Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So from this data, can I assume that I will be obtaining ~59mi per hour up to 258miles range? (on a HPWC at 80A)

About, yes. There are some other factors here, such as your voltage (I start at 248-250V, which is 4% higher than most homes). If you have to operate under lower voltage, it will proportionally lower your charging rate. From what I've seen, assume ~57-58 per hour up to about 255 miles or so.

Last edited:
About, yes. There are some other factors here, such as your voltage (I start at 248-250V, which is 4% higher than most homes). If you have to operate under lower voltage, it will proportionally lower your charging rate. From what I've seen, assume ~57-58 per hour up to about 255 miles or so.

I've got an "A" battery, but otherwise I am not sure why our mileage varies so much. I get about 255-257 rated miles in a 100% charge on my 22 month old "A" battery with 21,000 miles. At about 225-228 rated miles (90%) charge, my charge rate starts to taper such that it takes over an hour to get to completion.

Below is a screen shot of the end of charging that I did this morning before starting on a 300 mile drive from Pagosa to Boulder, CO. The car started at about 205 miles and started a timed charge at 6:00. I have 240+ Volts and 80 Amps charging. That gives me about 57-58 mph charging. If the full rate charge had gone to the end, It would have taken under an hour to get to 256 rated miles. However, it was still charging at 1:28 into the charge cycle, approximately consistent with full rate to 90% rated miles (half hour) and then an hour tapering to almost 100%.

What is different about our observations? Shouldn't the end taper on a Supercharger when it is charging at less then 20 kW be similar to observations on an HPWC? It's the same battery to be careful with...

Charge Taper.PNG

Have a graph like mine? Or run VisibleTesla? That would let us see what charge current you're using at what % SOC. Maybe the "A" packs are treated differently on level 2 charges. The important factor is current and SOC, not mileage range - but as you see from my graph, mine doesn't taper until 98% or so.

Have a graph like mine? Or run VisibleTesla? That would let us see what charge current you're using at what % SOC. Maybe the "A" packs are treated differently on level 2 charges. The important factor is current and SOC, not mileage range - but as you see from my graph, mine doesn't taper until 98% or so.

I will try to gather some data, but as I said, my "A" pack tapers on an HPWC very much like the end taper on a Supercharger. This also happens to be close to the regen limit that I see on long, mountain descents (sustained regen) when I have more than 200 rated miles in the battery. This makes sense to me give that it is the same battery charging limit in all three cases.

I will try to gather some data, but as I said, my "A" pack tapers on an HPWC very much like the end taper on a Supercharger. This also happens to be close to the regen limit that I see on long, mountain descents (sustained regen) when I have more than 200 rated miles in the battery. This makes sense to me give that it is the same battery charging limit in all three cases.

I don't know what to tell you without seeing some further data... probably just need to see the graphs at this point (and maybe additional data points).

Did a range charge this morning in anticipation of another trip - taper started between 10:10 and 10:11, at 97% SOC:

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 10.29.35 AM.png

(Note this isn't the complete graph and the drop-off shown at the right is false, I just graphed it before balancing stopped.)

Anyone else want to offer VisibleTesla or TeslaMS graphs to compare?

Not as pretty, but here is a graph of power consumed from last winter by my Model S, Sig#37, with its original "A" battery as a I did a final range charge. The ups and downs are from me turning the heat on and off with the app to get the car preheated for a winter hypermile adventure. The many on and offs were to see how much power the pre-heat was drawing, but the bottoms show what the car was drawing for charging.

Range Charge Complete w heat.png

The taper in my curve started at about 7:10 and was not complete until almost 9:00, let's call that 1.75 hours from start of taper until charge complete. The total energy in that time (charging part only) was about 12 kW-hr. Your curves show the whole taper taking place in a little over 15 min with a total energy of about 3 kW-hr.

Clearly there is something very different in our observations of the taper on a 20 kW HPWC. Is that difference caused by "A" vs "B" battery or is there something else going on? Besides the 90 kW Supercharger power limit for "A" batteries. Is there a much more conservative (much longer time) taper on the "A" batteries?

Note that my graphs aren't complete -- my taper takes place over 30-35 minutes or so, I just stop showing you them after a while because by then the car has hit 100% range and it's just balancing after that. This morning, my 100% hit at 10:20 am but the taper kept going while things balanced.

