Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Margins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
30% price improvement is expected by them to be achieved with the GF. There's also battery tech improvement of 5-8% each year. So $130/kWh is not too optimistic for 2018.
Presuming a modest 10% discount from the march of progress and 30% from the GF decreases their current $190/kWh pack cost to 190*0.7*0.9 = $119.7

I Include the decimal to show my confidence ;-)

By the way, EM said that he would be disappointed if pack prices were not below $100 within 10 years -- say by 2025. You can backtrack if you like, with a 30% jump put into 2018 and 5-8% per year change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
Presuming a modest 10% discount from the march of progress and 30% from the GF decreases their current $190/kWh pack cost to 190*0.7*0.9 = $119.7

I Include the decimal to show my confidence ;-)
Originally, the 30% would be coming from the fully operational GF, which won't be complete until 2020. However, I would imagine if they started to be able to make cells by the end of this year, the entire process would be vertically integrated so the costs from all the middle men would be eliminated. The rest is just scaling up for more output. In 2017 I'm not sure they can reach the 30% because after all the GF hasn't reached its maximum yet. But something like 15-20% wouldn't be unthinkable.

Well, I think some of the costs are higher than speculated (since we're speculating here) Let's say I'd agree on the motor, inverter and glider, the following seem a bit low to me:
Nothing at all wrong with that opinion. Speculation is encouraged! I would, however, strongly suggest you read the Forbes article by Bob Lutz that I linked to in the first post.

$130 KW/H - I know Tesla said that they're under $190 but that's a 30% improvement over the $190 number. Seems like Tesla would have said we're under $150 or something similar if they were really at $130. Will they get there eventually, sure but I'd be surprised if they got to that rate in the first year or two.
As I said before, under is under. Tesla Motors was reported to be under $180 per kWh barely a couple of months after some 'expert' claimed it would be IMPOSSIBLE to see even $183 per kWh prior to 2022-2024. And that was in 2014!

Since I am an extremely optimistic person when it comes to Tesla Motors, I work from the $180 per kWh amount as their likely current cost, the one that Elon Musk says the Gigafactory will improve upon by no less than 30% from the very outset.

$17 per hour labor - It's going to be higher when you factor in the worker benefits like health insurance, vacation, holiday pay, 401k, etc not to mention the likely overtime they're going to have to cough up to get 400k cars out the door
Yadda, yadda, yadda... It costs money to employ people. Big deal. Better to do so and pay them well. Fremont is not going to be a sweat shop. Tesla Motors will need happy employees who are capable and willing to work lots of overtime. Many of them will be cross-trained to work multiple places at the facility. They will work for the company, hopefully for several years, not solely for the Model ☰. During this period of constant growth, attributing labor costs to a specific vehicle is not appropriate.

Warranty costs - I'm sure eventually the warranty cost will go down but there seems to be general agreement that the first year or more of new car production has higher than typical warranty costs and Tesla's are already more than double the traditional ICE manufacturers.
Warranty costs for a vehicle manufactured at around 50,000 units per year are bound to be higher than those for one that will reach 500,000 per year. Attempting to balance the budget of warranty service for the first 10,000 cars as if the same amount will be needed for the 3,500,000+ you intend to build over eight years. And when you consider that traditional automobile manufacturers attempt to reuse components from their respective parts bins of older cars in newer cars means their cost is lower. The less they cost, the less you have to set aside as funding for warranty service. Tesla Motors is building that inventory of parts for the very first time right now. And most warranty service on the Model S has been for rather simple things such as the alignment of seals at windows or wear on the threading for the seats.

I'm saying this not to squabble over the various percents but to point out that I think Elon is hoping to get to that 12-15% profit margin EVENTUALLY once the model 3 is in full production, not right out of the gate on the first few thousand models.
That is a fair way of looking at it, I simply disagree. I got the impression he meant that relative to the very first cars off the line. It is undoubtedly open to interpretation, though.

And to get back to SageBrush's point - history is littered with plenty of smart, talented, companies out there that were within "spitting distance of profitability" (if I may quote from the CEO of the now defunct startup that I joined after college). Who had a vision, a great product, and even a path to profits, but were not able to generate said profits fast enough before investor confidence fell and the money dried up.

