Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance vs Model S 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
So, as some of you may or may not know, my new Model 3P was taken out of action by a mysterious object that made a hole right through the wheel and tire in the first week.

For reasons unbeknownst to me, the Tesla Service Center did not get a replacement tire in for over a week, so... during that time I was given a 2018 Model S 75D to drive.

So here's my review of the 2018 Model S 75D, and how it compares to my 2019 Model 3P.

1.) So, firstly, the Model S is significantly longer than the Model 3. My garage only accommodates a 192" car MAX, so the Model S doesn't fit.

2.) The Model S is a boat by comparison. Everything about it feels... large.

3.) The panoramic sunroof is more enveloping in the S because it runs the roofline without the dome lights in the middle like in the 3. The S just feels more open to me.

4.) Air suspension on the S is fabulous. I know there's new suspension (Raven) on the just-released revision, but boy is the air suspension on the S really nice to have. My Performance Model 3 suspension isn't terrible or anything, but there are times when I wish I could just soften everything up and cruise along crappy roads.

5.) Power. No comparison. The Model 3 Performance destroys the 75D, as you'd expect. Interestingly, the 75D gets off the line pretty darn quickly, but at 40mph upwards it feels like a dog. 60mph when you put your foot down it's almost as if nothing happens (slight exaggeration). Whether a combination of weight or de-tuning of the motors, the 75D is great down low, and puny up top.

6.) Motor whine. The 75D I had featured some pretty ugly motor whine, especially at 49-51mph when not accelerating. It manifests itself as a really high-pitched squealing-like sound, and it drove me a bit nuts. My P3D does not have any such noises.

7.) The interior. I have to say, while the S has some fanciers things going on (heated steering wheel, air suspension etc) - the interior in my opinion is a giant mess by comparison to the 3. The doors look like they were designed by three or four people at the same time in different rooms - with no communication between them until the last second. The interior door handles are in the absolute worst place, where there's little leverage to push the door open, and the button locations and lack of storage cubbies in the doors is insanity to me. Where the door material meats the dash material it doesn't match at all - and in all honesty I think that whole area of the car is a travesty.

As an aside, the piece of the door you're supposed to pull to close the door had a lot of movement to it on my driver's side, which just screamed cheap to me.

8.) The dual screens. I know this will be subjective, but honestly I really, really do not like the S screen orientation or design. It looks like a screen shoehorned into a dash. I felt this way when I test-drove the P85D many years ago when it was new, and I still feel the same now. It feels outdated, a bit of a cluttered mess due to the narrow vertical orientation, and some icons being in the corners are just awkward to hit. In addition, I'm 6'5" and with my seat back enough - it's hard for me to reach the top of the screen as it leans back there. I prefer the 3 here greatly. Also, I really prefer not having the dash right in front of me, so I can be focusing on the road. I know this will be subjective.

9.) Handling. There's no question the P3D is a much better handling car. You feel more from the road (pros and cons to this) AND the steering wheel. There's almost no steering wheel feel from the 75D whereas I can actually feel things through the wheel with the P3D steering wheel. I haven't driven a base 3 so I can't comment there, but with the P3D everything is far more connected than with the 75D.

10.) Rattles: While the 3 is not free of rattles, my Model S wasn't either. Some really annoying ones from the rear hatch that drove me nuts just about the entire time I had the car.

11.) Trunk. I love the automatic trunk on the S. Ironically, for my uses, I'm glad I don't have one. Since my car is so tight in my garage, if I popped it by mistake I'd destroy the trunk, but... when out and about it was super useful.

12.) Exterior door handles: You know, I'm not sure which I prefer here. I think the S handles are pretty cool (aside from looking like toilet-roll holders), but I actually really dig the Model 3 handles, too. I especially love the way you open the Model 3 doors from the inside. It blows away the Model S in this regard.

13.) Usability: I love the phone holder in the front of the 3, and with the Nomad wireless charger it's fabulous. The slide-out cubby in the Model S is... awkward and not fun to open at all.

14.) Arm rests. I could not STAND the arm rests in the Model S. They slide to uncover the cup holder, which means either you have a cup holder or you have an arm rest. Annoyingly, my arm kept sliding the arm rest back under normal use, which I got tired of pretty darn fast.

15.) I really like the Model 3 turn signals. There's no "detent" where the stalk moves into for permanent signaling, so when you have completed your turn the stalk doesn't move again - it just disables the signal electronically. I love that. No "click/smack" sound.