The one thing missing from your chart is SOC. Any chance you'll do a range charge in the future? Can you run VisibleTesla when you do it to collect info?

Does anyone have any pictures of exterior, non-wall mounted installations similar to this one? I'm assisting a location that is interested in Destination Charging and there is some confusion over whether the HPWC can be installed on a pedestal.

HPWC outdoor install?

Thanks!

Hi Ethan,

I assume you're referring to the Streamsong Resort?

I've spoken with the Destination Charging Program folks and you can definitely mount HPWCs on poles.

Here's a couple of examples they provided:

Ritz-Carlton Golf Club Naples.JPG

Ritz-Carlton Naples, Florida

tesla-charging-station-courtyard-marriott-wausau.png

Courtyard Marriot Wausau

Let me know if I can assist you.

Regards,

Larry

Last edited:
So now that Tesla dropped the price of the HPWC, I'm considering getting one (I've been charging via the UMC on a 14-50 for 16+ months now).

Since I only have a single charger, I'd only use a 50A breaker -- is it easy to re-use the 14-50 wiring? What are the basic steps (I like to understand what's needed when I ask for electrician quotes...).

Our panel is literally on the other side of the wall from the 14-50 outlet, so doing another run isn't that big of a deal (although I don't think we could put in another 50A breaker -- so the HPWC would replace the 14-50)...

So now that Tesla dropped the price of the HPWC, I'm considering getting one (I've been charging via the UMC on a 14-50 for 16+ months now).

Since I only have a single charger, I'd only use a 50A breaker -- is it easy to re-use the 14-50 wiring? What are the basic steps (I like to understand what's needed when I ask for electrician quotes...).

Our panel is literally on the other side of the wall from the 14-50 outlet, so doing another run isn't that big of a deal (although I don't think we could put in another 50A breaker -- so the HPWC would replace the 14-50)...

I had a 14-50 installed, my electrician easily hooked up the HPWC when it was delivered.

Yes, it's very easy to reuse the same wire if the breaker remains 50A and the HPWC is set for 50A breaker; you won't use the neutral.

The only reason you might consider seeing if you can place another circuit there is as a backup to the HPWC. However, if you're comfortable with the ability to switch it if it fails, you can do that too.

Electricians would probably scream bloody murder but I would think one could put a 14-50P pigtail on the HPWC and use the existing 14-50R receptacle. Just make sure the HPWC is set to limit 50A.

My home only has 200A service so adding a 100A circuit for HPWC is stretching things especially considering I normally charge at night and my home's biggest potential draw would be emergency resistance heating at night during the winter. Even on the UMC I limit the timed charge to 25A simply because thats plenty to be done in time.

Electricians would probably scream bloody murder but I would think one could put a 14-50P pigtail on the HPWC and use the existing 14-50R receptacle. Just make sure the HPWC is set to limit 50A.

My home only has 200A service so adding a 100A circuit for HPWC is stretching things especially considering I normally charge at night and my home's biggest potential draw would be emergency resistance heating at night during the winter. Even on the UMC I limit the timed charge to 25A simply because thats plenty to be done in time.

While I'm not an electrician, I'm pretty sure installing the HPWC via a 14-50 pigtail would be code compliant. Either way works.

So my HPWC got a rough install today (power being connected Thursday after the panel upgrade to 200A) and I've got it on a 100A breaker. The electrician said I need to have a cut-off switch near the charger as that is code. I went back in this thread and noticed some HPWC have this nearby and others don't. I like the clean look of not having this massive box next to my nice modern, sleek charger. Anyone have experience with this before my inspection on Thursday?
HPWC open.jpg
HPWC rough install.jpg

So my HPWC got a rough install today (power being connected Thursday after the panel upgrade to 200A) and I've got it on a 100A breaker. The electrician said I need to have a cut-off switch near the charger as that is code. I went back in this thread and noticed some HPWC have this nearby and others don't. I like the clean look of not having this massive box next to my nice modern, sleek charger. Anyone have experience with this before my inspection on Thursday?
View attachment 64980View attachment 64981
I responded in another thread but for completeness this is exactly what I have now. My electrician omitted this initially and we failed the inspection. Given I'm in Calgary this is probably a good indicator that this will be typical now in Calgary. I think it depends on a few other factors but basically there needs to be a co located shut off.