Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model s 2013 air suspension doesn’t have option to set location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi i just bought a model s p85 with air suspension yesterday.

I love the car but in the page that I adjust the height for air suspension i dont see option to set it by location.

I saw a 2015 model one and that one had it. I was under impression that 2013 should have same software.

Am i missing something?

What MCU version, e.g. was this car upgraded to MCU2?

What software version?

I can only speak to MCU1. You set the location by driving there and then setting the height to High or Very High. It should automatically remember the location anytime/anywhere you do that.

You can tell you're at a saved auto-raise location by looking for the little X icon that shows up next to the height selection list (on the appropriate settings page). Press the X icon to remove the auto-raise entry for that location only.

I don't know of any other way to manage auto-raise locations. Need to drive to them and then set the height or remove the auto-save. I also have a 2013 P85 with the air suspension. Still on MCU1 (post recall and now with LTE upgrade).

Note that if you're driving too fast for the saved height when you enter the saved location boundary, then it won't auto-raise. Even if you then slow down while inside the location boundaries, it still won't auto-raise. It should show a little warning message on the dashboard display when this happens, but the warning could be easy to miss.

619535BA-2735-41B9-8C1B-2580DF8502E5.jpeg

Ok sorry for confusion it does show setting it based on location, it just looks different than other tesla i saw ( i think other tesla software was 2023 version and mine is still on 2022 ( i dont know why mine doesn’t get latest update)

the previous owner told me the they upgraded it from 3g to 4g

In service records history he gave me i see these

Part Quantity
- LTE RETROFIT 1.00 PACKAGE(1067726-00-
A)
Total Parts Amount 200

- MS Tegra RMN MCU 1.00 LTE Prm -D MB NA (64GB)(1004740-10-B)

Attachments

• F882D96F-5598-49DA-9622-5997DBD24EC3.jpeg
    F882D96F-5598-49DA-9622-5997DBD24EC3.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 46
I'm guessing the other Model S you're comparing with had been upgraded to MCU2, which would show up as "Intel Atom" processor instead of "NVIDIA Tegra." I believe Tesla is still willing to do MCU2 upgrades, if you want to pay for it.

MCU2 gets far more frequent software updates these days than MCU1. My Model S with MCU1 is also on 2022.8.10.11 and I believe that's normal for MCU1 right now. Whereas my Model 3 with MCU2 is on 2023.2.12.

It sounds like MCU2 might have a different/updated interface for managing air suspension height. I didn't know that but I'm not surprised.

Warning: Do NOT use the auto-lowering feature! Lowering changes your alignment. If you use that feature and drive on the highway in Low all the time you'll wear out your tires unnecessarily fast. I know it sounds like a neat feature but it's actually a terrible idea. We learned that the expensive way.

(Raising changes alignment too of course, but so few miles get driven when raised that it just doesn't matter.)

Thanks for the interesting take on the lowering…: makes sense.

I’m curious what type of issues having high or very high would cause? Like i would need to do wheel alignment more often?

Ho much is the upgrade of mcu2? And is that something that non tesla shops can do it too? It i find a used one ?

No issues from using High or Very High. Go ahead and use them wherever you need. It'll be too few miles to have any measurable effect on tire wear.

MCU2 upgrade cost is on Tesla's website. It's currently $1750, plus extra for FM radio if you want to retain that.

I’m curious ,When i set position to high when does it know it is time to lower it after? Is it like valid for certain square feet ?

I drive super slow in my street before going to parking garage, if i set high 500 feet before garage, will it be respected ? Or do i have to set multiple set high on the way if i want all the street be high

There is a maximum speed for High, and a lower maximum speed for Very High. As you exceed those speeds the car will lower back down.

For, if raised to Very High and you exceed the Very High speed threshold, it will lower down to High. If you keep accelerating and exceed the High threshold, it'll lower further to Standard height.

What those speed thresholds are has varied over the years. Newer Model S air suspensions got higher maximum speeds for the raised heights. On a 2013 like ours, if I recall correctly, Very High max is around 15-20mph, and High max is around 30-35mph. (I don't remember the exact thresholds, it's been a while since I paid close attention to this.)