Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This argument could be applied to a 2 second family sedan. It could also be applied to why that sedan needs to reach 200MPH. You are also blinded by current limitations and technologies. If a thruster can accelerate you, why can't a forward thruster slow you? I mean, aren't the tires responsible for getting you to 200 MPH also responsible for getting you back to zero currently? You're complaining about getting to 100 in 2 seconds, but celebrating getting to 60 in the same time? That 's a rate of acceleration that would allow me to reach highway speeds before the end of my driveway.

Also, you can't embrace a fully electric vehicle and then say you think some other technological leap would be cheating.
This same argument could be a0pplied to the Plaid...

I think you are being silly here.
Listen man, I really like you, and I don't have time to be arguing. But there is a massive difference between a car that can reach 60 in 50 ft versus one that does it in 100. Yes the same could happen to Plaid, but there are other manufacturers striving for the same goal. NO ONE else has some boosters laying around to throw on a car. If it could boost all the way up to top speed, I would STILL not like it, but then it would be more real. My point is, this doesn't show any skill IMO to just grab something laying around to go fast. Which is more impressive: A car with NOS that makes 700hp, or a fully built GTR that makes 700 hp? This doesn't show any advancements in powertrains, or tires: It's just giving up and throwing something else in.

Last edited:
I’ve been trying to toast them since the end of June but they all avoid it like the plague around here. Either the car is too low key, or they all know to not embarrass themselves!
I’m hoping that by de-badging mine, I’ll have slightly better luck here at the local NC drag strips. But I also know that it’s often the same guys who go there every week, so I probably only have one or two passes before the word is out that it’s a Plaid.

Listen man, I really like you, and I don't have time to be arguing. But there is a massive difference between a car that can reach 60 in 50 ft versus one that does it in 100. Yes the same could happen to Plaid, but there are other manufacturers striving for the same goal. NO ONE else has some boosters laying around to throw on a car. If it could boost all the way up to top speed, I would STILL not like it, but then it would be more real. My point is, this doesn't show any skill IMO to just grab something laying around to go fast. Which is more impressive: A car with NOS that makes 700hp, or a fully built GTR that makes 700 hp. This doesn't show any advancements in powertrains, or tires: It's just giving up and throwing something else in.
It's takes no skill to get in a traction controlled EV, with consistent identical performance, and just push your foot down.

You have made a line in the sand. An arbitrary one that you chose, and are now saying "Anything faster than what I feel is enough should be banned".

And what is your issues with NOS? Your feelings towards NOS should apply to EV batteries. Right? I mean, is it impressive to just boost the current to the motors?

I like you too, but you saying going faster than the Plaid is unsafe and dangerous, while thinking a bunch of 50+ amateur drivers in a Plaid is safe. is confusing and silly. You're just one step away from thinking out loud that all software controlled cars should have acceleration and speed limit restrictions on public roads.

It's takes no skill to get in a traction controlled EV, with consistent identical performance, and just push your foot down.

You have made a line in the sand. An arbitrary one that you chose, and are now saying "Anything faster than what I feel is enough should be banned".

And what is your issues with NOS? Your feelings towards NOS should apply to EV batteries. Right? I mean, is it impressive to just boost the current to the motors?

I like you too, but you saying going faster than the Plaid is unsafe and dangerous, while thinking a bunch of 50+ amateur drivers in a Plaid is safe. is confusing and silly. You're just one step away from thinking out loud that all software controlled cars should have acceleration and speed limit restrictions on public roads.

I see where @AnselmDante is going and agree with his logic that Plaid should be banned. 🤣

Uhhh it takes massive skill and engineering prowess to DEVELOP and ENGINEER a really fast EV.