I sure hope that isn't Tesla's fate, I don't expect it to be Tesla's fate, but you can't base it on the assumption that the OP is stating
The difference between profitability and bankruptcy can be a thin one. Considering what has happened thus far, I would not fault Tesla Motors for going much further into the red in the short term in order to build the ship that will sail them into more profitable waters. I believe that Tesla Motors has the expertise to make that happen.

From my perspective, 'investor confidence' is of no particular concern. If 95% of shareholders put in SELL orders next week, that just makes for a greater opportunity for me to BUY. The money those guys trade back and forth on Wall Street is of no consequence to the business I run. The stock market is naught more than a tool that may be used for fund raising. After that happens, who cares?

My only real assumption is that Tesla Motors will be able to build a car at a given budget. That car will be more advanced than any other available at its price point. It will be an impressive and compelling example of what an electric vehicle can be. And every single iteration of it will be profitable. While every highly optioned version will be extremely profitable. Their margin will not be either thin, nor negligible.

Of course it is true that if a company doesn't have to expand, invest in infrastructure, invest in new tech, expand into new markets the bar for profitability is a lot lower.

That positioning is fool's game since that without those investments, that profit picture will just decline over time, possibly rapidly if well capitalized competitors and buyers see you as stagnant and their investments increase and crush you.
And there we have it. You just want to criticize Tesla Motors for the sake of doing so. You will never accept, or allow, or admit that anything they do, can do, or will do is in any way viable. If they work to expand, you will say they are being 'irresponsible'. If they stop and rake in the cash, you will call them 'stagnant'. YOU CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS! And either way, you will claim they are doomed to failure. C'mon, MAN!

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
Again, you are assuming they won't go under and therefore giving them 12% net profit margin outright.
Why in the bloody [HECK] would I presume Tesla Motors were going out of business BEFORE the Model ☰ comes to market? There would be no reason for me, or anyone else to be spending time in these forums if that were the sole point of conversation. YOUR assumption, presumption, or determined position that SHOULD be the case is utterly ridiculous at the very least.

What I assume is that in order to AVOID BEING STUPID ENOUGH TO DRIVE THEMSELVES OUT OF BUSINESS that Tesla Motors would make the fundamental effort to ensure they can build even the very base version of the Model ☰ in a profitable fashion from the outset. Why? Because it makes [GOLDURNED] sense! That's why! [FLOCK]!

This is absolutely the wrong way to investigate the cost and profit margin of the Model 3. No company wants to go bankrupt, but many did. Although I don't see Tesla being one of them (I am heavily invested in TSLA), when speculating the margins of their products, you just can't assume they won't bankrupt and therefore assume they will make a certain level of profit margin.
And YOU can't 'just assume' that the company will GO OUT OF BUSINESS! NEITHER can you you 'just assume' that the Model ☰ would be designed, engineered, and manufactured with the express purpose of being UNDERWATER from the outset! That would be DUMB!

As for the various components, except for the battery cost and glider, I don't see any number, let alone any reasons to back them up. Let me just pick them one by one
Oh, great...

On the battery front, I agree with your estimates. ~$130/kWh seems like the right number after GF starts producing cells (before end of this year) and having almost one year to improve on efficiency. It might be even cheaper if they can get better prices on raw materials due to demand of Tesla Energy products.
They'll be fine on this front. Even if average annual improvement is only 5% they'll be under $100 per kWh in only six years. If they average at closer to 9% per year, they'll be under $100 per kWh in only three years.

On the motor, less material doesn't mean less cost. I'm not familiar with the Honda 600cc motorcycle engine but a quick Google search returned numbers about $500. Personally I think the motors used by Model 3 may be more expensive but maybe not too much. So, let's go with the $500 here.
The difference is that the little Honda motor produces at best around one third the horsepower and maybe a sixth of the torque of the electric motor while still getting worse relative fuel economy in a vehicle that weighs at least 3,000 lbs less. Drop that same 600cc motor in a TLX, ATS, 3-Series, or A4 and it would get absolutely TOASTED by the Model ☰ in every conceivable Performance category. By comparison? A BMW 320i engine is around $8,800 at retail. Even if you presume the manufacturer's cost is 1/3rd of that amount, it is still $2,933. Six times as much as the $500 you noted.

