Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model s beta prototype tour: Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The various demo cars are outfitted with different options. There's still plenty to see - it's a gorgeous car.

My disappointment stems from my expectation that since this is a unique / rare opportunity for many canadians to see the beta car, they might have thought to bring one with more options rather than fewer.

The pano roof is showed off at all the US stores for a reason...

I'll still go, of course.

I'm glad there's no pano: otherwise I might be tempted to get it.

My wife see's little value in sunroofs but was sold as soon as she sat in a beta with it. It is unfortunate the beta being toured does not have the pano roof as it is a bit of extra eye candy for Tesla to show off imo. Looking forward to sending all of our friends and family down to see it at Chinook since I have been going on for years about this car, maybe they will finally get it too. : cool:

pano roof = cool but does pano roof = cold ? There are long threads about how much sunlight the pano roof let's through, but I am afraid that in -30C weather, it will become an extra source of consumption of energy, as I assume you will have to use more heating than with the standard roof .

Anyone seen specs as to the insulation factor of the pano roof ? I would hate for it to cost an extra 5% range during winter ...

Last edited:
Went to see the S at the Carrefour Laval this morning. For those who are planning to go, it is located in the small plaza in front of the Swarowski boutique (and in front of a giant pink wall where a Victoria's Secret store is being prepped).

I had never seen an S in the flesh, and overall was very pleased with what I saw. I knew that this beta had some fit & finish issues, but nothing that cannot be corrected.

The francophone rep (Martin, works for Tesla in TO) told me that the first signatures are planned for september delivery in Canada. Pricing is still vague (60-90K as had previously been reported), as was information about a winter tire package.

I did learn that they are planning test drives "this summer" in major canadian cities (TO for sure, MTL and Vancouver very likely), and that canadian reservation holders would get to drive the car before anyone else (including journalists). Whether that is true or not, the prospect of local imminent test drives is really cool!

The air suspension is still locked in the highest setting. Martin told me that these setting could be locked while driving (i.e. you could drive at moderate speeds at the highest setting, if you need to).

I met another 5 reservation holders, who were not TMC members with numbers ranging from 70 (!) to 88xx (got an american reservation by error yesterday :biggrin:). I pointed them to the forums and hope they will visit.

Also got a Tesla key chain for being a reservation holder!

My wife came to drag me away telling me I had been there for two hours... had a good time!

Heading to Carrefour Laval for close encounter ...

Some highlights of what I heard tonight, from Hans (TO rep) and Eli (tech - ranger) :

- Deliveries should start in September (mentioned before I think)
- Service center in september " between Montreal and Laval ", so I would guess north of the Metropolitain, I suggested Ville St-Laurent, my town of residence, and Eli smiled, so I hope I guessed right
- TPMS - the on screen options should be there to change your tires at home and switch the monitoring to the new set of TPMS
- audio system is the high end package but was not that impressive, just ok, missing bass for my taste. Eli mentioned that is does not have the all the production components, so I remain hopeful
- no glove box, no places to store anything, hopefully this is improved.

All around nice looking car...

- Deliveries should start in September (mentioned before I think)

I'm really hoping for that... and not October. It would be really sad if the snow flies before we can put our cars through their paces.

- Service center in september " between Montreal and Laval ", so I would guess north of the Metropolitain, I suggested Ville St-Laurent, my town of residence, and Eli smiled, so I hope I guessed right

September, huh? Too late for my Roadster's annual service! At least next year the Ranger fees will be cut in half - or I could drive it to Laval on one charge.

- TPMS - the on screen options should be there to change your tires at home and switch the monitoring to the new set of TPMS

That's great! I always switch my own wheels. Might be worthwhile posting that on the Model S section, so non-Canadians will see it.

- audio system is the high end package but was not that impressive, just ok, missing bass for my taste. Eli mentioned that is does not have the all the production components, so I remain hopeful

Probably missing the subwoofer.

- no glove box, no places to store anything, hopefully this is improved.

That is incorrect. There's a little button on the RHS of the touchscreen. It flips open a HUGE glove compartment, on the underside of the dash in front of the passenger seat. It is hard to notice until it opens. It was disabled on this beta, though.

There is also a large storage area on the floor between the two front seats. Rumour has it that there will eventually be some sort of "space organizers" available for it.

Doug : you are right, the button must be disabled somehow, as I did push this but nothing happened. Good to hear it is a good size glove box.
On the floor space : I did put my camera bag there, so that is useful, even though it looks bare ...

More answers I forgot to relay:

- Eli mentioned that annual maintenance would be less than the Roadster. He did point out that working on the Roadster was a lot more work that Model S will be because of the packaging
- I inquired about 12V outlet(s) remaining operational in the trunk(s), while the car is parked. Yes! Handy for the occasional camping trip...

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing they weren't sure about was whether the Quebec rebate could be applied for the Tesla HPC. First answer was a definitive yes but then i pointed out the requirement for the EVSE to support j1772 and then they were supposed to get back to me on it (they confused the idea that the car could support J1772 when it is req the charge station). They said that, if needed, they might lobby to get it approved to be part of the rebate program.

One other question i keep forgetting to ask (and hope someone else will remember) is whether or not they will accept trade ins. We have heard rumors about this for the US cars but have not had any confirmation if they plan on supporting this for the Canadian market (would make a big difference for the sales tax we will be hit with).

One other question i keep forgetting to ask (and hope someone else will remember) is whether or not they will accept trade ins. We have heard rumors about this for the US cars but have not had any confirmation if they plan on supporting this for the Canadian market (would make a big difference for the sales tax we will be hit with).

One of the reps that was there wednesday (didn't get her name...) told me that they are "looking into trade-ins".

I had also asked her about leasing, she had no info on that.