Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla could curb so many of these canceled orders if they offered retrofits for these minor feature updates. Ambient lights should be dead simple since all of our cars already have the wiring. Front bumper camera would require a little bit of work, but should still be perfect feasible.
Tesla could curb so many of these canceled orders if they offered retrofits for these minor feature updates. Ambient lights should be dead simple since all of our cars already have the wiring. Front bumper camera would require a little bit of work, but should still be perfect feasible.
Or just make changes on predictable schedules like model years like everyone else. Or they could raise the order fee. But they don't care. I'm sure the vast majority of people aren't paying attention to these things. It's like 10 of us on this thread versus the thousands of cars they sell

And why pay $2000 extra for lights if they are going to start coming with the car anyway. According to Teslascope these new updates hit the production line today. Hopefully they are right. Guess will see how the rest of today goes.

For those that just took delivery or won't forfeit their $250 and potentially an FSD or FUSC transfer. I believe the current 2024 already has the RGB lighting harness which would mean if you can find someone at Tesla to do a config, it should work if you added the stock parts.

The HW4 computer already has the unused front camera slot so a retrofit should also be straight forward but it might require a config change by someone that has more than just Toolbox 3 access.

The reality is, we've all accepted the Vision disclaimer that parking assistance won't be working correctly for a while, but they're eventually going to have to make good on it with Vision which means retrofits at some point since we know it will never work in the front with the missing camera.

Damn. This news about the camera and ambient lighting coming is frustrating. I've been waiting for a car since November. But my current order was in before the price increase and I've already used my one hold, so I don't have many options to delay anymore. My car was built February 20th, so I guess we'll see if it has the updates at delivery.. grrr
I am in the same boat and delivery scheduled to sunday. I hope news come out today, i might burn $250 + old paint discount of $2500. Or i dont know… if light plus camera worth $2750 or not. Advice?

. I believe the current 2024 already has the RGB lighting harness which would mean if you can find someone at Tesla to do a config, it should work if you added the stock parts.
Every S since start of production has the wiring actually. Doesn't necessarily mean Tesla will offer a retrofit, but does give me hope that it won't be too much work for us to do.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
FWIW, my 2024 Model S LR which has been on "hold" due to EPA seems to be ready for delivery next week. I got a message from the app saying that I can schedule my delivery. Not sure if this will get cancelled or not, but fingers crossed for Tuesday late afternoon. Looking forward to finally getting my car!
Congrats brother, keep us posted.

For those that just took delivery or won't forfeit their $250 and potentially an FSD or FUSC transfer. I believe the current 2024 already has the RGB lighting harness which would mean if you can find someone at Tesla to do a config, it should work if you added the stock parts.

The HW4 computer already has the unused front camera slot so a retrofit should also be straight forward but it might require a config change by someone that has more than just Toolbox 3 access.

The reality is, we've all accepted the Vision disclaimer that parking assistance won't be working correctly for a while, but they're eventually going to have to make good on it with Vision which means retrofits at some point since we know it will never work in the front with the missing camera.
Why do you believe the '24s have the RGB wiring harness? I'd love to read more on this.

I would have gladly canceled my order and paid another $250 to get the latest updates. It's actually pretty awesome to have that option even up to the day of delivery. You can always reject even after the delivery appointment and if for cause, you get to keep your order. But even without cause, it's $250 to be able to get a minor refresh that will probably be current for quite some time.

I would have gladly canceled my order and paid another $250 to get the latest updates. It's actually pretty awesome to have that option even up to the day of delivery. You can always reject even after the delivery appointment and if for cause, you get to keep your order. But even without cause, it's $250 to be able to get a minor refresh that will probably be current for quite some time.
I'm not sure about "some time". Tesla has been updating the 21+ "Refresh" every handful of months. Interior trim options, steam hardware, plaid writing vs badge, rear screen size changes, tilting front screen, headlight/tail light changes, rear trunk lid from tesla badge to writing "tesla", steering wheel instead of yoke, yoke/steering wheel button changes. It's been continuous change over the last 3 years. I'd be more pissed if I was a 21 owner seeing the headlight/tail changes after having my car be called the "refresh".

