Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who told you that you'd be getting a free fob? Tesla have never said this. This was stated in an ElecTrek blog post and like many things was attributed to nameless "Tesla contacts" that the guy running that website seems to call upon all the time even when 1/2 the time the information turns out to be wrong.
Please provide a link to the Electrek story you are referring to, because I think you are incorrect.

I searched Electrek for all their stories about the Model 3 fob. See https://electrek.co/?s=Model+3+key+fob

I cannot find anything on Electrek saying that Tesla would be giving free key fobs to Model 3 owners.

If the card doesnt open passenger door thats really dumb and had no idea that was the case.
Just to be totally clear... the keycard can only be detected by placing it up against the driver's side B-pillar. There is no electronics/sensor on the passenger side to read the card. The keycard WILL unlock all of the doors but only when presented on the driver's side. Therefore, if you wanted to open either passenger-side door of your locked 3, and you don't/won't/can't rely on your smartphone, you have to go to the driver's side first to unlock the car.

A fob, either with or without passive unlocking, would be better in this situation then the keycard. I've only been using my phone-as-key for about three weeks, despite having the car since July. A rough guess of my success rate for the phone unlocking the 3 when I walk up to it is about 95%. Several times I had to use the keycard to unlock (if I'm really impatient), cycle airplane mode or wait about 10 seconds before the car detects my phone, all the while I'm pushing on the door handle and screen says to use the keycard. The phone is either in my shirt pocket or clipped to my belt on my right hip. For me my phone is not 100% and I was looking forward to replacing all of my keycards (now 4 of them) with fobs. But at $150 a shot, that's not going to happen.

Even though my phone has been just about 100% reliable I can see the advantage of coming out of a store for example with stuff in your hands. Easier to unlock the car / trunk etc with a fob.

If you give someone the fob and they don’t have the key card, I assume they can unlock the door and then drive away? Meaning, the fob unlocks, but then (of course) also lets you drive correct? You don’t also need the card or the phone to drive. (I assume that’s right)

If you give someone the fob and they don’t have the key card, I assume they can unlock the door and then drive away? Meaning, the fob unlocks, but then (of course) also lets you drive correct? You don’t also need the card or the phone to drive. (I assume that’s right)

Yes, fob lets you drive. From reading the manual, it works like the S w/ passive entry turned off.

Unlock the doors with the fob. Start the car within 2-3 minutes. If you wait longer, then you need to press the unlock button on the fob again. Or, in this case optionally put the fob on the center console.

If you put the car in park, open the door, get out, get back in, you need to click again (or place on center console) for the car to know it's you again.

It was insidevs.
Yes it was. And that story — based on an unnamed source — has now been shown to be inaccurate.

@voip-ninja, Electrek never claimed that Tesla was going to give free fobs to Model 3 owners.

After following Tesla for many years now, I remain amazed at how rumors and unsubstantiated assertions are quickly accepted by some people as fact and then endlessly repeated.

Yes it was. And that story — based on an unnamed source — has now been shown to be inaccurate.

@voip-ninja, Electrek never claimed that Tesla was going to give free fobs to Model 3 owners.

After following Tesla for many years now, I remain amazed at how rumors and unsubstantiated assertions are quickly accepted by some people as fact and then endlessly repeated.
Remember all the craziness over the HUD that never came?

Reactions: kavyboy
I use the phone all the time. It works to open the car all the time but sometimes I have to touch the door handle to wake up the phone and car connection. No big deal.
The new fob is great so I can keep my card in my wallet for emergency if I ever need it and I can now give the fob to the valet or my kids. Makes it more convenient.
Glad I ordered it already since it is in back order already.

I use the phone all the time. It works to open the car all the time but sometimes I have to touch the door handle to wake up the phone and car connection. No big deal.
The new fob is great so I can keep my card in my wallet for emergency if I ever need it and I can now give the fob to the valet or my kids. Makes it more convenient.
Glad I ordered it already since it is in back order already.

you know you could have just ordered another card for $5 to give to valet or kids rather than spending $150 for a fob, right?

Attachments

• 3 white interior.jpg
    3 white interior.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: kavyboy
Calm down, folks. Tesla has already stated that they would provide a key fob free of charge to current owners:
Tesla Model 3 Key Fob Free To Current Owners, Included For New
That article does not say that.
Huh?
Tesla has confirmed that the key fob will be included with future Model 3 purchases (no exact timeline was provided, aside from “when available“). But the bigger bit of news is that existing Model 3 owners will be able to get the key fob for free upon request. This means that current owners who’ve yearned for a fob will be able to receive one at no cost. Again, no specific timeline has been provided to us in regards to availability, so we suggest you reach out to your Tesla contacts to obtain more details.

Reactions: apacheguy