I am ABSOLUTELY not saying that anything faster than Plaid is bad or should be banned. Rimac Nevera, Lucid Air Tri-Motor, Aspark Owl, Pininfarina Battista, Koenigsegg Jesko, Koenigsegg Gemera, Tesla Roadster, Lotus Evija, Czinger 21c, Hennessey Venom F5, SSC Tuatara, etc.. I'm beyond excited for ALL of them. God I hope NONE of them EVER get banned. I'm also one of the biggest Tesla fans out there, and I truly believe their products are unbeatable in many ways. However, I'm also a CAR guy, not a rocket person. It is just my personal opinion, but having a potential boost that you likely won't even be able to use on the road due to SW, is just not car related to me. With this, a minivan could do 0-60 in 2 seconds. But when not using that boost, it tops out at 100 mph. That's not impressive. At all. This is just my personal opinion though. It is always good to have debates (about cars) on these forums.🙂

I grabbed an "available now" car last week and it is a 436XXX. Do we assume these are cars with less quality or issues or just ones build and set aside waiting for a part to complete? I haven't received it yet.
That was my impression. I’m hoping that’s not the case though. Maybe someone else can chime in here.
No, that lot remains unchanged. It was probably an early August or late July build. As a reminder, there are at least two cars out there with 430 VINs and so far zero indication that the "misfit" lot cars have moved.

Good for you. Didn’t work for me. They say my VIN is not showing any upgrades. I have FSD and am stuck at 4.9.
I’m stuck with the Buena Park SC which as a others have mentioned is not one of the most customer friendly ones.
How do you know what SC you are assigned and can you be stuck with them?. I am pretty close to Buena Park and was relying on many people's experience of having the SC help record and fix any QC issues. Is Buena Park bad? I guess I could always go to Costa Mesa or the new Irvine SC to fix any QC issues but can I really be stuck with an SC that is known as not good to take care of these issues?

Reactions: impastu
Yeah but this is dangerous. Like people have no idea how brutal this force will be, and even if it can be cutoff, picture this: 0-100 mph will be in the high 2 second range. So some idiot hits the button, and 3 seconds later he's doing exponential speed. Not only that, but what happens if the person hits the brake when these boosters are firing to stop from hitting something? Even if they cutoff immediately after that, it still is wayyy more momentum to stop.
And by cheating, I meant like where it cannot be used frequently. Not only that, but MotorMatchup has a SpaceX Roadster visualizer (https://www.motormatchup.com/simulation?id=67f655965624b0008ba947f), and once the boost is done, the car falls FLAT on its face. The acceleration after is not proportional to the acceleration just prior, so it looks like it's extremely slow. It may do 8.1 second 1/4 mile, but it's a fake 1/4 mile without the trap speed to match. It's not real. This in turns makes the car look like it's trying to be something it is not. Boosters are for rockets, NOT cars please. I personally really like cars that demonstrate their powertrain and technological developments, not relying on some entirely different industry to give them a hand. :)

Interesting discussion here. I can't say I am a big fan of the rocket boosters either. My questions are how deterministic is the power and can it be used on a road course. I would rather see more refinement in the battery and car fundamentals before this. Can we get more power out of the batteries, can we reduce weight on the car? Those are better areas to tackle, IMHO, and will result in a car that has predictable/deterministic power that is more easily put to use in a variety of situations other than just straight line acceleration.

How do you know what SC you are assigned and can you be stuck with them?. I am pretty close to Buena Park and was relying on many people's experience of having the SC help record and fix any QC issues. Is Buena Park bad? I guess I could always go to Costa Mesa or the new Irvine SC to fix any QC issues but can I really be stuck with an SC that is known as not good to take care of these issues?

No experience with BP. You are not ‘stuck’ with any unless no others are close or a ranger is not feasible. You pick the center from within the app for every service appointment. Agoura Hills SvC is fantastic and I’m sure the one opening in Camarillo will be fabulous (the gent who will be running it is awesome).

Last edited:
911CA555-2054-48E2-8F09-ACFAF87E508C.jpeg

A9B56C7F-73A9-4875-81E4-BA5E544E3347.jpeg

for any of the nah sayers out there. I just finished my best run outta 4. This is on the stock 19’s with almost all the tire shine off from delivery yesterday. On the street these tires feel like they are constantly seeking traction. At the track today they struggled a bit mid track but know this place is slower a bit than normal tracks im impressed. This track has a slight up hill too it. Paradise drag way Calhoun, GA. Glad to represent the 19’s with aero caps.