Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and X air suspension reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been considering a Model X recently, one thing I'm worried about is the air suspension. Used to own a Mercedes GLS, and after 62,000 miles and 4.5 years, 3 of the 4 air shocks blew (literally). How is the reliability of the Model X (and S) air suspension, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I've got a 2015 Model S with air suspension and put 52,000 miles on it. The air components have been superbly reliable. However, the control arms, no so much. The bushings are a weak point and creak like an old rocking chair over every undulation in the road. Even Tesla Ryan from youtube has a 2021 Model S Plaid with the same awful creak and Tesla told him there's nothing that can be done about it.

You're taking my words out of context...
You brought up AC system (totally different from air system), which was my response about.
AC system has both Low and High pressure safety switches that will prevent damage to "entire" system if you have a leak.
Air suspension is the same as the air conditioning system because of the reliability of the system will last for years without any leaks that’s the facts ..no leaks no repairs

Air suspension is the same as the air conditioning system because of the reliability of the system will last for years without any leaks that’s the facts ..no leaks no repairs
Most systems are reliable when they're functioning as designed.
But we were talking about 'leaks' scenario, so I Disagree.
AC system will stop working when freon pressure is low (due to leak or whatever) and protect itself.
Air system will continue to run with leak n put extra strain on compressor
So NOT the same.

Reactions: henderrj
Hi all,

I am planning to buy a 2016 Model X with around 110,000 miles.

I have a couple questions:

1. How can I detect if the air suspension is leaking or not?

2. When the air suspension is really getting to a point with major problem, can we replace the entire air suspension system with something that non-air suspension (i.e. a regular suspension system that is not height adjustable)?

Thanks

Hi all,

I am planning to buy a 2016 Model X with around 110,000 miles.

I have a couple questions:

1. How can I detect if the air suspension is leaking or not?

2. When the air suspension is really getting to a point with major problem, can we replace the entire air suspension system with something that non-air suspension (i.e. a regular suspension system that is not height adjustable)?

Thanks
1. Let it sit locked, if it leaks, some or all corners will sag or spray soapy water on air springs (i guess only if u taking it for shop inspection)... Look for error codes for air suspension in history in service mode
2. No. X never had non-air suspension but fixing it is not that expensive if u ok to DIY it with used parts from eBay. Most expensive part is the compressor.

I've just completed reading this very informative thread :

Very informative. Many individual items can cause the issue. In my case, a valve in the "valve block" might be the issue as mentioned in item 4 of this document from Tesla (4. Replace the air suspension compressor according toService Manual Procedure: Note: It may be recommended to also replace thevalve block.) :

I'm presently looking at the issue and will try to let you know what I find out.
Update: I changed the compressor and all is back to normal.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
Been considering a Model X recently, one thing I'm worried about is the air suspension. Used to own a Mercedes GLS, and after 62,000 miles and 4.5 years, 3 of the 4 air shocks blew (literally). How is the reliability of the Model X (and S) air suspension, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Cars 97 be aware that the suspension on the Model X is based on the Mercedes GL since Mercedes was an initial investor in Tesla. Oh how I wish they would have used the suspension from the Toyota/Lexus relationship they had. I own 2 model X, a 2017 and 2018 and they both have the inner tire wear issues due to excessive alignment camber that the Mercedes GL variants have. If you have already purchased an MX be sure to go into the suspension settings and set it to "Never" automatically lower because that will increase the inner tire wear. And set it to remember to auto raise to High on all streets with 35 mph or lower speed limits to reduce the inner wear at low speeds. Also, on my 2017 a bolt snapped in half on the front suspension while I was pulling out of a parking space making a slight left turn. Another thing is the upper control arm ball joints have such a small quantity of lubricant from the factory that they will wear out every 50k to 80k miles unless you use a syringe and hypodermic needle to inject more grease through the rubber boot then seal the tiny hole with self-fusing silicone tape which will make them last a hundred thousand miles or more.

Cars 97 be aware that the suspension on the Model X is based on the Mercedes GL since Mercedes was an initial investor in Tesla. Oh how I wish they would have used the suspension from the Toyota/Lexus relationship they had. I own 2 model X, a 2017 and 2018 and they both have the inner tire wear issues due to excessive alignment camber that the Mercedes GL variants have. If you have already purchased an MX be sure to go into the suspension settings and set it to "Never" automatically lower because that will increase the inner tire wear. And set it to remember to auto raise to High on all streets with 35 mph or lower speed limits to reduce the inner wear at low speeds. Also, on my 2017 a bolt snapped in half on the front suspension while I was pulling out of a parking space making a slight left turn. Another thing is the upper control arm ball joints have such a small quantity of lubricant from the factory that they will wear out every 50k to 80k miles unless you use a syringe and hypodermic needle to inject more grease through the rubber boot then seal the tiny hole with self-fusing silicone tape which will make them last a hundred thousand miles or more.

But, don't you get the front half shaft problem when you do that? I suppose we all have to buy the Ntuitive links that they sell. Haven't done it myself yet, but I've only ought my x for about 10,000 mi.

Reactions: Cars 97
But, don't you get the front half shaft problem when you do that? I suppose we all have to buy the Ntuitive links that they sell. Haven't done it myself yet, but I've only ought my x for about 10,000 mi.
I assure you that the intuitive kit is a gem. I have about 40000 km on them with the suspension setting at low above 80 km/h(50 mph) and the rears are perfectly even accross the thread and driving pleasure is amazing.

Never knew about this, thanks a lot🙏

I had a 2018, and now have a 2022. I ALWAYS drive in Low. My tires wore completely evenly. I know this is a common problem for some, but it is far from affecting everyone. I was able to get nearly 40,000 miles from my original Continentals. (I didn't quite make it to 40,000, because I broke one of them hitting a rock, causing a big gash in the sidewall. Terminal.)

That front half shaft problem is fixed i have gone 15,000 miles towing normal height level and the shafts are just fine and that’s towing up a hill at 75

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Another thing is the upper control arm ball joints have such a small quantity of lubricant from the factory that they will wear out every 50k to 80k miles unless you use a syringe and hypodermic needle to inject more grease through the rubber boot then seal the tiny hole with self-fusing silicone tape which will make them last a hundred thousand miles or more.
Want to highlight this as my S had similar issues (the creak coming from the upper control arm).

Excellent common sense DIY solution.

Mine has failed twice, both times related to snow and cold. $1000 fix.

Yes, the front half shafts only shake if you accelerate hard. When I want to accelerate hard I set it to low in advance then move it back to medium when I'm done. A button to do this quickly that can be placed at the bottom of the MCU with your top 5 apps would be nice. The picture attached is the bolt on the front subframe that snapped in two (not sheared as Tesla claimed). It appears to be planned obsolescence that would occur after a specific amount of stress over time at the location where the bolt is scored around its circumference, however, I'm not sure of that.

Attachments

• Broken Bolt 1.jpg
    Broken Bolt 1.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Broken Bolt.jpg
    Broken Bolt.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 9
Yes, the front half shafts only shake if you accelerate hard. When I want to accelerate hard I set it to low in advance then move it back to medium when I'm done. A button to do this quickly that can be placed at the bottom of the MCU with your top 5 apps would be nice. The picture attached is the bolt on the front subframe that snapped in two (not sheared as Tesla claimed). It appears to be planned obsolescence that would occur after a specific amount of stress over time at the location where the bolt is scored around its circumference, however, I'm not sure of that.
I forgot to mention Tesla wanted nearly $1,000 to replace that bolt. I got it fixed for $111.