Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've definitely been in the interior skeptics camp, but it's starting to come together for me a bit. I hadn't noticed the way the column has to dip down away from the driver to even meet up with the dash. That's kind of hard to wrap my head around when I'm used to a column that actually angles up and away from me, and then on top of that there's an instrument cluster, and on top of that there's more dash to shield the instrument cluster, and then you see the road. Hard to tell until I sit in it, but I could see how this design could achieve a feeling of the steering wheel floating in place, and being able to see clearly through and around it without a dash or column in the way. Maybe this is the spaceship feeling he referred to, and not something you can fully appreciate from anywhere but the driver's seat.
My assumption is the steering column is shaped like that because it needs to tilt and telescope for adjustment. With the dash being low profile, only way could make it work without interrupting the flat profile of the dash.

Reactions: FloridaJohn
Has anyone figured out what the big black circle on the screen is? Could that be the blind spot warning? If so, that would make it pretty obvious.
Giant speedometer display?

Seems like the right shape, size and location for a Model S-like speedo/gear/range/power/regen gauge. Given that they have limited UI space to work with, especially within the driver's immediate field of vision, it seems like a good way to communicate all of the essential info in one place.

ModelSSpeedo.jpg

That said, I think back to Elon's prior comment about the variable "opacity" of the speedometer, and I wonder whether the fundamental UI of the speedo will vary depending on what you configure to show on the left-hand side of the screen. For example, if you put the map there, default display will be something very simple, like what we saw during the reveal-event rides, and it will float over the map as an overlay. On the other hand, if you prefer a prominent, Model S-style gauge, you could add that widget to the left-hand side of the screen instead, and place your map/music/etc on the right-hand side (as might be the case in the new interior picture above). In this case, there wouldn't be a need for the gauge to have variable opacity because there's no overlay, so the UI could be much more intricate without having to worry about readability.

Seems like the right shape, size and location for a Model S-like speedo/gear/range/power/regen gauge. Given that they have limited UI space to work with, especially within the driver's immediate field of vision, it seems like a good way to communicate all of the essential info in one place.

View attachment 224837
Yeah, but that's the old dial. AP equipped cars haven't had that for quite some time. That one doesn't even have the "toy car" in it, so probably before v. 7.0.

It does convey a lot of information in one dial though. I know many missed it when AP features were enabled.

I keep watching this video to try and assess the easiest way to rip that console apart and build in a yacht floor feature like my Model S has...
I have a feeling in 5 years we'll be looking at all our other cars and wondering if we can tear out that stupid instrument cluster and install a decent hi-res display.:D

Because it sticks way above the dash. Look at this picture and tell me how to build it in without either having a huge hump on the dash or having the screen way lower:
Does that make it a "heads up display?". Sure looks like one to me!:rolleyes:

Actually, it occurs to me that I look at my center screen on my S far more often than I look at anything on IC except speedometer. In reality, this "heads up" positioning of the display may be a huge improvement in minimizing the time when I glance away from road.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cdub and MP3Mike
I am concerned about the vents. Will they be adjustable? Can you raise, lower them? Is it just one big vent all the way across so passengers don't have their own controls? I am pretty short, and I have VERY dry eyes. I cannot handle the vents in any car directing air into my face. I adjust them all the time as I get hot/cold. I'm not thrilled with the dash at all. But, I'm sure I can get used to it. The air hitting me in the face is not something I could get used to. Would hate to think I could never wear contacts if I want to drive my car.

Reactions: alseTrick
I am concerned about the vents. Will they be adjustable? Can you raise, lower them? Is it just one big vent all the way across so passengers don't have their own controls? I am pretty short, and I have VERY dry eyes. I cannot handle the vents in any car directing air into my face. I adjust them all the time as I get hot/cold. I'm not thrilled with the dash at all. But, I'm sure I can get used to it. The air hitting me in the face is not something I could get used to. Would hate to think I could never wear contacts if I want to drive my car.
Just close your eyes. Do you keep your eyes open when you are in a Taxi?

You won't care.

I know it's been said that the charge port will be in the same location as the S:
View attachment 224833
But I'm struggling to imagine how it opens up in the 3:
View attachment 224832
The whole side of the 3 tail light looks to be one solid piece versus the charging port of the S. Does it flip upward?

It looks fairly straightforward to me. Here is what it looks like finished:

img_3928-jpg.224433

but this earlier picture of an RC had same flap in black, and it looks like it can flip open the way it does now. I'm not sure I see the problem.

Tesla-Model-3-release-candidate-side-profile.jpg

Yeah, but that's the old dial. AP equipped cars haven't had that for quite some time. That one doesn't even have the "toy car" in it, so probably before v. 7.0.

It does convey a lot of information in one dial though. I know many missed it when AP features were enabled.

Yeah, I figured it could have been an old version of the dial... I just did a quick (lazy!) Google Images search to help make the point.

Not so quick compared to what? You have to divide by zero to compare number of Tesla UI updates to Leaf UI updates, or any other car I've ever owned.

exactly. I asked Audi if there was a software update to allow my model year to be compatible with Android Auto like the more recent years of my car.

the silence was deafening.

I didn't even ask about OTA, I would have been cool if they had it available on a flash drive.

From an aesthetics standpoint, I truly cannot argue. However, I drove 500 miles yesterday in my X at highway speeds and averaged 299Wh/mi. Efficiency could be stellar on the 3 with the right aerodynamics.
Either my common road trip is way more windy, or elevation changes, or your definition of highway speed doesn't match mine! I'm lucky to stay under 400Wh/mi. I'm guessing it's a combination of all of the above, but especially speed - 80mph+ for me ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.