Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put an order in for a Plaid back in September. They changed it to a plaid+. Since the date has moved out, I am looking at options. Has anyone tried swapping their plaid+ order for a plaid? If so, what was the impact?
My other option I am considering is purchasing a M3 LR for now and selling when the plaid plus delivers.
Advice is welcome.
Yes unfortunately. I order + on day one. Changed my mind a couple weeks later. Originally I was told they could just change my reservation without losing my place in line. Yay! Then, a couple days later, they reached out and said that was a mistake and that they couldn’t just change my reservation to a Plaid. They canceled my reservation, refunded my money and told me to reserve a new car with deposit, which you can imagine sent me to the back of the line. This was like 3-4 weeks ago. My date is in the 4-11 week camp.

Pretty frustrating that you can’t just change the model. If you have any different luck, please report back. Maybe things are different now that they moved the date so far out.

This one has contrast piping and stitching, so it's a Plaid. I'll bet that LR has a round wheel and Plaid has a yoke. All the LRs we've seen have had a round wheel, while all the Plaids we've seen have had the yoke. Also, this is the first neat, sale-able yoke I've seen so far.

Plaids also have carbon fiber so by that logic it cannot be a plaid. We do not know fully what we have seen to make a definitive statement. And thanks to Tesla being silent, we will not know until delivery what the car looks like.

My LR states yoke wheel in the build. At this point, I do not really care which it comes with but am looking forward to trying the yoke if that is it.

This one has contrast piping and stitching, so it's a Plaid. I'll bet that LR has a round wheel and Plaid has a yoke. All the LRs we've seen have had a round wheel, while all the Plaids we've seen have had the yoke. Also, this is the first neat, sale-able yoke I've seen so far.
Do we have confirmation that the Plaid and LR have different seats? I’ve just assumed the images in the configurator were wrong. This car has walnut interior and not carbon as well which would suggest it’s a LR or just a parts mule.

I put an order in for a Plaid back in September. They changed it to a plaid+. Since the date has moved out, I am looking at options. Has anyone tried swapping their plaid+ order for a plaid? If so, what was the impact?
My other option I am considering is purchasing a M3 LR for now and selling when the plaid plus delivers.
Advice is welcome.
Yes unfortunately. I order + on day one. Changed my mind a couple weeks later. Originally I was told they could just change my reservation without losing my place in line. Yay! Then, a couple days later, they reached out and said that was a mistake and that they couldn’t just change my reservation to a Plaid. They canceled my reservation, refunded my money and told me to reserve a new car with deposit, which you can imagine sent me to the back of the line. This was like 3-4 weeks ago. My date is in the 4-11 week camp.

Pretty frustrating that you can’t just change the model. If you have any different luck, please report back. Maybe things are different now that they moved the date so far out.
I have a feeling it’s the same today even after the plaid plus delay. You should be able to simply change the reservation considering Tesla would probably rather sell you a plaid now vs. a plaid plus in mid-2022. I have a feeling being first in line or last in line won’t make a huge difference. Once full production starts, the line should move quickly unless there are tens of thousands of people buying $120k plaids before even seeing one which I doubt. Just my speculation..

Reactions: aerodyne
Here is a pic of the old/new. The refresh looks wider but that could be due to angle, lighting, etc. Tried to scale the photo with know carryover parts (i.e. tesla badge). The tires appear to be a little wider and the rear fender does as well. Anyone else getting that vibe?

1615989297182.png

BTW, I do not think the chrome badge looks bad with black trim in this photo.

Here is a pic of the old/new. The refresh looks wider but that could be due to angle, lighting, etc. Tried to scale the photo with know carryover parts (i.e. tesla badge). The tires appear to be a little wider and the rear fender does as well. Anyone else getting that vibe?

View attachment 645232

It does indeed appear wider. The badge is ok in chrome with this blue color. In white, it needs to be black. :)

View attachment 645232

Good job on the pics.. I’m also getting that vibe especially since Elon confirmed in January that the refresh is wider. It’s also been semi-confirmed the wheels are wider. I like what I see so far... good looking rear 😎

That was going to be the case until on Friday she decided to destroy a rim by driving against a curb. For some strange reason women forget to mention things like that lol

and to not seem like I’m making stuff up or trolling I’m going to attach my Tesla account summary page.

Yes I know all white cars but after owning a black Range Rover and black BMW 750 I couldn’t deal with the constant upkeep that black required especially since I’m all about having a perfect looking car. 3 trips a year to my detailer per year was adding up
I believed you LOL.
And I sympathize with your lady, as I've probably destroyed a lot more rims than she has. I must've done about 4-5 rim repairs on my Boxster's wheels. I trashed 3 out of 4 of my leased WRX's rims too but I just gave them back trashed, and it must've all been within my margin for damage allowance fortunately.

For a week or two before I take delivery of the MS, I will repeat to myself, "Think about where the curb is. Think about where the curb is. Think about where the curb is..."

View attachment 645232

To be honest, I can't tell if the image on the right is a bit distorted width-wise. Because, it looks a lot different seeing it side-by-side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Do we have confirmation that the Plaid and LR have different seats? I’ve just assumed the images in the configurator were wrong. This car has walnut interior and not carbon as well which would suggest it’s a LR or just a parts mule.
I was told a month or so ago that the only difference to interior between LR and Plaid(+) is the addition of the carbon fiber trim in the Plaids. But of course, we know that they don't necessarily know the latest twists. At the time, my rep seemed confident my LR would be equipped with a yoke.

This one has contrast piping and stitching, so it's a Plaid. I'll bet that LR has a round wheel and Plaid has a yoke. All the LRs we've seen have had a round wheel, while all the Plaids we've seen have had the yoke. Also, this is the first neat, sale-able yoke I've seen so

View attachment 645232

Well done with the pix. Honestly, I wouldn’t have noticed the width difference if you hadn’t said it. I do see the chrome delete and that’s how I know the blue is refresh.

The S was already super wide. Isn’t odd they wanted to make it wider? It’s wider than all other “similar” cars.

Their website states:
With the lowest drag coefficient on Earth and unmatched efficiency, Model S is built for speed and range. Together with a wider body and chassis, these elements help you go down the straight or around corners quicker than ever.

This could just mean it is wider than most sedans on the road or they actually made it wider than the last generation.

Reactions: Tigers