Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dash Trim impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like that the lacewood is bumpy and has no coating. Though, different samples of the lacewood can look quite different, and I like some better than others. It's funny, I either want the lacewood, or the glossy obeche.

There needs to be a non-shiny non-wood finish available too (I hate wood in cars). Matte Piano black would probably work, or maybe brushed aluminium.

the CF is matte FWIW

I drove that car...Lacewood interior confirmed. Was a good combination. Couldn't remember in my drive summary of it was tan or silver, but I fully remember now.

Oooo, hopefully someone has pics.

Awesome, didn't know any of the cars had the full gray interior. What was the finish in there? Looks like it could be lacewood or obeche

I shot the front inside as well, and though a bit difficult to make out due to lighting, lacewood's identifying pattern is still apparent. So this car's interior was outfitted with lacewood. As a side note, I have one of the first Olympia auto-focus digital cameras and it is very slow to snap the picture when there are light and dark together; which obviously black and grey are. It's also exceeding slow when your holding up Tesla's car cue and I am grateful to Tesla for allowing me to shoot these.

View attachment 7345

Tommy, thank you for sharing the photographs. I love the grey interior with the lacewood!

Did you find the different color of the headliner noticeable? In the photograph you provided it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might.

You may have helped me decide on my interior options. Thanks.

I shot the front inside as well, and though a bit difficult to make out due to lighting, lacewood's identifying pattern is still apparent. So this car's interior was outfitted with lacewood. As a side note, I have one of the first Olympia auto-focus digital cameras and it is very slow to snap the picture when there are light and dark together; which obviously black and grey are. It's also exceeding slow when your holding up Tesla's car cue and I am grateful to Tesla for allowing me to shoot these.

View attachment 7345

Thanks Tommy. That's so weird, that looks like the older lacewood patterns that I actually liked. Here's a comparison of old to new from the various pics I've collected:

OLD:
IMG3937-X3.jpg

NEW:
lacewood-dash-close.jpg

So now I'm confused as to which version is the most recent and will be in the final cars...

Tommy, thank you for sharing the photographs. I love the grey interior with the lacewood!

Did you find the different color of the headliner noticeable? In the photograph you provided it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might.

You may have helped me decide on my interior options. Thanks.

I am in a bit of the same quandary myself. To my eye, the grey leather and black dashboard really complement each other so well. However, the headliner's different color was not the issue, it's the pillar posts parchment color being adjacent to the black and grey. That's three colors adjacent to one another and that looks a bit busy to my eyes but not off putting. I prefer the grey/black combo, but as an integrated look would also consider the tan leather as that complements both the headliner, pillar and black dash. An all black dash and leather would obviously work as well, thou I personally like the lighter color for my seats.

I am going to give it a second look, and really once you're behind the wheel a lot of these details get lost in the enjoyment of the car itself.

Last edited:
Ooooh... Obeche and Gray are looking good! Sucks that Gray wouldn't work with Green.

I was worried about the grey clashing with the green as well and pulled up other Manufacturer's sites (Audi, BMW, MBZ, Porche & Jag) to see if grey is even an option with a green exterior; most don't even offer a green exterior. Jaguar does offer a green exterior and also offers a grey interior as an option with that color. Put my doubts a bit to rest. My taste might be odd as I really like the black/grey combo with the green exterior; at least Jag doesn't mind making their cars in this flavor.

I was worried about the grey clashing with the green as well and pulled up other Manufacturer's sites (Audi, BMW, MBZ, Porche & Jag) to see if grey is even an option with a green exterior; most don't even offer a green exterior. Jaguar does offer a green exterior and also offers a grey interior as an option with that color. Put my doubts a bit to rest. My taste might be odd as I really like the black/grey combo with the green exterior; at least Jag doesn't mind making their cars in this flavor.

That'd definitely be quite courageous, Tommy! :)

Was thinking of the Gray interior as I wanted to get away from all the Black crush inside (particularly if I went with Piano Black - Obeche may make things a bit better on that front). I'd have surely gone with the Gray leather with the Blue exterior had Blue been a bit brighter but, sadly, it's not...

I'll stick with the relatively conservative Green exterior - Black leather - Obeche Matte trim.

I was all over the lacewood a few months ago after seeing some updated photos. But now seeing it last weekend in the flesh, I don't know what to do now. I agree that the pictures of the grey interior, with the lacewood - that's a fine match no doubt about it. We are either going to go brown or grey paint. If we get the grey, then the lacewood with grey interior is choice. But we are leaning towards brown exterior, so tan leather will be what we go with. I don't think the lacewood would work there. And I'm not too impressed with the Obeche wood - too much vertical grain - reminds me of a 70's veneer. Piano black doesn't impress me either, no texture. Hmm..

+1 for brushed aluminum. Some others on the forum have mentioned that as an idea. That would be nice up against the leather. But we may have to go with the obeche if we pick the brown exterior.

I was an early champion for brushed aluminum, but to be honest, I think it would be too much here. BA should be an accent, but there's too much dash to cover here and it would end up being a strong focal point IMO.