Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are asking if the steering ratio can be adjusted via software, the answer is no.

If you are asking if the sensitivity can be adjusted, the answer is yes. The car currently has several sensitivity modes.
The progressive ratio inverse to speed was my objective. I had hoped that this could be software enabled in time exploiting functionality resident by dormant in the current steering system. Curious your source for answering no? Your answer implies deep knowledge of the car's engineering.

I would and have paid extra for wood. I would not pay extra for CF. personal taste. I think yours looks great!
funny thing, i removed a shiny wooden panel on my benz from the dash. flipped it over, it was plastic. like WTF? this stuff looks great!
@IamGaryGnu And the "wood" is real "wood" (or real wood vaneer)! How do I know, well.... I replaced the white aluminum dash trim with a wood one. I sanded and refinished it in Walnut to match the Plaid. Also added a yoke for the same reason. Came out great, IMHO.

IMG_0291.jpeg

The progressive ratio inverse to speed was my objective. I had hoped that this could be software enabled in time exploiting functionality resident by dormant in the current steering system. Curious your source for answering no? Your answer implies deep knowledge of the car's engineering.
I have the same question since one of the biggest constructive criticism of the yoke is the need for better Turing ratio. Hoping some of that can be addressed with SW.

I remember reading early on someone had asked elon about variable speed steering, and he tweeted that was a few years away. so, as far as i know, the steering EFFORT can be adjusted at present, but that's about it.
it's also not a drive by wire system (which i think toyota and infinity have) - so if you turn the yoke X degrees, it will move the wheels Y degrees regardless of the resistance settings or vehicle speed.
I personally plan to set my yoke for middle or easy, unless i'm routinely going the speed of light with those tesla weak brakes :)

@IamGaryGnu And the "wood" is real "wood" (or real wood vaneer)! How do I know, well.... I replaced the white aluminum dash trim with a wood one. I sanded and refinished it in Walnut to match the Plaid. Also added a yoke for the same reason. Came out great, IMHO.

View attachment 742701
looks magnificent. it looks like the "dull, natural wood" versus shiny plastic coated wood (which again, I thought my benz had). mabye it does on some panels, but now i doubt it.
with real wood, without a finish, i suppose one could stain it. i figure the onlys staining will be from my kids and soda, but still.
yours looks great.
took me a bunch of swapping between the tesla site and your photo to realize that is a Y or a 3 and not an S. looks great!!!!!
if i recall correctly, i special ordered this wood with my 2015 bmw, and couldn't get it in 2018...
1639152232865.png

Last edited:
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Interesting development... no Model S/X deliveries to Europe and Asia until 2H22.

Probably because non North American customers would accept such poor build quality - and getting all those replacement "under warranty" replacement parts over seas with all the logistical challenges these days would be a nightmare?

looks magnificent. it looks like the "dull, natural wood" versus shiny plastic coated wood (which again, I thought my benz had). mabye it does on some panels, but now i doubt it.
with real wood, without a finish, i suppose one could stain it. i figure the onlys staining will be from my kids and soda, but still.
yours looks great.
took me a bunch of swapping between the tesla site and your photo to realize that is a Y or a 3 and not an S. looks great!!!!!
@IamGaryGnu I sanded, stained, then oiled. Nice and smooth; no more rough "Open pore" BS! 😀

yours looks great.
if i recall correctly, i special ordered this wood with my 2015 bmw, and couldn't get it in 2018... View attachment 742705
Yes, that was a MYP retrofit, so my "driving" experience between it and the Plaid was somewhat consistent. Now, the only think left to do in that vein is to add the vibration to the MYP! 🤣

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Maybe. When they changed the tail lights in the past they changed the wiring as well, so it isn't always a direct swap.

As long as the hard anchor points are same, someone will come up with an adapter for the wiring.

Do not mind the current tail lights. So few S in my area that they do not really look dated. But I do like the looks of those lights and would probably switch them out.

I remember reading early on someone had asked elon about variable speed steering, and he tweeted that was a few years away. so, as far as i know, the steering EFFORT can be adjusted at present, but that's about it.
it's also not a drive by wire system (which i think toyota and infinity have) - so if you turn the yoke X degrees, it will move the wheels Y degrees regardless of the resistance settings or vehicle speed.
I personally plan to set my yoke for middle or easy, unless i'm routinely going the speed of light with those tesla weak brakes :)
BMW has had for over 10 years. Awesome steering.