Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, the conspiracy theories! We have bounced from EPA delays to forced cancellations in a 12 hour window! I get it. When there’s a lack of communication people assume the worst. My December 6 order still shows about the same delivery window it did since I ordered. Still says February 2 to March 8. I’m fine to let them sort out whatever the issues are.
I still think lack of a certificate of conformity is probably what stopped them from producing the Plaids altogether for that initial period. And Tesla is known to have prioritized higher dollar transactions when possible in the past.

What I think is far less likely is them implementing some major unannounced change.

I still think lack of a certificate of conformity is probably what stopped them from producing the Plaids altogether for that initial period. And Tesla is known to have prioritized higher dollar transactions when possible in the past.

What I think is far less likely is them implementing some major unannounced change.
Well said. Couldn’t agree more.

EDIT: from the Model X forums, I think the people having pricing problems now are caught in a loop having not accepted or acted on the terms to update their 2023 design to 2024 design by the date required - January 10th I believe it was. Those who did not accept are holding an order for an unbuildable model. Now they have to order the 2024 design with the resulting pricing.

Last edited:
Reactions: empiredown
Second post today.
I ordered my MS LR Red in November,
in January I was assigned 2023 Vin, due to medical reasons I put my order on hold, hold finished on January 18th, and waiting for VIN since then

Now tesla started to charge extra for the color option, so today I saw my config on existing inventory on my service center for $2500 higher price, I called them if i can pick it up, and they told me only if pay $2,500 more.

And more: sales rep told me, since I ordered 2023 Tesla, and tesla do not produce 2023 cars anymore, even my order still waiting for VIn assignment, I will never get VIN assigned since that price is not available anymore!!!!!

So if i dont accept to pay the new price I will not get a new car.
Is that correct? if not how come a sales person lie like this?
I think they are correct. Since you weren't able to accept the order in time and the price changed, you get the new price. But I'd take the 2024 with the new horn anyway.

One thing that I noticed from watching the tesla-info site is that they aren't building long runs of a specific paint color right now. I've only started diving deeper and deeper into this rabbit hole of data but I really would have thought that they would have much longer runs of a specific color. For example, I checked the quantity of 2024 Model S cars this morning at 8:30 am and then again at 9:30 pm. Over that 13 hour time frame this is the change for each color:

White increased by 15
Black increased by 8
Grey increased by 9
Blue increased by 4
Red decreased by 1

Red is really interesting because I think we all saw that the first plaid was produced today and that it was red. So, I'm not sure if they pulled a couple red cars for rework but it is interesting to see that number go down.

Second post today.
I ordered my MS LR Red in November,
in January I was assigned 2023 Vin, due to medical reasons I put my order on hold, hold finished on January 18th, and waiting for VIN since then

Now tesla started to charge extra for the color option, so today I saw my config on existing inventory on my service center for $2500 higher price, I called them if i can pick it up, and they told me only if pay $2,500 more.

And more: sales rep told me, since I ordered 2023 Tesla, and tesla do not produce 2023 cars anymore, even my order still waiting for VIn assignment, I will never get VIN assigned since that price is not available anymore!!!!!

So if i dont accept to pay the new price I will not get a new car.
Is that correct? if not how come a sales person lie like this?

If you'd finished your hold before 8 pm on Jan 16th, you could have kept the old price.

Well said. Couldn’t agree more.

EDIT: from the Model X forums, I think the people having pricing problems now are caught in a loop having not accepted or acted on the terms to update their 2023 design to 2024 design by the date required - January 10th I believe it was. Those who did not accept are holding an order for an unbuildable model. Now they have to order the 2024 design with the resulting pricing.

The pricing changed on the evening of the 16th, so any time before that would have been fine.