16.) Panel gaps and fit and finish: Both cars have their issues. Both cars have crappy paint (both are solid black, so I was able to compare), and not all pieces of chrome trim etc were 100%. Alignment on doors etc isn't 100% either. Just the usual Tesla nonsense. None of it is deal-breaking, but it's there.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, but that's it for now.

Overall, it's not a contest. The 3 is the better car for most people. The S feels extremely outdated, and really needs an interior refresh.

Attachments

• 57947964153__7804DA59-B776-42F9-9909-C80DD543A7F0.JPG
    57947964153__7804DA59-B776-42F9-9909-C80DD543A7F0.JPG
    455.6 KB · Views: 424
  • 57947966824__3821CDBF-0ECF-44F4-A472-2EA3E5B0F440.JPG
    57947966824__3821CDBF-0ECF-44F4-A472-2EA3E5B0F440.JPG
    378 KB · Views: 266
  • jvR8XLOLRAmCRCNAbOOdBw.jpg
    jvR8XLOLRAmCRCNAbOOdBw.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 269
I agree with basically everything besides how open the interiors felt. I love the inside of the 3 way more and feels more spacious. Not sure what interior your P3D+ has but mine is white inside and it makes a difference.

I had a Model S P85D loaner for two weeks and couldn’t wait for my car back.

Thank you for this information. I need as much information as possible to help me decide between a Model 3 or a used 2016 75D Model S. I may be a little more confused now. I was considering Model S to have more space because I have children. I hear multiple opinions in these previous posts. o_O

Thank you for this information. I need as much information as possible to help me decide between a Model 3 or a used 2016 75D Model S. I may be a little more confused now. I was considering Model S to have more space because I have children. I hear multiple opinions in these previous posts. o_O

The S does not have much more interior space at all than a 3, except I believe in the trunk it does. The hatch is really nice. I would definitely drive both before deciding.

The S does not have much more interior space at all than a 3, except I believe in the trunk it does. The hatch is really nice. I would definitely drive both before deciding.

Thank you for your response. I did I really liked the hatchback in the S, and that it seemed bigger. I actually really liked the S, but I was trying a brand new top of the line S, and I am concerned I was blinded by the niceness of the Ludicrous mode, etc. When in reality I am looking at a 2016 model that doesn't have that. I am most concerned about losing on newer technology opportunities and longer range on a 3, for space in the trunk and a more luxurious S. I am trying to read into more opinions from people with families.

Thank you for your response. I did I really liked the hatchback in the S, and that it seemed bigger. I actually really liked the S, but I was trying a brand new top of the line S, and I am concerned I was blinded by the niceness of the Ludicrous mode, etc. When in reality I am looking at a 2016 model that doesn't have that. I am most concerned about losing on newer technology opportunities and longer range on a 3, for space in the trunk and a more luxurious S. I am trying to read into more opinions from people with families.

Ludicrous is nice, but in reality you'll find you won't use it too often. There's a "process" to engage it, so it's not as if it's always on and ready to use. At the end of the day nobody can really make the decision for you, but I'd suggest going to drive a Performance Model 3 if you like the speeds. That said, if ride comfort is a major concern, the Model S Raven will have this in SPADES by comparison to the 3. The 3 is a firm ride no matter what trim you buy, and even more so shod in full Performance 20s.

Go drive both - bring a bunch of kiddie crap with you, too, so you can test trunk space etc etc. That's the only way you'll ever know for sure.

We have 3 kids and a model 3 and model s.
The kids prefer the S backseat, Its wider and flatter. The 3 has more side bolstering that pushes them together. If its just 2 in the back then its not much different. As far as driving, I like the S better for commuting. Its smoother on bumps and our 75D is faster and more responsive than the 3 long range rwd. After 50 mph ish they feel similiar in power. The 3 has more of a sportscar feel. I like them both a lot but the 3 is more value if you are buying new.

• Love
Reactions: Char
The kids prefer the S backseat, Its wider and flatter. The 3 has more side bolstering that pushes them together. If its just 2 in the back then its not much different. As far as driving, I like the S better for commuting. Its smoother on bumps and our 75D is faster and more responsive than the 3 long range rwd. After 50 mph ish they feel similiar in power. The 3 has more of a sportscar feel. I like them both a lot but the 3 is more value if you are buying new.
Thanks! This is good info. We have two kids but plan on still growing our family. I care to have a nice balance of responsiveness and comfort. This directs my attention to the 75D. However the 75D wouldn't have the technology that the new model 3 has (ie. 12 cameras). I believe my concern is mostly the depreciation. It seems a AP 2.5 and beyond will become better every day which will make AP1 vehicles much less desirable at resale.

