Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 official test drives coming this year.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla can lower performance for a test drive on a performance EV to match a slower model. I wonder if they plan to add a Model 3 mode to their Model S test drive vehicles? That would allow some early purchasers to test the feel of Model 3 acceleration. If the customer isn't satisfied, then crank up the power and upsell the customer to Model S.

I believe car dealers in general would prefer you test drive the most powerful and fully loaded car on the lot, regardless of what you want to buy. Later, when you actually drive the one you wanted, it will be a much less satisfying experience, making for an easier upsell from the very beginning.

I just had this happen at a MINI dealer. My wife wanted to test drive a regular Cooper S to feel the difference between S and non-S. But the salesguy spent 10m trying to get the the car with the performance upgrades (JCW version) off of the dealer's sidewalk area so we could drive that one instead, insisting that it was "pretty much the same" (it is sooo not-the-same). After that, my wife stopped talking regular Cooper and only Cooper S.

I believe car dealers in general would prefer you test drive the most powerful and fully loaded car on the lot, regardless of what you want to buy. Later, when you actually drive the one you wanted, it will be a much less satisfying experience, making for an easier upsell from the very beginning.

I just had this happen at a MINI dealer. My wife wanted to test drive a regular Cooper S to feel the difference between S and non-S. But the salesguy spent 10m trying to get the the car with the performance upgrades (JCW version) off of the dealer's sidewalk area so we could drive that one instead, insisting that it was "pretty much the same" (it is sooo not-the-same). After that, my wife stopped talking regular Cooper and only Cooper S.
Get her in a real Model S ;)

Reactions: tracksyde
My brother owns a new 90S but will not let others, especially valet attendants, drive it.
He fears some inexperienced driver would jump behind the wheel in their haste, and 'rocket' the Tesla through the wall, or trees, or vehicles in front.
Neither did I drive it ..... but he demonstrated it's acceleration. I personally think it would be great to have that potential, but there is absolutely no need for that much acceleration in a crowded city environment. What I don't know is how much 'pedal to the metal' is required.

1st day online reservation before the reveal event, here in SF bay area right next to Tesla, no pop up yet. At the bottom of the M3 reservation FAQ page there is a text link to test drive, but it just links to a page that only offers MS and MX:

upload_2017-6-16_8-47-28.png

I wonder if the test drive popup is occurring for folks on the west coast only? I am not seeing the popup...
It shows it after 30 seconds if you don't already have a cookie indicating it has already been displayed. If you delete your cookies, you should see it. If you don't want to delete all cookies, you can remove the lc_test_drive_m3 cookie, refresh and it will show up in 30 seconds.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
It shows it after 30 seconds if you don't already have a cookie indicating it has already been displayed. If you delete your cookies, you should see it. If you don't want to delete all cookies, you can remove the lc_test_drive_m3 cookie, refresh and it will show up in 30 seconds.

It doesn't do that for me. I don't have the lc_test_drive_m3 cookie on my system. I've searched through the code and found the function that will show the dialog box (js_oTYEN6fbV7M3jPMn5i1Niwe0VFSXCQnTQI_vqMKrbCg.js::(initPopupForTestDrive()). If I call it manually I will see the dialog. But nowhere in the code is this function called. I wonder if they have some server side code that includes a call to this function depending on location.

Edit: well there is a call to iniPopupForTestDrive(), but it is completely commented out with a descriptive comment: "Init for testing"

I filled out the test drive form back in late 2015 with no call. I did it again after the M3 reveal as I was thinking about getting a CPO MS, and got no call. I attempted #3 just yesterday with no call or email yet.

I live in Omaha with the closest location 3 hours away but I was more than willing to make the drive or include it in one of you quarterly trips there. They must have me flagged as not interested or something. I am surprised they didn't give every day one reservation holder a call for a MS/MX test drive.

This all sounds like good news to me. The early West Coast reserves aren't getting the pop up because they will be offered the opportunity to configure early. I bought one of the early Model Xs and as I recall, I had to finalize/configure before test drives were available. I was able to actually see and touch one via special invite at least.

