Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 totaled in accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driver with hands on the wheel at all times may have swerved as well. Unexpected things coming from the side can cause surprise reactions.

Or the hands in the wheel could keep the car in the lane and help with the mitigation.

Is it just me or does the front right wheel well and folded under tire look photoshopped? I was a first responder on a rotary wing for years and have seen more wrecked cars than I can remember. Could just be a bad quality picture. If it’s real I’m glad she is ok. And if it is real yes it’s the deer not the Tesla.

Is it just me or does the front right wheel well and folded under tire look photoshopped? I was a first responder on a rotary wing for years and have seen more wrecked cars than I can remember. Could just be a bad quality picture. If it’s real I’m glad she is ok. And if it is real yes it’s the deer not the Tesla.
It took down at least 15 of the cable fence supports so that explains why its the whole front side is folded.

Autopilot is a driver assist package and requires the driver to monitor and take responsibility for what it does. Just as a pilot must monitor and take responsibility for the autopilot in an airplane. If she wasn't using the autopilot feature the results may have been better or worse. Autopilot may have been a contributing factor but under no circumstance should it be blamed as the sole cause. "Improper use of autopilot" is about as you can reasonably go in terms of blaming the feature. Which translates to driver error. Overall it looks like this event had a good result in that nobody was injured after a hectic event at 75mph.

So... are you suggesting that we should be saying that AP contributed to an accident instead of causing one? What's the difference.

google is a good remedy for deficient vocabulary Cause vs. Contributing Factor - Reliabilityweb

Nope. Over 8000 miles on my MR, probably 60-70% on AP. Feel free to check my posts.

The way I see it, AP made a steering input that resulted in a wreck. Some people are just trying to spin what happened.

AP (allegedly) made a steering input to avoid one probable head-on collision with a deer and instead resulted in side glancing collision with side road barriers. You are just trying to spin what happened.

Glad she is OK.

Humans have a longer response time and this effects the outcome of a response to a deer or brake lights. AP has an advantage there but it's also driving people into stationary fire trucks and lane dividers. Once AP freaks out it must be really difficult for the driver to understand the reason, let alone what the car chooses to do to avoid injury.
Would AP switched off or on even matter? The safety AP cuts in whenever it likes anyway, right?
I can see that a non-AP car could easily have gotten into a crash from the driver responding to those inputs available to her, but such a grave result can't be considered an average aftermath of a deer on the road. If it were a Moose, yes.

Curious how people tend to trust the actions of AP before those of a fellow driver. While AP is potentially quicker (great examples out there), it sure is far from infallible.

I think it will be worth getting that footage through an attorney. If only to force Tesla to learn from the incident and make the car safer for next events with similar parameters. I doubt this outcome was the absolute best of a driver without AP standing by to take action. If I'm right, Tesla will need to look into it and do better. Even lethal accidents are repeated 1:1 so we do need to keep Tesla focused on what matters most.

Wow, we have a bunch of people who assume AP did something wrong. Considering the number of questions surrounding the accident, I don't know. Hitting a deer can cause serious damage to a car. Hitting one at 75 mph could be fatal. An attentive driver might have been able to avoid the accident entirely but that includes an attentive driver using AP. Without knowing exactly the surroundings I just don't know. It does appear that the car avoided a direct frontal impact in return for a side one such that the front airbags didn't even deploy. The driver will be OK. Maybe things could have gone better. I strongly suspect things could have been worse. I do hope the video is recovered so we can see what the real situation was.

As for cause, I consider the deer causal. It should be sued. Without the deer there wouldn't have been an accident. Without AP I suspect there would have been an accident although that isn't certain.

• Funny
Reactions: 2012MS85 and coleAK
Wow, we have a bunch of people who assume AP did something wrong. Considering the number of questions surrounding the accident, I don't know. Hitting a deer can cause serious damage to a car. Hitting one at 75 mph could be fatal. An attentive driver might have been able to avoid the accident entirely but that includes an attentive driver using AP. Without knowing exactly the surroundings I just don't know. It does appear that the car avoided a direct frontal impact in return for a side one such that the front airbags didn't even deploy. The driver will be OK. Maybe things could have gone better. I strongly suspect things could have been worse. I do hope the video is recovered so we can see what the real situation was.

As for cause, I consider the deer causal. It should be sued. Without the deer there wouldn't have been an accident. Without AP I suspect there would have been an accident although that isn't certain.
If I could be tested and mind wiped to ensure I would be able to avoid accident without AP... Still I am not sure the outcome would be the same with AP freaking out and taking avoiding action just before I get to the controls. As a human I need a second to find the brake pedal. AP could be serving and braking by itself already. How will AP work with/against? Ideally I'd get some good simulator time to being a team with it in such trying incidents.
Say, AP sees the threat before you. There is a sound, braking and swerving. Will you be hand-off to let the car do its thing? Or try and help or regain control which obviously had been taken away from you.
Who-ever the driver was, I would give here a better chance to act in a way that would not involve blacking out from crash and air bags. AP can prevent some accidents, that's be proven, but it's also proven to drive straight into death. Even after years with similar circumstances. AP is safer than a blindfolded or distracted driver, most of the time, but is it safer than an alert driver, all the time?

Reactions: ErickVuckson
Even after years with similar circumstances. AP is safer than a blindfolded or distracted driver, most of the time, but is it safer than an alert driver, all the time?
I can't think of any circumstance where AP is better than an ALERT driver. However, where I drive, I think that is precious few of the drivers. I certainly have inattentive moments. I have had the car beep at me a couple of times when I wasn't quick enough to brake for a car in front. No wreck. I was able to stop in time and probably would have anyway but it only takes a second of looking away to get you into trouble.

I can't think of any circumstance where AP is better than an ALERT driver. However, where I drive, I think that is precious few of the drivers. I certainly have inattentive moments. I have had the car beep at me a couple of times when I wasn't quick enough to brake for a car in front. No wreck. I was able to stop in time and probably would have anyway but it only takes a second of looking away to get you into trouble.
Did you see the incidents where AP saw a second vehicle ahead (via radar bounce under the first car ahead) braking hard, anticipating a nose-tail collision and brake to get out of the party? Next we see it cars rolling ahead as the drivers looks in the mirrors for upcoming cars to potentially avoid. An attentive driver would have been to late to avoid such carnage, the root cause was simply unsighted.
While awesome, it doesn't make AP better in all cases. Avoiding a dear that didn't mean to cross, getting into pillars, lane dividers or upcoming traffic, leaving the road altogether...

My girlfriend was pretty well still in shock when she told me what I posted here. She told there was a deer in the road and a car near her. I’ve recently spoke to her and she cleared a few things up. She was actually in the right lane with the other car a few car lengths in front of her. The deer apparently was running towards the car from the right side but didn’t cross In front of the vehicle

She was still in shock when she told me what i posted earlier. To clear a few things up here's what she remembers as of right now
1. The other car was actually a few car lengths in front of her
2. She was actually in the right lane.
3. The deer was coming from the right side on a course to T-Bone her (AP may have picked this up as a motorcycle making more sense as to why it swerved to the left)

Sorry just want to be clear...so the car swerved to the left and then back to the right and into the cables?

As far as getting the footage, I agree with a previous poster who mentioned getting the EDR cables and software and getting the footage and other data yourself.