On the inverter, first of, are there any high volume electronic suppliers in the Silicon Valley? Second, if there are, what does this have to do with the price Tesla gets? They may produce an appropriate inverter at low cost because they are high volume producer, but that doesn't mean Tesla can get a low price if they are not ordering in bulks. Look at the Powerpack. Tesla definitely has the cheapest production cost for the same level of products. But if you're ordering no more than 50+ of them, you get a quote of $470/kWh instead of the possibility $250/kWh for utilities level buyers. How much it costs? I don't know either, but let's say the same as the motor, $500.
I'm pretty sure Elon has Foxconn and similar suppliers on speed dial for circuit boards and whatnot. Tesla Motors has multiple facilities now. I would not doubt that several components are built in-house, even if not on-site at Fremont. Raw materials go in one end of the building, cars roll out the other.

On the glider, $22k for the glider is my estimate as well, also coming from back calculating the BMW 3. But this is assuming Tesla is using cheaper parts to compensate they can't get the parts as cheap as BMW because their order size is much smaller. Whether this assumption is correct or not, I don't know, but let's go with it.
The fact of the matter is that a BMW 320i is no better appointed than a Toyota Camry LE. Tesla Motors will not have a particularly high bar to get over here. Just because the seats may be 'cheap' doesn't mean they will be substandard. Aside from the Recaro seats they get from Johnson Controls, others are manufactured by Futura across the street from Fremont.

On the labor, yes there's no union in Tesla. But they are paid about $17/hour on the job. One shift per worker equals to $170. Tesla has over 13k employee and a big chunk of them are factory line workers. They produced roughly 50k cars in 2015. Assuming about 300 days working and 1.5 shifts per day on average. And assuming 8000 workers completing all the work so effectively 5333 workers worked 4500 hours each for the year. That translates to about $8k per Model S for labor. Let's say Tesla increased efficiency for the Model 3 and cut this cost by half. Then $4k per car.
Yadda, yadda, yadda... It costs money to employ people. Big deal. Better to do so and pay them well. Fremont is not going to be a sweat shop. Tesla Motors will need happy employees who are capable and willing to work lots of overtime. Many of them will be cross-trained to work multiple places at the facility. They will work for the company, hopefully for several years, not solely on the Model ☰. During this period of constant growth, attributing labor costs to a specific vehicle is not appropriate.

On the tooling, I suggest you read their filings to SEC. The tooling cost is not a big upfront one-time expense. It is spread across 250k cars they make. And they are constantly adding/adjusting tooling to the production line so it will always be there and the total amount will go up with their total production (not necessarily on per car basis though). On their balance sheet, tooling was valued at $296M in 2014 and $551M in 2015. Distributing this to the 50k cars we get about $5k tooling cost per Model S. Again, cut it by half for Model 3. $2.5k.
Idunno about that. I'll check when I get a chance. But that seems incorrect to simply 'cut in half' on a per car basis, when Production is destined to be manufactured at a faster rate. Especially since they have only manufactured over 50,000 vehicles once so far.

On warranty, Model S is costing them about $3k per car. Let's cut it by half again, $1.5k. Consumers being screwed by dealers or not, it costs Tesla and eats into their profit margin, simple as that.
So, why are you applying this to profitability on the front end? That seems like an operational expense. Not a budgetary concern for Production or Sales.

Also there's delivery logistics. Model S is charging $1.2k so let's say it costs them $600. This shouldn't really be lower for Model 3 because shipping a car is shipping a car.
Other cars in the segment typically charge $995 or so as a Destination Fee. Why include this in the cost of the car, if you already know a separate fee, above and beyond the cost of the car, will cover it? That makes no sense.

So, add all these up, you get $38k of cost per basic Model 3 for Tesla. And this is before all the RND and SG&A which further cost them on the net margin front.
Yeah, and mysteriously, by subtracting all four of the last bogus charges you attributed, that $38,000 amount becomes...? $29,400. And that just happens to represent a 16% margin for a $35,000 car. Geez.

