Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and the Electric GT Championship

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cascadian

Supporting Member
Nov 27, 2014
United States
Exciting news about Tesla Model S and the racing world. :) I'm a big fan of Leilani Munter -- the "vegan hippie chick with a racecar" -- and found this on her site:

Electric GT Series Announcement

Excerpt:

"October 4, 2016 (Barcelona, Spain) Following the announcement of Stefan Wilson and Vicky Priria as the inaugural members of the Electric GT Championship Drivers Club, the world’s first 100 per cent zero emissions GT championship, today confirms Leilani Münter and Dani Clos will join them on the grid in 2017. Combining a sustainable ethos with entertaining racing in the fastest road-going electric vehicle on the market today, the Tesla Model S, the Electric GT Championship is an attractive proposition for professional drivers looking to make the next step in their careers and contribute their expertise to spreading awareness of our generation’s environmental responsibility."

From an online EGT press release:

Home

"...The EGT Championship will consist of 20 international drivers, both male and female, racing for ten professional teams in identical Tesla Model S machines equipped with the latest OMP safety equipment and running on bespoke Pirelli tyres. The championship will race at seven permanent European circuits including the Nurburgring (Germany), Circuit Paul Ricard (France) and Circuit de CatalunyaBarcelona (Spain), as well as competing at three non-championship race events in the Americas. About Electric GT Championship – New zero emissions motorsport category promoting sustainable mobility The championship was announced on 9 March 2016, with the Tesla Model S chosen for the first season, which will get underway in 2017. There will be 10 teams and 20 drivers, who will compete across seven races during season one. Weekends will consist of a 20-minute practice session, 30-minute qualifying, a day race (60km) and a dusk race (60km). Each round will be a weekend-long festival of technology and innovation for sustainability, in and around the circuits. Fans will be able to stream races via Periscope, Twitch and YouTube, as well as interact directly with the teams using social media platforms."

Last edited:
Exciting news about Tesla Model S and the racing world. :) I'm a big fan of Leilani Munter -- the "vegan hippie chick with a racecar" -- and found this on her site:

Electric GT Series Announcement

Excerpt:

"October 4, 2016 (Barcelona, Spain) Following the announcement of Stefan Wilson and Vicky Priria as the inaugural members of the Electric GT Championship Drivers Club, the world’s first 100 per cent zero emissions GT championship, today confirms Leilani Münter and Dani Clos will join them on the grid in 2017. Combining a sustainable ethos with entertaining racing in the fastest road-going electric vehicle on the market today, the Tesla Model S, the Electric GT Championship is an attractive proposition for professional drivers looking to make the next step in their careers and contribute their expertise to spreading awareness of our generation’s environmental responsibility."

From an online EGT press release:

Home

"...The EGT Championship will consist of 20 international drivers, both male and female, racing for ten professional teams in identical Tesla Model S machines equipped with the latest OMP safety equipment and running on bespoke Pirelli tyres. The championship will race at seven permanent European circuits including the Nurburgring (Germany), Circuit Paul Ricard (France) and Circuit de CatalunyaBarcelona (Spain), as well as competing at three non-championship race events in the Americas. About Electric GT Championship – New zero emissions motorsport category promoting sustainable mobility The championship was announced on 9 March 2016, with the Tesla Model S chosen for the first season, which will get underway in 2017. There will be 10 teams and 20 drivers, who will compete across seven races during season one. Weekends will consist of a 20-minute practice session, 30-minute qualifying, a day race (60km) and a dusk race (60km). Each round will be a weekend-long festival of technology and innovation for sustainability, in and around the circuits. Fans will be able to stream races via Periscope, Twitch and YouTube, as well as interact directly with the teams using social media platforms."

I'm looking forward to some good racing.

That is what will be interesting. If this racing Model S P100D has the easter egg to unlock the new Ludicrous+ mode, plus the weight saving and racing trim what is the possible 0-60 times that are proving so essential to EV cars, could it break 2.0 seconds?

May put the FF91 in its place for example as that 2.39s 0-60 was through a stripped down testing mule version of their car.

A newly released version of Nissan GTR, petrol, can do 0-60in 2.5s.

Formula Student (BEV) cars are way quicker already, they are just not based on a production car.

The cooling capability will (should) impact how hard the cars can push once heating up. In onboard Model S footage we've seen output dropping to under 200kW after a 500kW peak. Int he heavy road car, that pretty much calms acceleration right down. The combination of weightdrop (a nice chunk) and better cooling should improve that a ot. What will continuous power in regular weather be? Maybe 250-300kW. Would be a quick car.
For lap times, the weight and tires will make the most difference vs the road car.

In a race, starting at full Ludicrous+ may in fact not be the fastest way to the finish line, as only small amounts of time can be won at the cost of potentially overheating too much too quick, costing more time in dotted lines than was won.

Yes I recall seeing a student BEV run 0-60 in well under 2 seconds, and a good point regarding the L+ effecting the battery longer performance too quickly.

So you wonder if a L+ button is provided to give you the odd boost during a race, as F1 cars have with the ERS system.

Yes I recall seeing a student BEV run 0-60 in well under 2 seconds, and a good point regarding the L+ effecting the battery longer performance too quickly.

So you wonder if a L+ button is provided to give you the odd boost during a race, as F1 cars have with the ERS system.
L+ is mostly a 0-60 and 1/4mi tool, right? In a race over say 10 or 20 GP laps, that's quite unimportant. Especially as everything you take out of a BEV affects its performance until you park it again. Take out energy, put in heat. Have heat, get less power and get less range.

Last edited:
L+ is mostly a 0-60 and 1/4mi tool, right? In a race over say 10 or 20 GP laps, that's quite unimportant. Especially as everything you take out of a BEV affects its performance until you park it again. Take out energy, put in heat. Have heat, get less power and get less range.

Yes I see thanks. Then in principle is there any ERS style of regeneration that can be stored and then used in the same manner as it does in F1, just thinking aloud and not from any engineering knowledge, it seems feasible I guess?

Yes I see thanks. Then in principle is there any ERS style of regeneration that can be stored and then used in the same manner as it does in F1, just thinking aloud and not from any engineering knowledge, it seems feasible I guess?
Regen on all 4 wheels. What more do you want? There may be battery techs that are able to charge quicker, thus regen better, get more range as a result. But very costly.
Over a race, a Tesla could store and use a lot of energy it did not take on the plug. For the P85+ I believe the plan was to not regen, to keep motors a bit cooler.