Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wish List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the impression that eligibility had to do with whether a vehicle qualified as a Zero Emissions Vehicle under the regulations and guidelines of the California Air Resources Board (CARB). But even if it is only the cars that are built to US specifications, meant for sale within US boarders, Tesla Motors is likely to be very close to the mark before the release of Model ≡. My estimate is that through 2016, Tesla will have sold 140,000 eligible units. By mid-2017 Tesla is certain to gone over the mark at 200,000 -- whether the Model ≡ had been released yet or not.

I got the impression that eligibility had to do with whether a vehicle qualified as a Zero Emissions Vehicle under the regulations and guidelines of the California Air Resources Board (CARB). But even if it is only the cars that are built to US specifications, meant for sale within US boarders, Tesla Motors is likely to be very close to the mark before the release of Model ≡. My estimate is that through 2016, Tesla will have sold 140,000 eligible units. By mid-2017 Tesla is certain to gone over the mark at 200,000 -- whether the Model ≡ had been released yet or not.
I'd think IRS relies on EPA, not CARB, designation.

On the numbers here is my estimate. if we assume mid 2017 start to Model 3, Tesla will be close to completing 200k. If it is closer to end of 2017 - most likely the 200k limit would have been reached. Nissan, BTW, has the same problem.

Model S+X : 175k
2013 18k
2014 18k (7k so far)
2015 40k
2016 60k
2017 40k (in 6 months)

Leaf : 195k
2011 9.6
2012 9.8
2013 22.6k
2014 30k (15.7k so far)
2015 40k
2016 50k
2017 30k (in 6 months)

I've decided there is one more thing that I would really really want for a Model 3. Most things I can live without, but one thing in my Volt irritates me to no end (and same thing in other compact cars I've been in, though there hasn't been that many), and I think there should be a way to fix it with a good design. In a smaller car like a Volt (and likely like the Model 3), front to rear space is limited. I would like them to focus on providing additional available space between the front and rear seats. Find a way to make those rear seats go further back into the cargo space, or make a more cab forward design. But for the love of God, find a way to make both me and my kid in the car seat behind me both fit comfortably.

I trust Tesla to design and make a beautiful, fast, high-technology car in the Model 3.

What I'd have on my wish list is, of course, a Performance model; and sedan, coupe, eventually even convertible variants. I always loved BMW 3-series convertibles... if Tesla can give me an M3-convertible killer, I'll be first in line.