Regarding to what Elon said about profits on Model 3. I believe him. But think that's their long term goal, which is 2020 and beyond. For late 2017 and 2018, I don't believe they can get over 10% on the basic Model 3. And IMO that's why he said they will first deliver highly optioned Model 3. Because the margin on those options are 100% or more based on my observations for Model S.
You can believe that. I disagree. I believe that if at all possible, Elon would work it so that their margin on the base $35,000 car would be 25% from the very outset. Then, he would fight tooth and nail to deliver a version that had a $30,000 base price instead, so he could accept a 12.5% margin on it.

Again, I'm not saying this will be their cost. I certainly have made many mistakes in the above calculations. I also present this as their early Model 3 production scenario when less than 100k are made per year. Battery, motor, inverter, glider, labor, tooling would all likely to get lower with more production because they can get better prices from suppliers and can increase their efficiency in manufacturing. And I very very much welcome you to correct me. But when doing so, please provide something tangible besides of believing in them can lower their cost just because they need to survive.
The ONLY year that will see less than 100,000 of the Model ☰ built is 2017. Once again, I direct you to the link in the original post to a Forbes article by Bob Lutz. You do not determine the profitability of a car by the first few that roll off the line. You just admitted in your own final paragraph the very thing I have been saying all along -- Tesla Motors costs will go down with time. The only difference is I see that as improving their margin above and beyond a starting point of 12%, while you see it as a means to eventually reach that level of profitability, or close to it.

Why in the bloody [HECK] would I presume Tesla Motors were going out of business BEFORE the Model ☰ comes to market? There would be no reason for me, or anyone else to be spending time in these forums if that were the sole point of conversation. YOUR assumption, presumption, or determined position that SHOULD be the case is utterly ridiculous at the very least.

What I assume is that in order to AVOID BEING STUPID ENOUGH TO DRIVE THEMSELVES OUT OF BUSINESS that Tesla Motors would make the fundamental effort to ensure they can build even the very base version of the Model ☰ in a profitable fashion from the outset. Why? Because it makes [GOLDURNED] sense! That's why! [FLOCK]!

And YOU can't 'just assume' that the company will GO OUT OF BUSINESS! NEITHER can you you 'just assume' that the Model ☰ would be designed, engineered, and manufactured with the express purpose of being UNDERWATER from the outset! That would be DUMB!

Oh, great...

They'll be fine on this front. Even if average annual improvement is only 5% they'll be under $100 per kWh in only six years. If they average at closer to 9% per year, they'll be under $100 per kWh in only three years.

The difference is that the little Honda motor produces at best around one third the horsepower and maybe a sixth of the torque of the electric motor while still getting worse relative fuel economy in a vehicle that weighs at least 3,000 lbs less. Drop that same 600cc motor in a TLX, ATS, 3-Series, or A4 and it would get absolutely TOASTED by the Model ☰ in every conceivable Performance category. By comparison? A BMW 320i engine is around $8,800 at retail. Even if you presume the manufacturer's cost is 1/3rd of that amount, it is still $2,933. Six times as much as the $500 you noted.

I'm pretty sure Elon has Foxconn and similar suppliers on speed dial for circuit boards and whatnot. Tesla Motors has multiple facilities now. I would not doubt that several components are built in-house, even if not on-site at Fremont. Raw materials go in one end of the building, cars roll out the other.

The fact of the matter is that a BMW 320i is no better appointed than a Toyota Camry LE. Tesla Motors will not have a particularly high bar to get over here. Just because the seats may be 'cheap' doesn't mean they will be substandard. Aside from the Recaro seats they get from Johnson Controls, others are manufactured by Futura across the street from Fremont.

Yadda, yadda, yadda... It costs money to employ people. Big deal. Better to do so and pay them well. Fremont is not going to be a sweat shop. Tesla Motors will need happy employees who are capable and willing to work lots of overtime. Many of them will be cross-trained to work multiple places at the facility. They will work for the company, hopefully for several years, not solely on the Model ☰. During this period of constant growth, attributing labor costs to a specific vehicle is not appropriate.

Idunno about that. I'll check when I get a chance. But that seems incorrect to simply 'cut in half' on a per car basis, when Production is destined to be manufactured at a faster rate. Especially since they have only manufactured over 50,000 vehicles once so far.

