Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
new interior pics from teslarati

First close-up look at Tesla's Model 3 interior in production-ready form

blue-model-3-interior-side-dash-2-04272017-teslarati.jpg

Great. I was always sure I was going to get me a Model 3 in silver, but that blue surely looks very tempting as well.

And interesting how colour and a different angle can change the perceived look so completely. The picture of the white Model 3 from straight behind looks very unelegant imho, yet the pic of the blue one from slightly further back, to the right and a little above makes it seem so elegant. Almost as if it were two different types of car.
Then again, looking at the picture of the white one once more, the aspect ratio seems to be a little off anyway, as the other cars in that pic also look rather more squashed vertically than what they actually look like.

Or perhaps the white one was an early Model Y prototype ;)

Last edited:
I don't think it will ever be settled, cause nobody is ever going to physically be in the same location as an alpha and final car to feel the difference. And even then, nobody would take them at their word. Pictures will always have arguments about reflections and focal length, even very well controlled ones. And I doubt Tesla even cares to make a public statement "yes, we changed the front bumper".

I'm not so pessimistic. The prototype car, in the end, was photographed in so many ways and Tesla/Elon/etc. will talk about Model 3 so much once launched... so once we can see the final in many ways, it will be settled (well, for 99,9% of people anyway) who was right on this.

Honestly, this whole conversation is tiresome. In 9 months nobody will care. The Model 3 will be what the Model 3 will be, and people will love it, and most will not even know that maybe possibly there are minor differences since the original alpha models. There will be maybe 2 or 3 people on TMC that will have refused to get a Model 3 because of the supposed change. A changed or not facsia will not be a deciding factor for the rest of us in this conversation.

Most everything we talk about pre-release cars becomes pointless once they are released (same with any pre-release product). That is kind of the whole point, to pass time and learn until that point. After which the nature of the game changes.

It is not completely pointless, though. I learned a lot by watching Tesla develop Model X on TMC. That helps understand Tesla and things like taking part in this conversation with a little bit more experience under my belt - it also helped/helps with the Model X purchase and ownership. I expect the same with those who've invested time and energy to Model 3 discussions, it will pay some future dividends that way.

That said, like most hobbies, of course this is mostly pointless. Hobbies often are. That, too, I guess is a part of the whole point.

I don't see why people have some of many, many kinds of hobbies. But I don't blame them for it, I just don't take part.

Last edited:
Reactions: ccutrer
I'm not big on wood trim, but this wood trim looks tacky. It doesn't flow with the design. It looks like the designers just slapped a piece across the dash at random.
Lemme see, you've got a grainy shot through reflective glass of a partial interior and you are judging materials and design?

I personally like that wood trim implementation - well, judging the quality of the wood veneer remains to be seen - it is quite nice overall. It might look good in carbon fiber too.

The center console seems a little less appealing for me IMO, but again, we shall see.

And interesting how colour and a different angle can change the perceived look so completely. The picture of the white Model 3 from straight behind looks very unelegant imho, yet the pic of the blue one from slightly further back, to the right and a little above makes it seem so elegant. Almost as if it were two different types car.

Exactly why I'm hesitant to see the front end changes.

Also, clear that there are no changes to the trunk opening on the white one. Wonder what Elon actually meant when he said they fixed it.

Reactions: ohmman
Here are the rears to compare...

For me the rear is not displaying as evident changes as the front, the more we see rear shots. But does it look to you as well that the rear bumper of the left/right side extended higher up in the old prototype while on the new release candidate the sheet metal is extending lower? Perhaps just the angle of the cars.

From some of the shots I could also believe that the outboard parts of the rear lights could also lift up with the trunk, but I agree that in the white shot, the old shape would seem the probable one. Trouble lining components up seems more likely in some cases. ;)

Also perhaps the shape of the charge port door seems to have changed, though, on its bottom right corner?

But yeah, while there are chances of subtle changes and even bigger changes inside that are not seen, the trunk is mostly as we know it externally. Whether or not they have managed to expand the interior of the opening remains to be seen.

New:

img_3934-jpg.224758

Old:

2017-Tesla-Model-3-rear-end.jpg

And earlier shorts from side:

New:

Tesla-Model-3-release-candidate-side-profile.jpg

Old:

Silver-Tesla-Model-3-test-mule-SpaceX.jpg

Just to kind of document what my eyes see on the front one more time, this image was earlier in this thread:

kVPCBoc.jpg

I acknowledge these two comparison shots have been taken from different angles and likely at different focal lengths. However especially the lines 1 and 2 are the thing the seem so strikingly dfifferent to me on the new production candidates vs. the ole prototypes.

I try to look - time and again - at the new release candidates and see the old familiar duckface we have seen for some many months, but it is not showing to me. :) The old duckface was so prominent, so instantly recognizable, and somehow the new mules seem to have softened that up to my eye.

Sort of like the old proudly upwards nose is now drooping a little lower. It could be paint and reflections playing tricks, but I can't see it...

Just to kind of document what my eyes see on the front one more time, this image was earlier in this thread:

I acknowledge these two comparison shots have been taken from different angles and likely at different focal lengths. However especially the lines 1 and 2 are the thing the seem so strikingly dfifferent to me on the new production candidates vs. the ole prototypes.

I try to look - time and again - at the new release candidates and see the old familiar duckface we have seen for some many months, but it is not showing to me. :) The old duckface was so prominent, so instantly recognizable, and somehow the new mules seem to have softened that up to my eye.

Sort of like the old proudly upwards nose is now drooping a little lower. It could be paint and reflections playing tricks, but I can't see it...

and yet, to me, lines 1 and 2 on your pics are the ones I'm certain haven't changed much, if at all. Guess everyone sees things differently. From every angle, the prototypes look different to me. Sometimes more duck faced, sometimes not.

s9reh4xliceo3qabczbl.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.