Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, guess I never zoomed in on that card on the dash before. Assumed it was an employee badge. But it says "vehicle pass" on it and is VIN00048 (or maybe 46).

I'm still skeptical the card would be a key. But I've been wrong on most things so far. :p
There's no need to guess when the cars are clearly marked with their vin...
6x7BsV.jpg

Although it's dark from this angle, this is one of the blue RCs

Given that the MS75 RWD gets 249 miles of range it amazes me that some people are saying that 270 miles is reasonable for the M3-75. That's not even a 10% increase in efficiency for a significantly smaller car.

EDIT -- edit but removed it and then edited again to write this.

Last edited:
Given that the MS75 RWD gets 249 miles of range it amazes me that some people are saying that 270 miles is reasonable for the M3-75. That's not even a 10% increase in efficiency for a significantly smaller car.

EDIT -- Not to mention that the M3 will be using the new batteries which have 30% higher energy density so weight will be quite a bit lower.

S is aluminum body panels. 3 is not, so you do lose some of the weight savings.

• Informative
Reactions: bak_phy
S is aluminum body panels. 3 is not, so you do lose some of the weight savings.

Aero losses dominate the range equation. Same Cd as an S but 15% less frontal area?

No and No...

First we know for a fact that Model 3 is lighter than Model S. It was mentioned by both Elon and the Tesla engineers. Body panel materials are irrelevant if we already know the total weight is lower. In addition, the Model 3 will feature a mix of aluminum and steel so you can't say the body panels aren't aluminum yet. The frame is likely steel though.

Second the Model 3 has a lower drag coefficient than the Model S. supposedly 0.21 instead of 0.24 like the Model S. Aero dominates as you mentioned but you have both lower frontal area and lower Cd.

Elon previously mentioned a 20% weight reduction vs Model S, this may or may not be the case now, but if it's anywhere close then that's significant.

The chemistry change in the cells alone accounts for a 15% weight savings in the battery before any savings given by the new cell format and the way they can be packaged into batteries.

Last edited:
Aero losses dominate the range equation. Same Cd as an S but 15% less frontal area?

Elon tweeted about a year ago that the Cd is 0.21 vs 0.24 for the S.

If the MS just has the same range of 238 miles as the bolt with the 60kwh battery then it's pretty safe to say that scaling up to a 75kwh would give you about 300 miles (ignoring added weight). Elon has very strongly hinted that the MS will have longer range than the bolt, and given that the bolt has a Cd of 0.32 that is not really hard believe.

Chevy Bolt EV is ‘a disaster for aero’ says lead designer, has a drag coefficient of 0.32

There is no way that MS 75kwh will have a range of less than 300 miles unless they fill the frunk with lead and pull a parachute behind it.

It was speculated on the Tesla forums that the key card is to let the engineers into the diagnostic screens of the monitor. Which would make sense since a password wouldn't be practical.
A password on a touch screen is actually more practical as having a card means you'd need a way to read the card. Now if this is a new practice and they are using cards with cryptographic keys in a future for service centers and engineers then integrating a RFID card reader might make sense where keys can be tracked, granted, and revoked...

It's important as cars become more and more computerized that auto manufacturers take security seriously.