Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signature red Model 3?????
supercharger-expansion-01_zpsqrwrdeok.jpg
Oh perfect for my "Sims" life! I'll let you know how much he likes the single screen.... Wait he says there's an AR HUD!

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
In addition to being 20% smaller by volume, it's also supposed to be 20% lighter which is really exciting.
Yeah...can you imagine......if Tesla would put the same inverter in the Model 3 that's in the Model S? Boy - that would be fantastic. In that case Tesla would have to create another 0-60 description - Unconscious ( not ludicrous or insane). Sub 2 0-60 times would for sure cause the blood to rush out of the brain and leave the driver unconscious.

I would buy it. Of course I wouldn't be able to tell you about it, but I would buy it none-the-less.

Yeah...can you imagine......if Tesla would put the same inverter in the Model 3 that's in the Model S? Boy - that would be fantastic. In that case Tesla would have to create another 0-60 description - Unconscious ( not ludicrous or insane). Sub 2 0-60 times would for sure cause the blood to rush out of the brain and leave the driver unconscious.

Only if they can find a way to make it for half the cost. Maybe for the P model?

AFAIK the Model S isnt that much larger than a 3 anyways. The "20%" smaller comes also from making the width more narrow which generally you do not notice as much as lenght anyways. So a 10% less wide and 5% less cabin lenght and then 2.5% from trunk and frunk isn't actually all that noticable.
Huh?

The S is much longer than it is wider compared to the 3. Just look at a side by side comparison*, you can see length was drastically reduced. Sure, the width is narrower too, but I think Model 3 might actually be taller than the S (gotta get that rear headroom :rolleyes:), which makes it look even more narrow.

full

*assuming similar focal lengths based on spy shots and phone pics of each car.

The front is shorter in both length and especially height, and the cabin moved closer to the wheel which makes it even shorter. The ass end was also shortened quite a bit. Look at the long spoiler swoop of the S compared to the 3. The 3 roofline pretty much ends at the back of the car, whereas the S extends quite a bit longer.

I would actually say that the cars will have pretty similar widths. There are some estimates out there pointing to 74", which is about 3-4% less than Model S. Length is estimated to be 184", which is 6-7% less than the S. Sure, these are just estimates, but I don't see them varying too much and if they do, the proportions will still probably stay the same.

Most of Model 3's size reduction comes from making it more "stubby".

Q4 2015 earnings call
Elon:
Interesting. To be fair though, that was a loooong time ago, and Elon's known for breaking his word in less time than that. I wonder too if he actually meant "smaller"? The guy's not exactly eloquent, and looking at the context of that quote, "lighter" doesn't really even make sense.

When pitching a "sedan" to customers, why would the layman be more concerned with weight over size?. And how does weight have more to do with manufacturability than size? (Although that may be a separate unrelated thought.)

Reactions: Big-T
Everybody knew the steering wheel was going to change. Everybody. Nobody actually expected it to be the same as in the first reveal.

If Tesla didn't want people seeing the interior because they didn't think it was production-worthy/ready, then they shouldn't produce that interior in the final version of the car. Also pretty simple.
Let me put this another way:
The prototype had that off the shelf steering wheel that looked tacked on.
It didn't have the wood interior accents which will likely be in the production car (some of the recent spy photos seem to show).
The center console was looked like it was a rapid prototype piece (including the cup holders) and will likely be more polished in the final version.
If it is like most prototypes, the build quality will also not stand up to closer inspection.
It is small details like that, which if they allowed the Motor Trend crew to take high resolution up close photos would be unflattering.

It does not necessarily mean from a macro sense that there will be major changes or that they aren't proud of the general design overall (as I believe you are trying to imply).

Last edited:
Reactions: BluestarE3
Let me put this another way:
The prototype had that off the shelf steering wheel that looked tacked on.
It didn't have the wood interior accents which will likely be in the production car (some of the recent spy photos seem to show).
The center console was looked like it was a rapid prototype piece (including the cup holders) and will likely be more polished in the final version.
If it is like most prototypes, the build quality will also not stand up to closer inspection.
It is small details like that, which if they allowed the Motor Trend crew to take high resolution up close photos would be unflattering.

It does not necessarily mean from a macro sense that there will be major changes or that they aren't proud of the general design overall (as I believe you are trying to imply).
Regarding small details, from the pictures I saw, the prototypes looked to be pretty well put together. The fit and finish on the body panels was outstanding. I would also expect them to put extra care into a crisp interior since they were giving test rides. Sure, it may be simple to produce quickly, but there's no reason to be sloppy when you're only making a couple cars.

That said, I suspect the attempts to hide the interior are simply because it's not complete, rather than it being poor quality, although it may be some of both.

