Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ With Premium Interior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one of the major qualms that I have with Tesla. I placed my order a week ago for the SR+. I paid extra for the multi-color red, the 19inch wheels and extra for the white interior. If you’re going to pay extra for the interior then Tesla should give you the premium audio. I find it erroneous for you to receive the premium audio that you have to get the LR. I’m sorry, an extra 70+ miles more battery life and a second faster in the 0-60 isn’t worth 9k in my book. I just hope Tesla changes this for future owners.

This is one of the major qualms that I have with Tesla. I placed my order a week ago for the SR+. I paid extra for the multi-color red, the 19inch wheels and extra for the white interior. If you’re going to pay extra for the interior then Tesla should give you the premium audio. I find it erroneous for you to receive the premium audio that you have to get the LR. I’m sorry, an extra 70+ miles more battery life and a second faster in the 0-60 isn’t worth 9k in my book. I just hope Tesla changes this for future owners.

A whole lot of people say that before they buy (and live with) the car. Not much different than people saying 'I dont need a 6 cylinder engine". This forum is littered with people who bought SR+ vehicles, then decided they needed more range. You arent getting "250 miles range" out of that SR+ in most situations but hopefully you know that already.

The car you want is a return of the MR car, which was 260 miles range with premium everything... but they dont make it anymore. Maybe they will bring it back at some point (but it was called the "LeMR" or Limited Edition Mid Range. Never know with tesla though shrug

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle
A whole lot of people say that before they buy (and live with) the car. Not much different than people saying 'I dont need a 6 cylinder engine". This forum is littered with people who bought SR+ vehicles, then decided they needed more range. You arent getting "250 miles range" out of that SR+ in most situations but hopefully you know that already.

The car you want is a return of the MR car, which was 260 miles range with premium everything... but they dont make it anymore. Maybe they will bring it back at some point (but it was called the "LeMR" or Limited Edition Mid Range. Never know with tesla though shrug

Perhaps you’re right but I do own another car(2013 328). And SR+ will be my Friday-Saturday car where I’ll be my a night on the town vehicle(Whenever that’ll be again). As for more range, I don’t plan on taking the Tesla on long excursions, I’ll do what I’ve been doing over the years, which is renting a car. Thus,
, my issue isn’t about the range, it has more to do with Tesla trying to make you for for something extra you do not need for you to have better audio. I already paid extra for the interior, which should have provided the owner with the premium audio. Or, I wouldn’t have had an issue paying an extra 1,500 or so for the premium audio. They should give the buyer those types of options.

Perhaps you’re right but I do own another car(2013 328). And SR+ will be my Friday-Saturday car where I’ll be my a night on the town vehicle(Whenever that’ll be again). As for more range, I don’t plan on taking the Tesla on long excursions, I’ll do what I’ve been doing over the years, which is renting a car. Thus,
, my issue isn’t about the range, it has more to do with Tesla trying to make you for for something extra you do not need for you to have better audio. I already paid extra for the interior, which should have provided the owner with the premium audio. Or, I wouldn’t have had an issue paying an extra 1,500 or so for the premium audio. They should give the buyer those types of options.

If you are a BMW owner then you are likely used to the (fairly extensive) flexibility that German car makers tend to give for custom order vehicles. Just about every other manufacturer (japanese, american, korean etc) makes you buy the "trim up" to get some features. Thats not new, and certainly not specific to tesla.

In fact, its most car manufactures except for those like BMW. On a BMW you can get upgraded audio in a lower trim if you want, but you cant in most toyota / honda / GM / Ford / Chevy / etc etc etc.... so while this may annoy you, its not unusual.

Tesla limits choice because they dont have the capacity to build a bunch of trims. They dont actually build anything "custom" at all, or "custom build" anything. They just build the trims they build (like most manufacturers), and then whenever they get around to building what you ordered is what you get.

If you are a BMW owner then you are likely used to the (fairly extensive) flexibility that German car makers tend to give for custom order vehicles. Just about every other manufacturer (japanese, american, korean etc) makes you buy the "trim up" to get some features. Thats not new, and certainly not specific to tesla.

In fact, its most car manufactures except for those like BMW. On a BMW you can get upgraded audio in a lower trim if you want, but you cant in most toyota / honda / GM / Ford / Chevy / etc etc etc.... so while this may annoy you, its not unusual.

Tesla limits choice because they dont have the capacity to build a bunch of trims. They dont actually build anything "custom" at all, or "custom build" anything. They just build the trims they build (like most manufacturers), and then whenever they get around to building what you ordered is what you get.

Thank you for this bit of information. And you’re exactly right. I’ve had BMW dealerships find certain features I’ve wanted and needed in the past. My first Bmw was in 05 and it was 2006 330i. I wanted that metallic silver that almost looked blueish in the sun, with the grey interior, with the sports package, premium audio, and without the navigation and they were able to do it for me. It felt like they went above and beyond to satisfy their clientele.