Ludicrous is nice, but in reality you'll find you won't use it too often. There's a "process" to engage it, so it's not as if it's always on and ready to use. At the end of the day nobody can really make the decision for you, but I'd suggest going to drive a Performance Model 3 if you like the speeds. That said, if ride comfort is a major concern, the Model S Raven will have this in SPADES by comparison to the 3. The 3 is a firm ride no matter what trim you buy, and even more so shod in full Performance 20s.

Go drive both - bring a bunch of kiddie crap with you, too, so you can test trunk space etc etc. That's the only way you'll ever know for sure.

We own a model S P90D and a Model 3 LR. There is considerably more room in our S than in the Model 3, both for the passengers and certainly in the trunk area. I easily fit a 65 inch TV, boxed, in our S, and there is no way it would fit in our 3. We just drove from Atlanta to Tucson in our S, and it was one of the most comfortable cross country trips I’ve had the pleasure of making. The 3 would have worked nicely as well, but not had the overall comfort level.

So far as Ludicrous or Insane modes are concerned, they can be turned on and left on. I never take my S out of Insane mode. It is a simple 1 “button” select. If I’d like the maximum performance, I select Insane plus, which will heat the battery to provide the maximum performance possible given my SOC. The same holds true for the Mommy mode of the newest performance models of the model S 100. Whether one wants or needs a performance model, including the 3P, which is a great car, is totally a subjective decision. But for myself, it was a no brainer.

Reactions: bebebla
We own a model S P90D and a Model 3 LR. There is considerably more room in our S than in the Model 3, both for the passengers and certainly in the trunk area. I easily fit a 65 inch TV, boxed, in our S, and there is no way it would fit in our 3. We just drove from Atlanta to Tucson in our S, and it was one of the most comfortable cross country trips I’ve had the pleasure of making. The 3 would have worked nicely as well, but not had the overall comfort level.

So far as Ludicrous or Insane modes are concerned, they can be turned on and left on. I never take my S out of Insane mode. It is a simple 1 “button” select. If I’d like the maximum performance, I select Insane plus, which will heat the battery to provide the maximum performance possible given my SOC. The same holds true for the Mommy mode of the newest performance models of the model S 100. Whether one wants or needs a performance model, including the 3P, which is a great car, is totally a subjective decision. But for myself, it was a no brainer.

Interesting you feel like there’s way more room for the passengers. Leg room both front and rear is just about identical, but Model 3 has noticeably more headroom both front AND back.

2019 Tesla Model S Features & Specs | Edmunds

2019 Tesla Model 3 Features & Specs | Edmunds

Trunk space the Model S has in spades. Not to mention the wider opening.

5.) Power. No comparison. The Model 3 Performance destroys the 75D, as you'd expect. Interestingly, the 75D gets off the line pretty darn quickly, but at 40mph upwards it feels like a dog. 60mph when you put your foot down it's almost as if nothing happens (slight exaggeration). Whether a combination of weight or de-tuning of the motors, the 75D is great down low, and puny up top.

I probably have an explanation for this.
The Main Model 3 motor is a permanent magnet motor. They are more efficient than induction motors but suffer from torque ripple so they have to ramp up the torque slowly. Hence the RWD feels a bit more like a gas car and lacks this punch. The AWD has a front induction motor afaik to fill that torque gap but it is not quite as good as 2 of them in the Model S.

• Helpful
Reactions: JBT66

I have 3 kids. I don't care about their comfort in the back. My 3 has a lot more room than any car I had growing up lol. There is PLENTY of room!

I got a 75D as a loaner too and agree with most of it. I do like the 2 screen setup though because the alerts and around car views are much better in front of you than to the side. I also preferred the seats in the S as they had much better bolstering. The trunk hatch is way better than the 3s traditional trunk. I imagine cleaning the rear glass is far easier as well. I also prefer the S handles as it turns on the car via proximity which makes it so you dont have to open the door to unlock the charge cable.

I think when they finally upgrade the S to incorporate the changes from the 3 like the drive stalks and storage it will be a really great car.

Reactions: JBT66 and bebebla