One thing that I noticed from watching the tesla-info site is that they aren't building long runs of a specific paint color right now. I've only started diving deeper and deeper into this rabbit hole of data but I really would have thought that they would have much longer runs of a specific color. For example, I checked the quantity of 2024 Model S cars this morning at 8:30 am and then again at 9:30 pm. Over that 13 hour time frame this is the change for each color:

White increased by 15
Black increased by 8
Grey increased by 9
Blue increased by 4
Red decreased by 1

Red is really interesting because I think we all saw that the first plaid was produced today and that it was red. So, I'm not sure if they pulled a couple red cars for rework but it is interesting to see that number go down.
I think your theory of inconsistent color runs is a maybe. From watching this data for a while I think Tesla-info is mining the data from Tesla’s public facing website inventory. Tesla seems to have some other buffers in the channel. For example, if Tesla does a major run but has not shipped the product it doesn’t show in this inventory. They may also have other inventory holding points that do not show up in the public inventory yet. Also, if Tesla applies production to existing orders, I don’t think that goes into publicly available inventory either. So it could be the case that there’s a lot of open orders for red and that’s where the production went, not to inventory.

It's not a lie, it seems that the price for a new car went up while your order was on hold. Ordered but payment was on hold.
But he also needed to accept the terms of the email that went out to 2023 order holders approx January 3 that said that the range had changed, etc. He was required to log into his account online and modify the design to 2024. At that time the price was a wash. The deadline for acceptance was January 10 if memory serves. To Tesla’s credit, the communication was clear that if you didn’t do this, you would have an unbuildable order.

So instead of going to Dublin today on my way to the bay area, I decided to goto Sunnyvale instead since it said they had a '24 UR MSLR among other colors ready to pickup (not in transit). I walked in and asked to see any '24 Model S with a round wheel and he took me to the one inventory unit they had outside, opened the door, and said take your time. It took me about 2 seconds to realize it wasn't a '24. I went back in and only then did the sales rep explain that they don't keep new inventory on site and that they're a few miles away in storage. They only bring them if you buy them.

So back in 2015 when I went to test drive a P85D at the sunnyvale store, they had everything on site and ready to go. I would never have placed that $2500 deposit for a P85D had I not been able to drive it first. I have to suspect they have potential customers now that will never place an order because there is no easy way to take a test drive.

Reactions: dn325ci
Quite honestly, it’s the same car with a more realistic range estimate. All this hand wringing over lower range is a snipe hunt.

We have no proof of that yet. Tesla has stated that some of the range reduction is real due to "comfort and functionality" changes. Why would they claim there was an actual range reduction rather than blaming 100% of the listed range reduction on EPA testing changes?

We have no proof of that yet. Tesla has stated that some of the range reduction is real due to "comfort and functionality" changes. Why would they claim there was an actual range reduction rather than blaming 100% of the listed range reduction on EPA testing changes?
Because they were forced to retest the car with a 2024 build. The previous years were using the 2021 data. So it’s probably track mode or one of the various other updates in the middle in combination with the epa changes that caused the hit

Bigger question IMO is what they did to maintain the long range’s range.

Reactions: teko
But he also needed to accept the terms of the email that went out to 2023 order holders approx January 3 that said that the range had changed, etc. He was required to log into his account online and modify the design to 2024. At that time the price was a wash. The deadline for acceptance was January 10 if memory serves. To Tesla’s credit, the communication was clear that if you didn’t do this, you would have an unbuildable order.

How could the deadline be 6 days before actual price change otherwise you could just place another order after the 10th but before the evening of the 16th and still get the old price?

Because they were forced to retest the car with a 2024 build. The previous years were using the 2021 data. So it’s probably track mode or one of the various other updates in the middle in combination with the epa changes that caused the hit

Bigger question IMO is what they did to maintain the long range’s range.

But the MSLR has dragstrip mode. If the EPA started testing the '24s with both dragstrip and track mode, why didn't the MSLR at least get some of the range reduction?

But it’s not a drivetrain or battery change. It’s that “efficiency package” software they update on the regular. Seems a little wager is in order...