Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 slips forward when going up to parking lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I enter a parking lot that has an entrance with a slope that goes up, the car jerks/slips forward suddenly as soon as the front left tire enters the slope. Here is a photo of one of the parking lot.

Is it the regen or traction control trying to do something?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230830_180619_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230830_180619_Maps.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: beachmiles
Whenever I enter a parking lot that has an entrance with a slope that goes up, the car jerks/slips forward suddenly

What does "jacks/slips forward" mean ?
You are driving up a driveway, should the car not continue moving FWD?

Do you break before the turn, then accelerate through it?
Break into it?
Break into it, then accelerate.

Whatever it is, don't worry about it, as long as it gets you to your destination.
If it gets you there too slowly - go faster.
Too fast - go slower.

HTH,
a

Upvote 0
What does "jacks/slips forward" mean ?
You are driving up a driveway, should the car not continue moving FWD?

Do you break before the turn, then accelerate through it?
Break into it?
Break into it, then accelerate.

Whatever it is, don't worry about it, as long as it gets you to your destination.
If it gets you there too slowly - go faster.
Too fast - go slower.

HTH,
a
It suddenly jumps forward then the car goes normal. It's for a just a slight moment only.

Reactions: beachmiles
Upvote 0
Whenever I enter a parking lot that has an entrance with a slope that goes up, the car jerks/slips forward suddenly as soon as the front left tire enters the slope. Here is a photo of one of the parking lot.

I would say it's not regen. It may have something to do with AWD and/or traction control. As I understand it, you experience this "slip" when making a right turn into such a driveway. What happens if you enter from the opposite direction (i.e, a left turn into the driveway), where your front tires are hitting the sidewalk / driveway relatively straight on?

I have a RWD and have never noticed any strange behavior when driving into a parking lot with a sloped entrance. The only times something feels wrong is when the right rear tire hits the corner of the sidewalk / entrance as shown in your photo.

Upvote 0
I would say it's not regen. It may have something to do with AWD and/or traction control. As I understand it, you experience this "slip" when making a right turn into such a driveway. What happens if you enter from the opposite direction (i.e, a left turn into the driveway), where your front tires are hitting the sidewalk / driveway relatively straight on?

I have a RWD and have never noticed any strange behavior when driving into a parking lot with a sloped entrance. The only times something feels wrong is when the right rear tire hits the corner of the sidewalk / entrance as shown in your photo.
I was thinking maybe it's my foot hitting the pedal slightly as the result of the car bumping into the driveway

Upvote 0

This doesn't happen if the driveway entrance doesn't have a slope

Upvote 0
The front wheels follow two different paths when turning and the steering linkage geometry attempts to match the angles fairly well, but it's entirely impractical to match them perfectly throughout the entire range so all cars will have some amount of skidding in tight turns. The resulting skidding/jumping varies by car/tire/suspension/terrain and is often most noticeable when something like a driveway reduces the load on one wheel just as discontinuities in the roadway reduce traction.

What you are sensing is likely just a little bit of lateral tire scrubbing that is different than other cars due to the Tesla's geometry/suspension/tires.

1693466669487.png

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
The front wheels follow two different paths when turning and the steering linkage geometry attempts to match the angles fairly well, but it's entirely impractical to match them perfectly throughout the entire range so all cars will have some amount of skidding in tight turns. The resulting skidding/jumping varies by car/tire/suspension/terrain and is often most noticeable when something like a driveway reduces the load on one wheel just as discontinuities in the roadway reduce traction.

What you are sensing is likely just a little bit of lateral tire scrubbing that is different than other cars due to the Tesla's geometry/suspension/tires.

View attachment 969708
Yes, this! For example, my wife's Mercedes SLK 350 (R172) chugs and chatters when backing up with the wheel hard over. When she exits the driveway. It is a lot worse with the UHP Michelin Pilot Super Sports than with the winter tires.

Maybe what the OP is experiencing.

Upvote 0

View attachment 969708
True. But what about a driveway that doesn't have a slope. It doesn't happen with no slope

Upvote 0