So, why are you applying this to profitability on the front end? That seems like an operational expense. Not a budgetary concern for Production or Sales.

Other cars in the segment typically charge $995 or so as a Destination Fee. Why include this in the cost of the car, if you already know a separate fee, above and beyond the cost of the car, will cover it? That makes no sense.

Yeah, and mysteriously, by subtracting all four of the last bogus charges you attributed, that $38,000 amount becomes...? $29,400. And that just happens to represent a 16% margin for a $35,000 car. Geez.

You can believe that. I disagree. I believe that if at all possible, Elon would work it so that their margin on the base $35,000 car would be 25% from the very outset. Then, he would fight tooth and nail to deliver a version that had a $30,000 base price instead, so he could accept a 12.5% margin on it.

The ONLY year that will see less than 100,000 of the Model ☰ built is 2017. Once again, I direct you to the link in the original post to a Forbes article by Bob Lutz. You do not determine the profitability of a car by the first few that roll off the line. You just admitted in your own final paragraph the very thing I have been saying all along -- Tesla Motors costs will go down with time. The only difference is I see that as improving their margin above and beyond a starting point of 12%, while you see it as a means to eventually reach that level of profitability, or close to it.
I'm not assuming they will go bankrupt. Otherwise I would sold my shares of TSLA long ago. I'm not assuming anything, simply trying to deduct the costs of various components to arrive with a semi-educated conclusion. From this reply I can see your knowledge of how Tesla works has room for improvement. Read their 10k filings, especially on how COGS are calculated and what the actual numbers are then we can have a better discussion on the same level.

And there we have it. You just want to criticize Tesla Motors for the sake of doing so. You will never accept, or allow, or admit that anything they do, can do, or will do is in any way viable. If they work to expand, you will say they are being 'irresponsible'. If they stop and rake in the cash, you will call them 'stagnant'. !

Don't hurt yourself while you are twisting my words and guessing what I will say.
Take it easy, pal. It will be okay.

Nowhere did I say or imply that through expansion they are irresponsible. In fact, just the opposite since their valuation is based a lot more on their long term potential than their profit (after you take you all their investments and costs). Of course they have to invest - that is why it is silly and naive and denying reality to get all frothy with the statements like "well, they are profitable if they didn't have to invest". That is like saying "the US would have a balanced budget if they didn't have to spend money on the military".

Sorry that you don't like the term "stagrnant", but any company that has trouble growing because investing for the future is not working out fast enough would have that label.
Apple iPhone sales projected to be stagnant for Q1 2016
Unhappy with stagnant innovation, Google will become a cellphone carrier
Pew report: Instagram use growing quickly, Facebook stagnant

It will be okay.
It really will.

First, let me be clear. I don't doubt Model 3 base version would be profitable with a 10%+ net profit eventually. Because as they mature to a company making millions of cars, they have the same power as other big auto manufacturers when they sit down with suppliers. There's also improvement in manufacturing efficiency over time as they produce more. I am strictly talking about the early Model 3, namely the late 2017 and 2018, maybe 2019 ones.
Y'know, I only just noticed you were using the term 'net profit'. FYI...? That is total, complete, absolute, friggin' [BORSHT].

With 500k/year at 2020, they would be roughly the size of BMW. It is only at that time we can safely assume the cost of parts for the glider can be on par with BMW's without making sacrifices on the level of luxury or quality. Just look at the interior of Model S. Yes we can say we don't care, we can say it's "futuristic" and "minimalist", we can ignore the higher than average quality issues like gaps and alignment. But at the end of the day, we all know they lack in the luxury department compared to MB S class, BMW 7, and other cars in the same price range. Why? Because their orders for parts are not big enough to get the same price. Same goes with the early Model 3. This of course will improve over time as their production grows over time. But, during the early years of Model 3, this would be a major constraint on their profitability, if not the biggest. We just can't simply look over this and say since some other established big auto can make it with this price, Tesla can make it too.
No. That might match BMW's annual output of the 3-Series alone, but no... Tesla Motors would not be as large as BMW -- they will be opening a 320,000 unit facility in Mexico for the X3 alone next year. And let's face it, the Model S will probably triple the sales of the BMW 7-Series this year in the US. I'm sure they could get cow hide and camel hair from any supplier they wanted for whatever price they liked.