I'm not sure about "some time". Tesla has been updating the 21+ "Refresh" every handful of months. Interior trim options, steam hardware, plaid writing vs badge, rear screen size changes, tilting front screen, headlight/tail light changes, rear trunk lid from tesla badge to writing "tesla", steering wheel instead of yoke, yoke/steering wheel button changes. It's been continuous change over the last 3 years. I'd be more pissed if I was a 21 owner seeing the headlight/tail changes after having my car be called the "refresh".

Yea, I meant just for at least a few months. They sometimes go 6 months without any feature changes. I know they have line changes several times a week which is unheard of in the auto industry.

Unlike my MXP which had just tons of interior NVH issues from day one, this MSP so far has nothing. It's completely silent. I swear it's even quieter than my MXP was but there's also a bigger difference when turning off active noise cancellation. With the MXP, you could just hear the difference. With this one it's far more obvious.

Unlike my MXP which had just tons of interior NVH issues from day one, this MSP so far has nothing. It's completely silent. I swear it's even quieter than my MXP was but there's also a bigger difference when turning off active noise cancellation. With the MXP, you could just hear the difference. With this one it's far more obvious.
Unfortunately the active noise cancellation in mine makes road noise worse. But I think that’s because of the tires I’m running (ps as4).

I am overall impressed with the noise control at high speeds. This car really comes into its own above 100 IMO. Too bad no autobahns in the US

Reactions: sorka
So I noticed Tesla updated the drive unit oil in tool box to "KAF1"

View attachment 1023578

Looking through the Plaid EPA docs (LR still not uploaded), I noticed they list both "EDF2" (which I believe was the old fluid) and "KAF I"

View attachment 1023579

2023 docs show only EDF2. The main difference with the new fluid appears to be that it is not quite as thick at extreme temperatures. It appears they've already been using KAF I in the 4DU drive units in the model 3 / y. I wonder if that's part of the 2024 efficiency changes. And if that actually has a tangible benefit to range, I wonder if that's something worth doing for the rest of us.

2021 and 2022 docs show Mobil1 Dexron VI as the fluid, which is thicker still at extreme temps (11500 cP @ -40), still roughly same at 100C. Trying to look up the 40C numbers to calculate the viscosity curves. Mobil1 Dexron VI is 29.5cP @ 40C. Can't find the numbers for EDF2 or KAF I just yet.
@terranx are you thinking to change this fluid? Seems easy enough to do.

I think most of the refresh changes have occurred between Feb and March each year, starting in 22

I've got a thought....

My order date is Dec. 8th, 2023: Model S Long Range, Stealth Grey Paint, Ebony interior, 19' Wheels, Steering Wheel, FSD.

Most of us placed our orders when the estimated delivery date was at the end to the beginning of the year. We took a 3-mile hit from the EPA seige. For some, like myself who have yet to received a VIN, EDD pushed several times, etc. Current EDD is March 12th - March 31st BTW with similar models local to me.
Screenshot_20240301_133758_Tesla.jpg

So... Here's my thought... what if our patience pays off and we end up getting the ambient lighting and bumper camera? What if it's Tesla's way of saying... 'My bad for the shenanigans", Take this gift before we raise the prices of the 2024 Model S. Maybe I'm too much of a glass-half-full person but I'm trying to wrap my head around why the one in the snapshot wasn't matched to me. When I called they said that I could be matched with this vehicle but I told them that I'll just wait for my vin to be assigned. Just sharing a thought.

I've seen several post on here of people ordering MSLRs in Feb and taking delivery already... which ignites a few questions... were they ordering from existing inventory? Did they purchase FSD? Does the purchase of FSD have anything to do with the push of dates for those who did not order from inventory nor purchase FSD concerning the EDD being pushed? I guess what I'm trying to get to is... if you purchased FSD and have not been given a VIN wouldn't it make sense for those purchases to receive a newly featured front camera by offsetting the price of what is to come? Maybe I'm just digging and my brain is braining.

Last edited: