Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's that post on facebook talking about not being able to sell the MSLR until a Feb 14th software update. They might be taking away the drag strip mode. Though, the odd question is why the heck the EPA would have to test the car in drag strip mode anyway.... It's clearly for the drag strip. I guess VW / emissions defeat devices, etc... but still. Come on.
So much info here.
- can't sell 2024 MSLR until valentines day
- target software update on valentines day
- drag strip mode taken on valentines day
- VW influences taking of drag mode
Where is all this coming from?

• Funny
Reactions: teko
So much info here.
- can't sell 2024 MSLR until valentines day
- target software update on valentines day
- drag strip mode taken on valentines day
- VW influences taking of drag mode
Where is all this coming from?

I don't think so. I think pricing is locked in when you submit the order. The website still shows the original pricing and I haven't confirmed anything about delivery.

Except there are multiple posts in this thread where someone didn't accept the EPA changes until after the 16th and their order price showed an increase based on color selection. Nobody complained about this being an issue if they accepted before the evening of the 16th.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Except there are multiple posts in this thread where someone didn't accept the EPA changes until after the 16th and their order price showed an increase based on color selection. Nobody complained about this being an issue if they accepted before the evening of the 16th.
Right. I accepted the order changes, but I haven't confirmed a delivery date or paid anything beyond the $250.

And track mode is clearly for the track, but yet some people use it on the streets. I'm pretty sure the new EPA rules are that they have to test every mode that the driver can drive in. Where before I think they only had to test "sticky" modes, i.e. where it stayed in that mode through a power cycle. (Chill, Standard, Sport, Insane, etc. are "sticky" modes.)

That is beyond dumb. Anyone who cares about range is not going to use dragstrip or track modes on the street.

That is beyond dumb. Anyone who cares about range is not going to use dragstrip or track modes on the street.
Normally I'm pro EPA, but in this issue and with the NHTSA recently....

1706804426669.png

I'm not sure why you're continuing to argue this senseless point. The answer is quite obvious on its face. The letter that was sent out is pasted below. The deadline was the 10th. The reason there was a "grace period" to the 16th was because the price increase was not implemented yet, and therefore it was easy to cancel an order, create a new order at the current pricing and get Tesla SA's to apply the order fee, as they have typically done. I'm quite sure Tesla planned it this way - they set the deadline ahead of time, which gave them a handful of days to deal with any customer service type issues for those that missed the deadline, then implemented the price increase. Sheesh.
1706804571498.png

I'm not sure why you're continuing to argue this senseless point. The answer is quite obvious on its face. The letter that was sent out is pasted below. The deadline was the 10th. The reason there was a "grace period" to the 16th was because the price increase was not implemented yet, and therefore it was easy to cancel an order, create a new order at the current pricing and get Tesla SA's to apply the order fee, as they have typically done. I'm quite sure Tesla planned it this way - they set the deadline ahead of time, which gave them a handful of days to deal with any customer service type issues for those that missed the deadline, then implemented the price increase. Sheesh.
View attachment 1014381

That's not the point I'm arguing.

There's that post on facebook talking about not being able to sell the MSLR until a Feb 14th software update. They might be taking away the drag strip mode. Though, the odd question is why the heck the EPA would have to test the car in drag strip mode anyway.... It's clearly for the drag strip. I guess VW / emissions defeat devices, etc... but still. Come on.
This happened once before, with a stopping of sales for a period of time, with the refresh S. When sales resumed nothing appeared any different. I expect this to be the same, here. I highly doubt Drag Strip mode goes away.

So many cars on Tesla info, so little time. So I filtered for CA and see a few plaids, and lots of LR with 21" wheels. Range for the latter is 382, which I think is different than '23.

Not sure why Tesla thinks so many folks would pay 4.5k more for less range, and reduced damage tolerance.

And track mode is clearly for the track, but yet some people use it on the streets. I'm pretty sure the new EPA rules are that they have to test every mode that the driver can drive in. Where before I think they only had to test "sticky" modes, i.e. where it stayed in that mode through a power cycle. (Chill, Standard, Sport, Insane, etc. are "sticky" modes.)
So looking the EPA letter sent in 2022, looks like the rules really only apply to any mode that the car will stay in, so track mode and drag strip mode don’t apply. Previous testing was probably in chill mode then.

Question remains what the heck Tesla did to keep the same range on the LR if the tires didn’t change. Only thing I can think of is some of the energy saving features of chill mode (ie using battery heat to heat the cabin) now apply in all modes. And perhaps that’s related to the top speed reduction (need more heat in the batteries and motors to hit higher speeds or something)

• Informative
Reactions: VikH and sorka