I don't give a flaming fig fart about the trappings of 'luxury'. NONE OF IT IMPRESSES ME. Having an interior that was 'just like everyone else' would be a NEGATIVE in my opinion. I'd rather those that prefer 'luxury' pay for it, by going to an aftermarket custom shop to give them the embroidered, quilted, pillowed, curtained, and chandeliered interiors they crave. You wanna know what's REALLY luxurious? The Porsche Panamera that was outsold better than 5:1 by the Model S. C'mon, MAN!

As for Elon and company's statements on costs, margins, and other stuff, which is I think Red Sage's starting point. He is well known to be optimistic, sometimes overoptimistic even. And from time to time, the actual performance falls below statements he made a year or two before. I don't think I need to elaborate on this if we are enthusiasts and know the history of Tesla. And as far as I know, he never said the basic Model 3 of $35k will have a profit margin of 12%. In fact, he anticipated the average selling price (ASP) of Model 3 would be ~$41k. Has he ever said 12% for the $35k or $41k? No. And the ASP for Model S with a 25-28% gross margin is close to $100k, not $70k. If we really want to use the slash half approach to get the gross margin, then the ASP of Model 3 would be $50k in order to achieve the 12% margin.
Yes. It is that optimism, that is continually doubted by well reasoned, wizened, well-meaning Naysayers the world over, that has thus far proven to be CORRECT where it matters. The Model S sold over THREE YEARS WORTH OF CARS in 2015 alone! Everyone thought he would have been lucky to sell half as many units as the disappointingly ignored Mercedes-Benz CLS. I like optimism. It allows a lot more to be done than pessimism ever will. It is because I pay attention to 'the history of Tesla' that I know... Elon Musk said he expected a 12% to 15% margin in THE VERY SAME CONVERSATION where he stated the $35,000 price point! So, yeah... I kinda think it is very likely he was talking about their initial expected profit margin, not some possibly hoped for late future happenstance of good fortune.

Also I'm not arguing the cost of batteries. Tesla has it under control, massively. And if no other players are doing the stuff Tesla is doing (GF), their comparative advantage in cost for batteries will only get larger and larger. My point, again, is for the early basic Model 3 it would be very hard for them to achieve decent gross margin and Elon's statement does not by default would turn out to be true and he's talking about Model 3 in general, not the basic $35k ones.
And my point disagrees with this by leagues. The very act of DECIDING to build a car in mass market quantities means from the outset that you can count on economies of scale to reduce price points. The very act of BUILDING a Gigafactory removes the single biggest impediment to doing so with an electric car. If Tesla Motors were thinking of building 3,000 cars over the course of three years, as Toyota is doing with the Mirai, then yes, their costs absolutely would NOT go DOWN.

Originally, the 30% would be coming from the fully operational GF, which won't be complete until 2020. However, I would imagine if they started to be able to make cells by the end of this year, the entire process would be vertically integrated so the costs from all the middle men would be eliminated. The rest is just scaling up for more output. In 2017 I'm not sure they can reach the 30% because after all the GF hasn't reached its maximum yet. But something like 15-20% wouldn't be unthinkable.
Once again, it appears you either are unaware, or you are accusing Elon Musk of being a liar again. He has said for at least two years that initial, immediate benefit of the Gigafactory would be at least a 30% improvement in cost. It is NOT necessary for the Gigafactory to reach 100% output. Just building the batteries there alone will achieve the 30% minimum reduction in Tesla Motors' internal cost.

Of course they have to invest - that is why it is silly and naive and denying reality to get all frothy with the statements like "well, they are profitable if they didn't have to invest". That is like saying "the US would have a balanced budget if they didn't have to spend money on the military".
It would be more accurate to say the US would have a balanced budget if we didn't go into hock with international banks every year just to pay blood money to the armament industry to the tune of multiple trillions to keep them from giving the 'good' weapons to our enemies at a steep discount -- because it has nothing to do with the military at all.

