Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tire Pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My stock tires are all set at 50..18inch aeros.. it goes to 44 at night time.. pretty sure i got screwed? On the way back i averaged 310kwh/hr at 44psi all 4 at night

Attachments

• 20180802_145232.jpg
    20180802_145232.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 178
In the Model 3 I've noticed that the tire pressure readings don't show up on the screen until the car gets moving for like 1 minute. Is that your experience as well? That makes it difficult to get and adjust cold tire pressure...

In my old ICE car, the tire pressure shows up after turning on Accessories (without starting/driving the car) in 1 minute, so I was able to use the car's TPMS pressure display to adjust the tire pressure more accurately than I could with my analogue tire pressure gauge.

I believe my tire pressures appear within one minute of driving. Yes it's a little bit of a hassle getting in and out of the car, driving a short distance in between, but you're not going to significantly alter the pressure in that amount of time. Unless you're laying down doughnuts.

Mine were at 40 PSI at delivery, but the door says 45 PSI so I raised it to 45 for the better efficiency.

When a mobile repair tech came out to fix something unrelated, he asked what my tire pressure was, and he was going to lower it to 42 PSI (or maybe he said 40... I can't remember) before I objected. He said most people "like it better" with lower pressure for a softer ride. But I value the reduced rolling resistance more.

but what I don't understand is what the set point temperature should be for "cold" pressure. If I adjust my cold tire pressure once a month as suggested, should I do it in the morning when it is 50º or in the afternoon when it is 90º? That choice will result in a 4 psi difference. I.... in my scenario with a low of 50º and a high of 90º, it would make the most sense to adjust tire pressure to the lowest temperature of the day (50º). Does that seem correct?
Correct.

There is no one "cold" pressure for logical reasons. Let's pretend that you live in Alaska, and that I live in the Sacramento Valley of CA. On a given week in Alaska, the high might be 5 degrees F. Here it might be 105 degrees F. If we both set our tires to a "cold" pressure of some arbitrary temp, one of us might have a low-pressure problem, and one of us might have a high pressure problem. Heck where we live, we may not even ever experience some arbitrary temp to set to! So you set your tires to a cold pressure in a temp that is a reasonably low temp for your climate and current season. Adjust as necessary. The rest will take care of itself.

Bottom line: There is no one "cold" tire pressure.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Mine were at 40 PSI at delivery, but the door says 45 PSI so I raised it to 45 for the better efficiency.

When a mobile repair tech came out to fix something unrelated, he asked what my tire pressure was, and he was going to lower it to 42 PSI (or maybe he said 40... I can't remember) before I objected. He said most people "like it better" with lower pressure for a softer ride. But I value the reduced rolling resistance more.

I keep my car at 45 psi as I prefer the firmer ride; when I brought it to the SC, they lowered it to 42 psi.