Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those wondering why we think the card is the key (and don't browse reddit), this was 'leaked' three days before those pictures were posted:

Could still be wrong, though. He said matte black, while this was clearly white. But it's also the old Model 3 logo.
After staring at the magnified image long enough, my brain finally clicked. It says

"Please return badge to security"

I agree

fRmxm47.jpg

After staring at the magnified image long enough, my brain finally clicked. It says
"Please return badge to security"

Maybe it isn't even electronic... Maybe they have a board full of RC checkout tags, and you take one with you when you leave the company parking lot, and then give it back to security when you bring the car back so they know you returned it on time. At any given time they could look at the board and see which cars are "out in the field".

i suppose you could leave your employee badge with security and they put it in the empty slot as a placeholder to make sure you return the RC to get your ID badge back. If you lose the RC and checkout tag, your don't get your employee ID back ! Just a thought.

There are a lot of RCs out and about these days. Someone needs to make sure they all return to base between test activities.

Wild speculation is what happens in the echo chamber of tesla forums, as has been pointed out, that's what we do best :)
The problem comes when some folks take those speculations and transfer them into "facts".
The next step after that is the interminable "I'm going to cancel" posts because some speculation doesn't meet an imagined need based on another speculation :confused::confused:
It's probably going to get more intense as the days slowly tick by to production release.

So I kept thinking about @ecarfan 's question on how the Autopilot on the PRND stalk would work. Here's my speculation:

To use:

Push down beyond the D to get TACC and Autosteer to activate (This will set the speed at 5 miles above or at Speed limit).

To only use TACC:

Manually turn the steering wheel to disengage Autosteer. (If the Autosteer cannot be activated due to poor lines, etc it will default to TACC only)

To set speed or car distance for TACC:

Push or pull the stalk to set the speed or distance, rotate to set speed or distance.

Pure guess.

To disengage everything, push the brake pedal.

To use:

Push down beyond the D to get TACC and Autosteer to activate (This will set the speed at 5 miles above or at Speed limit).

To only use TACC:

Manually turn the steering wheel to disengage Autosteer. (If the Autosteer cannot be activated due to poor lines, etc it will default to TACC only)

Why wouldn't it work just like the AP stalk in a S/X? Push down once for TACC, twice for Autosteer, 5 times for rainbow road. :)

Why wouldn't it work just like the AP stalk in a S/X? Push down once for TACC, twice for Autosteer, 5 times for rainbow road. :)

Probably!

My concern is that the driver is pushing multiple times on the PRND stalk (in the same direction as the PRND display). IMHO by making it a single push beyond D, and making the other controls travel in different directions and rotations it makes it a wee bit less "risky".

With the S/X the autopilot controls are on their own stalk, so there is no chance you will "accidentally" change your PRND.

The ideal (IMHO) would be just have the stalk activate AutoPilot, but have the other controls elsewhere.

Last edited:
It would be kind of cool, once the self driving thing is perfected, if it acted like Nissan's proposed system where it's full self driving all the time as long as it has a destination, unless you provide user input (at least while that mode is selected.).

Wow... There's a reason cars with real dashboards have them built recessed into the dash so they are in a shadow. Look at that glare and the fingerprints... I realize that the screen is off, but you can't remove that glare and reflections that easily. Ugh, I'm sorry, but I'm not liking this at all. Unless that screen is OLED, it's going to be tough to read it in bright daylight.

cdNLhsB.jpg

The fingerprints might get annoying, but glare shouldn't be an issue if the glass above the screen is properly tinted. My Volt infotainment screen is never washed out because the sun never hits it directly. So long as the sunlight doesn't hit the screen directly, and proper tinting would prevent that, the screen should be easily visible at all times, especially if auto brightness is well done.

Probably!

My concern is that the driver is pushing multiple times on the PRND stalk (in the same direction as the PRND display). IMHO by making it a single push beyond D, and making the other controls travel in different directions and rotations it makes it a wee bit less "risky".

With the S/X the autopilot controls are on their own stalk, so there is no chance you will "accidentally" change your PRND.

The ideal (IMHO) would be just have the stalk activate AutoPilot, but have the other controls elsewhere.
Shouldn't be a problem. On Model X/S attempts to change the gear in dangerous situations (I'm not sure of the exact threshold, but probably above 5 or 10mph) are simply met with a warning that the car is in motion. The car tries really hard to not let you do something stupid unless you really really mean it.

, just the minimum set of a spring, latch, RF reader is needed
Well charging is happening as often as opening drivers door. It should be as painless as possible. Nissan failed with that as they "forgot" to add a button on the remote and on the dash (a lever next to pop the hood lever, idiots; ok they fixed it now).
Small brushless 12V DC motor is as simple as a latch (electronically actuated). Apply power one way and it turns in one direction closing the cover, apply it reversed and motor reverses direction, closing the cover.

Okay, but we still don't know how TACC will be engaged, and how TACC following interval will be set and adjusted.
Well, it's possible that even Elon doesn't know that for sure. Tesla can change a lot with software.
If the right stalk is monostable with double push-depth sensitivity (like camera shutter button, push lightly to focus, push click to shoot) then it would be possible to use the dual-depth actuation for setting TACC and AP (light push for TACC, full push for AP). Of course doubleclick is also an option. AP/TACC can not be set while stationary. Therefore it is reasonable to use the same mechanical function of the stalk to start driving (push down to select D while parked) and later on pushing down while in D results in TACC/AP functions. Light push upwards (Reverse) could disengage AP and heavy push could disengage TACC+AP. Reverse will not activate at high speed anyway. Light push results in Neutral when not in AP/TACC.

And another "software programmable" option would be push for TACC push and hold for AP.

To only use TACC:
To set speed or car distance for TACC:
Push or pull the stalk to set the speed or distance, rotate to set speed or distance.
There must be a way to disable TACC without the pedal.
I believe there will be no rotate action on the stalks. Though forward-backwards push could do the "distance to keep" function I see no symbols on the right stalk. I believe it is easier to put everything under the scroll wheel menus. Rotate to change speed selection, Push and Rotate to change distance. Many ways to do it.

Reactions: ccutrer