Sorry that you don't like the term "stagrnant", but any company that has trouble growing because investing for the future is not working out fast enough would have that label.
Oh? Have you taken a look at annual sales for Rolls-Royce recently? How would you term their status?

motor, less material doesn't mean less cost. I'm not familiar with the Honda 600cc motorcycle engine but a quick Google search returned numbers about $500. Personally I think the motors used by Model 3 may be more expensive but maybe not too much. So, let's go with the $500 here.
You can't draw any conclusions about motor costs comparing an ICE with an electric motor. An ICE is massively more complex. OTOH the materials for an electric motor might be more expensive.
$130 KW/H - I know Tesla said that they're under $190 but that's a 30% improvement over the $190 number. Seems like Tesla would have said we're under $150 or something similar if they were really at $130. Will they get there eventually, sure but I'd be surprised if they got to that rate in the first year or two.
Based on their statements they will definitely be there by the end of 2017. Your being surprised isn't relevant.
Once again, it appears you either are unaware, or you are accusing Elon Musk of being a liar again. He hassaid for at least two years that initial, immediate benefit of the Gigafactory would be at least a 30% improvement in cost. It is NOT necessary for the Gigafactory to reach 100% output. Just building the batteries there alone will achieve the 30% minimum reduction in Tesla Motors' internal cost.
Plus a "moderate, not small not large" improvement due to cell chemistry.
I'm saying this not to squabble over the various percents but to point out that I think Elon is hoping to get to that 12-15% profit margin EVENTUALLY once the model 3 is in full production, not right out of the gate on the first few thousand.
Except that contradicts his own statements. He has stated,explicitly that believes that Tesla will eventually make a 25% profit across the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
OTOH the materials for an electric motor might be more expensive.

Because tesla uses direct drive you should add the 1 speed gearbox and you'd have to add the transmission costs to the cost of the ICE itself. (so costs of the entire drivetrain between the two systems)

The electric motor consists on copper, aluminum, and steel. I'm 100% positive the copper is not hand wound on these particular electric motors either. The highest cost is probably the copper itself (per lb). It depends how much copper these motors contain.

As far as actual manufacturing costs, because the ICE and transmission are far more complex there are more steps, more parts, and more machinery involved. If I was a betting man I'd bet that manufacturing any ICE is more expensive than the equivalently powered electric motor (AC brushless).

All bets are off if you started using permanent magnets.

Because tesla uses direct drive you should add the 1 speed gearbox and you'd have to add the transmission costs to the cost of the ICE itself. (so costs of the entire drivetrain between the two systems)

The electric motor consists on copper, aluminum, and steel. I'm 100% positive the copper is not hand wound on these particular electric motors either. The highest cost is probably the copper itself (per lb). It depends how much copper these motors contain.

As far as actual manufacturing costs, because the ICE and transmission are far more complex there are more steps, more parts, and more machinery involved. If I was a betting man I'd bet that manufacturing any ICE is more expensive than the equivalently powered electric motor (AC brushless).

All bets are off if you started using permanent magnets.

Except there are millions of ICEs built every year and only thousands of electric drive trains built in the same time frame. The economies of scale really help in those numbers.

If your really trying to compare you also need to include the battery price in the electric drivetrain costs, too.

Reactions: JeffK
If you're really trying to compare you also need to include the battery price in the electric drivetrain costs, too.

Very true, the thing about the battery though is to compare accurately you'd have to dip into the cost of ICE ownership/maintenance/higher cost of gas vs electricity over time. This can start to vary wildly depending on a number of factors including region, taxes, etc.

I wonder if someone has run the numbers for a total cost of ownership on both an ICE and a future Tesla Model 3 in the same price range.

As far as cost to manufacture, ICE cars are manufactured at nowhere near the price people actually pay at the majority of dealers. Makes me sick how much greed is involved.

I also like to quote Bob Lutz. Probably the most telling statement he ever made is this one:
"How come some guys in California who know nothing about building cars can do this and we can't?"
Excellent question, Bob. I wonder if he ever got an answer?
Robin

I also like to quote Bob Lutz. Probably the most telling statement he ever made is this one:
"How come some guys in California who know nothing about building cars can do this and we can't?"
Excellent question, Bob. I wonder if he ever got an answer?
Robin
The answer is pretty obvious... They don't have a whole boardroom full of folks telling them that it can't be done, why it shouldn't be tried, and when they'll be fired if they do.

Reactions: SageBrush