The bad news for me is that as a current Tesla owner who reserved on day 1, it sounds like geography may trump all other considerations. Although they did follow up with a sales call and seemed to be unaware that I was a current owner - so there is still hope.

• Informative
Reactions: Waiting4M3
My brother owns a new 90S but will not let others, especially valet attendants, drive it.
He fears some inexperienced driver would jump behind the wheel in their haste, and 'rocket' the Tesla through the wall, or trees, or vehicles in front.
Neither did I drive it ..... but he demonstrated it's acceleration. I personally think it would be great to have that potential, but there is absolutely no need for that much acceleration in a crowded city environment. What I don't know is how much 'pedal to the metal' is required.
isn't that what valet mode is for?

Reactions: Az_Rael
Forget about "maximum plaid", we need the "granny" mode :D

Dear Tesla, I am sorry for saying that you did not get back to me. It might have taken 20 months or so from my initial inquiry but you finally did. Actually it was only 2 hours after I posted on here that I got the call and email. I look forward to a 60D test drive and a little fun in a silky smooth P100D in a couple weeks.

Test.png

Just got a call from Tesla offering a test drive, saying MS and MX available now, I told him that I'm not interested in MS or MX due to them being a little too big for me, and I'm interested in the M3, he said that M3 test drive will be later in 2017 or early 2018, and will provide more details next month when production starts. It was a pleasant and quick call. And as I was typing this update, another person called from Tesla about the same thing. This test drive push is getting pretty serious.

• Helpful
Reactions: ikjadoon
That wouldn't be the same one would think... the handling will likely be different and it'd be hard to simulate the center display with no instrument panel. You'd need a real Model 3.
I believe car dealers in general would prefer you test drive the most powerful and fully loaded car on the lot, regardless of what you want to buy.
To get a better feel of Model 3 in a Model S, Tesla could reduce power, only use the rear wheels, set the seats low with identical leg room and turn off the dash display plus put the landscape screen graphics on the upper part of the center display. Tesla writes the software, so it could be done to simulate the Model 3 as best as possible.

Better yet, production Model 3 vehicles for Tesla employees would be distributed to those employees that ordered at each service center or Tesla Store. Those vehicles would be test driven by those with an early reservation. If the Elon and the Founders could "give up" their Model X cars for the event in Fremont, the local employees could do the same. Imagine one huge nationwide test drive event.

Is it anti-sell? Or are they looking to damp expectations that regular people will actually see cars in 2017?

This goes a long way to reinforce my "gut feeling" schedule for production ramp up, that I'm copying from another thread.

July: NADA, except some hand built RCs as they have now. Tesla may claim that they're off of the line, but that's a bit fuzzy. These cars will be a mix of hand & machine assembled, using some production components and sub-assemblies and some prototype parts.
August: Same as July, but a higher proportion of assy and parts from production processes.
September: 100 - the first cars completed almost entirely on the actual production line, with all going to key employees
Month of October: 500 - employees
Month of November: 1000 - employees
Month of December: 2000 - employees and California
Month of January: 5000 - California
Month of February: 10000 - Start of general release
By June 2018, you'll see production of about 5,000 per week.

So far, I'm still not too bad. I figured 3500 in Q4; it was actually 1000 less. And virtually all of those have been employees and California.

I think that I'll be pretty close for January. They're talking about seeing intermittent run rates at 1000/week. So that should be stabilizing by mid January, with some higher run rates by the end of the month.

I finally was able to test drive Model 3 by attending an owner's club meeting in SoCal. Several who were lucky to have delivery before the end of the year were kind enough to put their vehicles on display for us to examine. While the drives were limited due to time, everyone agreed that Model 3 is excellent. The quiet and comfort were comparable to Model S. The view through the rear window is high, so using the rear camera display would be highly recommended when necessary.

Could I be happy trading in Model S for Model 3? The sleek wide dash, great handling, lower insurance rates and longer range would be excellent. I would miss the practicality of pop out handles, the driver display, a key fob and AM/XM radio. While continuing to drive Model S to enjoy those features, I look forward to the day when Model 3 will be provided as a loaner vehicle during Tesla service.