Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 MR charges at 32 amp vs LR at 48 amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you, but $1,000.00 in parts plus my electrician to install it brings the price to around fuggit. I appreciate the thought and post though, my electrician told me the same thing. I asked him to bring over a couple $200 HPWC's and have at it, he laughed.
I didn't say it's cheap or worthwhile for everyone, but power sharing HPWCs is an available option many people aren't familiar with and the convenience is worth the money to some people.

I have a limited number of hours available in my off-peak electric rate schedule, so I need to be able to plug in both cars before I go to bed and have them both finished when I wake up. Off-Peak is 11pm-7am. I'm not going to get up at 4 or 5 am to move the plug. Of course, charging each car on alternate days would work for many people. Luckily, I have a 50 amp circuit dedicated to each car.

I didn't say it's cheap or worthwhile for everyone, but power sharing HPWCs is an available option many people aren't familiar with and the convenience is worth the money to some people.

I have a limited number of hours available in my off-peak electric rate schedule, so I need to be able to plug in both cars before I go to bed and have them both finished when I wake up. Off-Peak is 11pm-7am. I'm not going to get up at 4 or 5 am to move the plug. Of course, charging each car on alternate days would work for many people. Luckily, I have a 50 amp circuit dedicated to each car.
Alternating schedule works great for me, except the 1 or 2 times it didn’t and I had to set an alarm. Going to add the second WC one of these days.

Reactions: eprosenx
Hey folks. I am looking for clarification. I have a Model 3 Mid Range. I purchased a HPWC. I have asked my electrician to run 75 ft. of 6 gauge to a 60A circuit and install the HPWC. The documentation states to set the "dip settings" on the HPWC to max. charge rate of 48A. As mentioned, the MR onboard charger is 32A. Can the Model3 MR utilize the additional 16A amps available from the HPWC? My understanding is NO.

Hey folks. I am looking for clarification. I have a Model 3 Mid Range. I purchased a HPWC. I have asked my electrician to run 75 ft. of 6 gauge to a 60A circuit and install the HPWC. The documentation states to set the "dip settings" on the HPWC to max. charge rate of 48A. As mentioned, the MR onboard charger is 32A. Can the Model3 MR utilize the additional 16A amps available from the HPWC? My understanding is NO.
No it will just draw 32A. But if you have a 60A circuit, there’s no reason to set the switch below 48. Maybe a friend will visit who wants to plug in and can use 48A, or maybe your next Tesla will have a 48A charger.