As Tesla continues to expand, I hope they’ll give potential buyers more options in the near future. Maybe in a few years when this Model 3 is paid off, and I look at another model, those options will be available for me.

If its important to you (which I understand), You might consider looking for a used Mid Range. Those cars came with Premium audio, and pretty much everything else the Long range cars came with except for the battery. There may be some used ones around. Its the perfect car for what you describe, especially since you plan on using your car as "around town" car.

Thing is, you say that now, but once you find out how much better a model 3 drives than your BMW, it would be my guess you would switch the usage patterns for them (with the BMW becoming your weekend car, or driven even less than that).

This is coming from a long time BMW driver myself... and these forums are littered with people who are coming from BMW specifically, who are in general amazed at the driving prowess of the model 3. Tesla managed to out "3 series" the 3 series. The BMW still in general has more luxury to it, depending on which one you have, and options, but the driving experience is really not much of a contest.

Your new model 3 will be faster (significantly) than your 3 series, more willing to drive slow / cruise, AND be much cheaper to use as a daily driver.

Im not a salesperson, just telling you what I have seen here, as well as experienced myself. My model 3P was going to be "the real M3", before I test drove a model 3 performance. I was going to pick up one of the model 3s with the free individual grey color they had in 2018, had a good deal lined up on one and everything. I decided I didnt want to daily a BMW M3 with "15-17 MPG" that I would likely get a little less than that, when I found I could get a car that was faster where it counted, AND combatted my FOMO by being always updated.

Err.. starting to sound like a commercial here, lol. Just...

TL ; DR ... your plan may be to drive the tesla on the weekends, but if you enjoy driving at all, you will likely swap the cars and end up with your tesla as your daily..... then start thinking about the range when you find out what the range really means.

Anyway, enough blabbing from me.

If its important to you (which I understand), You might consider looking for a used Mid Range. Those cars came with Premium audio, and pretty much everything else the Long range cars came with except for the battery. There may be some used ones around. Its the perfect car for what you describe, especially since you plan on using your car as "around town" car.

Thing is, you say that now, but once you find out how much better a model 3 drives than your BMW, it would be my guess you would switch the usage patterns for them (with the BMW becoming your weekend car, or driven even less than that).

This is coming from a long time BMW driver myself... and these forums are littered with people who are coming from BMW specifically, who are in general amazed at the driving prowess of the model 3. Tesla managed to out "3 series" the 3 series. The BMW still in general has more luxury to it, depending on which one you have, and options, but the driving experience is really not much of a contest.

Your new model 3 will be faster (significantly) than your 3 series, more willing to drive slow / cruise, AND be much cheaper to use as a daily driver.

Im not a salesperson, just telling you what I have seen here, as well as experienced myself. My model 3P was going to be "the real M3", before I test drove a model 3 performance. I was going to pick up one of the model 3s with the free individual grey color they had in 2018, had a good deal lined up on one and everything. I decided I didnt want to daily a BMW M3 with "15-17 MPG" that I would likely get a little less than that, when I found I could get a car that was faster where it counted, AND combatted my FOMO by being always updated.

Err.. starting to sound like a commercial here, lol. Just...

TL ; DR ... your plan may be to drive the tesla on the weekends, but if you enjoy driving at all, you will likely swap the cars and end up with your tesla as your daily..... then start thinking about the range when you find out what the range really means.

Anyway, enough blabbing from me.

Buying a pre-owned car is always something I tend to shy away from unless I know the owner and the type of driver they are. The last time I did something similar was picking up the last 13 months of a 2014 E350 lease from my friend’s wife, who was not a fan of the car. I actually enjoyed it, and that car had some legs on her and for a big body sedan, it drove very well, since it had the AMG package. I thought about buying It outright after the lease was up but I had also gotten the 328 a earlier and didn’t want overburden myself with car payments.

So, I think I’ll stick to SR+, since I’m kinda excited seeing this color combination, which I haven’t seen a great deal of, or at least I don’t think I have.

As for BMW’s, my E90 330i was my favorite car. Something about that naturally aspirated engine just yelling at you. Even though the car had 255hp, it always felt more. Then a year later they released the same car(335) with the turbo, which put it to 300 horses. After 7 years or so, I sold my 330i and got the 328. I always felt this 328i never matched the connection I had with that car(Not to mention that turbo-lag). I think the E models from BMW,s were the last great BMW’s, those E92 M3’s were something special. Many BMW enthusiasts have been disenchanted with what BMW has become. The M just hasn’t been the same for a while.

Last edited:

My friend that was a former Tesla employee and the dealership told me people come customize their Tesla all the time, especially from the day of order.

I was kind of taken back, I wished I would have known but it wasn't like I was able to afford the customization anyways lol.