Regarding small details, from the pictures I saw, the prototypes looked to be pretty well put together. The fit and finish on the body panels was outstanding. I would also expect them to put extra care into a crisp interior since they were giving test rides. Sure, it may be simple to produce quickly, but there's no reason to be sloppy when you're only making a couple cars.

That said, I suspect the attempts to hide the interior are simply because it's not complete, rather than it being poor quality, although it may be some of both.

I think it's pretty clear that Tesla received poor feedback on the interiors after the first reveal and then went about limiting their visibility thereafter. I highly doubt they were hiding the interior over something like a steering wheel upgrade or a wood decor accent piece not being added. I agree they looked reasonably well put together, while noting that there wasn't much to put together.

I would buy it. Of course I wouldn't be able to tell you about it, but I would buy it none-the-less.

dont forget that less weight also means less traction...

Huh?

The S is much longer than it is wider compared to the 3. Just look at a side by side comparison*, you can see length was drastically reduced. Sure, the width is narrower too, but I think Model 3 might actually be taller than the S (gotta get that rear headroom :rolleyes:), which makes it look even more narrow.

full

*assuming similar focal lengths based on spy shots and phone pics of each car.

The front is shorter in both length and especially height, and the cabin moved closer to the wheel which makes it even shorter. The ass end was also shortened quite a bit. Look at the long spoiler swoop of the S compared to the 3. The 3 roofline pretty much ends at the back of the car, whereas the S extends quite a bit longer.

I would actually say that the cars will have pretty similar widths. There are some estimates out there pointing to 74", which is about 3-4% less than Model S. Length is estimated to be 184", which is 6-7% less than the S. Sure, these are just estimates, but I don't see them varying too much and if they do, the proportions will still probably stay the same.

Most of Model 3's size reduction comes from making it more "stubby".

well, thats a CGI pic and estimates. The only official render from Tesla which showed all 3 cars showed them at fairly similar size. Although obviously the 3 is a bit smaller. Definetly not like BMW 3 series vs 7 series though.

I think it's pretty clear that Tesla received poor feedback on the interiors after the first reveal and then went about limiting their visibility thereafter. I highly doubt they were hiding the interior over something like a steering wheel upgrade or a wood decor accent piece not being added. I agree they looked reasonably well put together, while noting that there wasn't much to put together.

Are you actually trying to argue that Tesla is hiding the interior because they are embarrassed about it, and they want to surprise people with a bad interior? That makes absolutely no sense, unless you think people will have to sign agreements to buy the car without looking at the interior.

well, thats a CGI pic and estimates. The only official render from Tesla which showed all 3 cars showed them at fairly similar size. Although obviously the 3 is a bit smaller. Definetly not like BMW 3 series vs 7 series though.
I think those are pictures of the actual reveal Model 3 and the refreshed Model S taken by Motor Trend last year at the Gigafactory.

I think it's pretty clear that Tesla received poor feedback on the interiors after the first reveal and then went about limiting their visibility thereafter.
Oh dear god I hope this is the case. I really really really really do. I hope they're seeing media and public reaction to this car and I hope they're addressing the issues.

But Tesla and Elon seem to be weirdly stubborn and proud to the point where maybe they just don't care (or think we won't care!). I don't see Tesla as a company that allows themselves to be manipulated by the media or public opinion. They have a design idea for the Model 3, and they are damn well going to execute it regardless of what people think. You don't want a taxi? You're getting a taxi! You want a second screen? You're only getting one! Not thrilled with our barren interior or other simplistic design choices to prioritize manufacturability over customer experience? Too bad! Tesla is the only game in town!

So, I'm not holding my breath for anything earth-shattering with this interior.

wtf is this:

upload_2017-4-25_17-54-36.png

That section is glass on the Model S/X. When the window is fully rolled down, that triangular piece stays put. Is this just a piece of plastic? I know a lot of cars have plastic here, but this seems abnormally big. Like, I get it, you need to hold the mirror in place, but does it need to extend backwards beyond the mirror so much? Front blind spots are no fun... and kinda kills the expansive feel Tesla is going for with the glass roof.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-25_17-54-22.png
    upload_2017-4-25_17-54-22.png
    415.6 KB · Views: 43

It's not a CGI picture. It was from the Motor Trend photoshoot where they took pictures of the Model S, Model 3, Model X from the same position for comparison. From the same article Motor Trend provided the following estimates for Model 3:
L x W x H: 184.1 x 74.2 x 56.5 in

The article also mentioned the following lengths:
Model X 198.3"
Model S 196.0"
Model 3 184.1"
BMW 340i 182.8"
(for reference the 7 series is 206.6")
Tesla Model 3 In-Depth - Exclusive Photos and Analysis

For completeness (L x W x H):
Model S: 196.0 x 77.3 x 56.5 in
Model 3: 184.1 x 74.2 x 56.5 in
BMW 340i: 182.8 x 71.3 x 56.3 in