Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How robust is Teslas Air Suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to pick up 2015-17 Model S 4Wheel Drive. Standard Suspension is too low for Wife to get in and out of, Noticed Air Suspension can be set to raise using GPS when Parked. This would work but not sure how "Stout" Tesla system is. My BMW 535IX GT has rear Air Suspension that I have personally replaced (easy job and known problem with Factory Bladders).
Also are there better/cheaper Aftermarket replacements.
Thanks in advance.

• Funny
Reactions: geminus and cwerdna
control arm bushes and balljoints are likely shot. You’re buying a near 100k mile car, expect (plan for) everything to fail.
I think this greatly depends on roads the car lived thru
I have 96k mi with me owning last 19k, no suspension noises or shot bushings
Previously California car
Obviously idk if anything was replaced but from looks of it, all seems original...

Looking to pick up 2015-17 Model S 4Wheel Drive. Standard Suspension is too low for Wife to get in and out of,
I think we all know what you meant but see this link, Tesla is not "4 wheel drive" like a jeep but "all wheel drive"

Concur on the air suspension. At first I was glad to not get it with my used S fearing an immediate repair bill but boy I am sure not liking getting in and out of the car and I'm not getting any younger.

That’s always possible, of course. But mine lasted 11 years and is still going.
That's great to hear. Being an X Master Tech I get it about were on Standard Suspension parts, I'm just worried about the Air Suspension in particular. To me that is a High ticket item if there is no After Market support. I know about inner rear Tire wear due to lack of adjustment (I have a BMW), and would be changing to After Market Arms for more adjustability.
Thanks again for responding everyone.

Looking to pick up 2015-17 Model S 4Wheel Drive. Standard Suspension is too low for Wife to get in and out of, Noticed Air Suspension can be set to raise using GPS when Parked. This would work but not sure how "Stout" Tesla system is. My BMW 535IX GT has rear Air Suspension that I have personally replaced (easy job and known problem with Factory Bladders).
Also are there better/cheaper Aftermarket replacements.
Thanks in advance.
Curious to know: Why do prefer a 100k used model S over let say model 3 highland?

Is the suspension and ride-quality/comfort on highland not comparable to model s? (How much difference is there if you have checked it?)

Curious to know: Why do prefer a 100k used model S over let say model 3 highland?

Is the suspension and ride-quality/comfort on highland not comparable to model s? (How much difference is there if you have checked it?)
No one in their right mind would.

Air suspension @ 100k miles vs a new car.
Model S front control arm known issues. Other 5k lb vehicle air suspension fun.
Slower charging
Older pack and drive unit technology.
Yellowing displays.

Slower charging
Yellowing displays.
This will not be only Car. I have read about slow Charging and worse case will use S to visit family in MD, a 190 mile drive one way. Normally it will be used for daily around Town. Will install Level 2 in Garage.

Slower charging
Yellowing displays.
Depends on the price. If someone had a $12,000 car and you were able to get a good 2-3 years out of it, might work well. If you didn't, not the end of the world.