Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Warranty & Charging Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2023_3

Apr 21, 2023
KS
Considering the purchase of a new Model 3 RWD. We live in cental Kansas. Nearest Tesla store/dealer is 200 mi. away. I could see service/warranty issues being a potential problem. Is the Tesla mobile service an option? Is there additional cost for this service?

We sometimes visit S. AZ and S. CA from central KS. To my knowledge, there are no Tesla supercharger stations in SW KS. It also appears the two DC Fast, CCS charging stations in this general direction are 239 mi. apart. Although the Model 3 RWD has an advertised range of 272 mi. I've been told this could easily drop below 233 mi. for a number of reasons. Short of driving south, 70 mi. out of our way to access more CCS charging stations, are we out of luck?

What kind of charging speed can we expect at a typical DC Fast, CCS charging station?

Thanks!

i've had my car for 3 years

only problem i had was windows were closing wrong. they sent people to my house and it was fixed after 2 tries, there was some misunderstandings on their end on what was wrong and the first people did not fix it correctly. not sure if you being in the middle of nowhere have that option though.

also with tires, they will come out and rotate. but they will NOT change or replace tires, you need to go to a tire shop for that.

the bottom line is don't expect to need to ever take your car to a service location until you start creeping towards the 50K mark, i haven't had to but knock on wood i haven't had a major problem like some other peeps on here. i know a guy who has had a tesla for 10 years, and he has needed to take it to the service location twice in that span.

Thanks for the reply. As you mentioned, there are folks who've had very little to no problems . . . however, there's no way of knowing whether we'll be one of those fortunate ones or not :) We'll probably give Tesla a call on Mon to see if the Teslas mobile service is a viable option for us.

My BIL purchased one of the first Model 3 AWD's 4-5 years ago. He hasn't had any serious problems, but did have to take it in for minor warranty issues 1-2 times a year. He lives in S. CA., so very Tesla friendly in terms of service and Supercharger availability. He absolutely loves his M3.

A Model 3 RWD would be perfect for 98% of the driving we do. However, that 2%, where we need to traverse the SW part of KS, where no DC Fast chargers exist for hundreds of miles, may be a deal-killer for us. KS is not a very Tesla/EV friendly state.

Hello Fellow Kansan. Just took delivery of my M3P in March from KC. I live in SEK and understand your concerns about warranty and charging issues. We don't plan to take any long road trips with our Tesla, however If I were, I would consider using PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge to locate both Tesla and non-Tesla charging options. Southwest Kansas will be a tough area to travel if you're not planning on a destination charge.

Hello Fellow Kansan. Just took delivery of my M3P in March from KC. I live in SEK and understand your concerns about warranty and charging issues. We don't plan to take any long road trips with our Tesla, however If I were, I would consider using PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge to locate both Tesla and non-Tesla charging options. Southwest Kansas will be a tough area to travel if you're not planning on a destination charge.
SEKM3P, thank you for the link.

Already knew there were no level 3 charging locations for well over 200 mi. while traveling from McPherson/Hutch KS to the SW corner of KS. However, based on user comments, the two level 3 CCS locations at the SW corner of KS, in Hooker and Guymon OK, only produce 40-45kw. 40-45kw means more than an hour to charge the smaller 55-60kw pack in a M3 RWD . . . approaching 2 hours for other Tesla models. That's a long time for a so-called level 3 charger.

Heading SW from the Tesla Supercharger in Salina KS, it's 360 mi to the nearest Supercharger in Clayton NM.

Disappointing :(