : 2012 Telsa Model S Signature
Total Annual Premium: $2083
Coverage:
Liability: $1,000,000
Collision: $2,000
Comprehensive: $1,000
Trouble-Free Option: Included
OPCF/SEF 43: 5-Year New Vehicle Protection: Included
Accident Free
Protection: Included​

What are others finding out in the market place?

Hey mknox I was going to reply to you in the Model S Canadian deliveries thread but this belongs here and I figure you'll find it...

I've found kanetix.ca a good resource in the past. RBC's qutoes are usually the worst that get spit out there for me. They are so bad in fact they are 100% more than some of the lower priced ones, (desjardins, Aviva etc.)

Hey mknox I was going to reply to you in the Model S Canadian deliveries thread but this belongs here and I figure you'll find it...

I've found kanetix.ca a good resource in the past. RBC's qutoes are usually the worst that get spit out there for me. They are so bad in fact they are 100% more than some of the lower priced ones, (desjardins, Aviva etc.)

Thanks! RBC came in the lowest when I last shopped around, but that was probably 2-3 years ago. They even beat all the other quotes I had on my two residential properties. I guess it's about time I shopped around again. One thing that really kills is being in the GTA... rates are significantly higher than other parts of Ontario.

I just tried belairdirect.com. I live in Montreal and the online quote came to $1323 with 2M liability and $250 deductible and replacement value. That's pretty good I think!

I'm going to give them a try here in Ontario. The only way for you (and us) to know if the quote you got is "good" would be to compare with a quote they give you for a similar car (Panamera, 5-Series etc.). They may (or may not) be charging a premium for the "unknown factor" of the Model S.

Saskatchewan Insurance rates...

I was actually a bit shocked here. For the standard SGI insurance package the premium is only $1084 (which includes a $255 discount for my perfect driving record). That's $300 less than my 2011 Audi TT! Strangely, the Signature Edition is a bit more at $1139 (less $268). This goes back to whomever set the premiums not really knowing the difference between trims. However, that's still quite a remarkable rate for a brand new vehicle with a powerful engine and mostly unique parts.

However, it should also be mentioned that the above coverage is comprehensive but limited. I'd need to provide more specific vehicle info in order to add a package policy that includes better coverage, but I wouldn't expect that to add more than a few hundred dollars.

Ontario - RBC Insurance

Just got a preliminary quote of $961/year for $1M in liability, $2,500 deductible for collision/comprehensive from RBC. Used the non-performance VIN number from another thread to obtain it as I'm still waiting on my VIN. Based on the decoding it matches what I'm expecting (Non-Perf Signature). Was quite surprised that it comes in cheaper than our Honda Civic and Honda Fit - they'll call me back in 48 hours to confirm once they have the final results from the insurance bureau.

Just got a preliminary quote of $961/year for $1M in liability, $2,500 deductible for collision/comprehensive from RBC. Used the non-performance VIN number from another thread to obtain it as I'm still waiting on my VIN. Based on the decoding it matches what I'm expecting (Non-Perf Signature). Was quite surprised that it comes in cheaper than our Honda Civic and Honda Fit - they'll call me back in 48 hours to confirm once they have the final results from the insurance bureau.

Good Lord, I've got to move out of the GTA. I got quotes of $2,305 + tax from RBC and $2,534 + tax from Belair Direct for a non-Performance, non-Sig Model S. This is with a 6-star, no claims rating plus multi-vehicle and home/auto discounts!

Just spoke to Belair Direct (Quebec) for my Signature S. Was quoted $1004+Tax for $500 collision deductible and $250 deductible on Vandalism/Fire with full replacement for 2 years. Seems to be a very good price. Have to say that I insure 4 other cars and have a few discount options (professional order, etc) but overall, I find them to be quite competitive (My Roadster costs me about $600 a year). Now if only I could have a delivery date to lock in the damn insurance quote! :)

Just spoke to Belair Direct (Quebec) for my Signature S. Was quoted $1004+Tax for $500 collision deductible and $250 deductible on Vandalism/Fire with full replacement for 2 years. Seems to be a very good price. Have to say that I insure 4 other cars and have a few discount options (professional order, etc) but overall, I find them to be quite competitive (My Roadster costs me about $600 a year). Now if only I could have a delivery date to lock in the damn insurance quote! :)

interesting i did an online quote through them about 3 weeks ago and this is what i got back ...

$1,401 or$116.75
Premium / yearPremium / month

5% tax not included

With belairdirect you get:
· 24/7 Claims Service
· Online Tools:
o View and print documents
o Manage your policy
o Track your claims

2012 TESLA MODEL S 4DR

offer_V.gif
PREFERRED

$1,401.00 / year

Coverage

email_bullet.gif
Liability
$1,000,000.00

email_bullet.gif
Deductible for Collision or Upset
$500.00

email_bullet.gif
Deductible for Comprehensive
$250.00

email_bullet.gif
Accident benefits
email_check.gif

Selected Options

email_bullet.gif
Autocomfort®
Get your replacement car rental fees reimbursed — and more.
email_check.gif

email_bullet.gif
The Crash-Proof Policy®
Protect your good driving record and your premium at belairdirect as a result of an at-fault accident.
email_check.gif

email_bullet.gif
Replacement Cost
No deduction for the depreciation of the vehicle’s value.
email_check.gif

interesting i did an online quote through them about 3 weeks ago and this is what i got back ...

$1,401 or$116.75
Premium / yearPremium / month

5% tax not included

With belairdirect you get:
· 24/7 Claims Service
· Online Tools:
o View and print documents
o Manage your policy
o Track your claims

2012 TESLA MODEL S 4DR

offer_V.gif
PREFERRED

$1,401.00 / year

Coverage

email_bullet.gif
Liability
$1,000,000.00

email_bullet.gif
Deductible for Collision or Upset
$500.00

email_bullet.gif
Deductible for Comprehensive
$250.00

email_bullet.gif
Accident benefits
email_check.gif

Selected Options

email_bullet.gif
Autocomfort®
Get your replacement car rental fees reimbursed — and more.
email_check.gif

email_bullet.gif
The Crash-Proof Policy®
Protect your good driving record and your premium at belairdirect as a result of an at-fault accident.
email_check.gif

email_bullet.gif
Replacement Cost
No deduction for the depreciation of the vehicle’s value.
email_check.gif

Depends on other factors too like driving record etc. I also have 4 other cars with them and that gives me like 20% discount. Brings your value much closer to mine.