Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is Officially Model Ξ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why for heaven sake Tesla cannot name Models like every one else with an actual name? Instead of all the cryptic single letters?

A Corvette and Panamera sounds so much better to say than 'S' and 'X' and the stupid three horizontal lines

Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of the BMW i3, the 3-series, the ix, the iq, the sb, the i8, the mazda 2 and 3... list goes on! :D

A name for a car doesnt really tell you anything, whereas numbers/letters actually could. BMW 3 series v 5 serious for example, you know what you are getting. A hyundai tucson or a Toyota Camry... who knows?

A Hyundai Tucson was built to operate optimally in Tucson, Arizona. The Toyota Camry has a dual overhead cam, making it very cammy, or in some circles, "camry." A Hyundai Sorento [sic] has the ability to turn fresh lemons into limoncello. A Honda Fit will fit into a tiny, tiny parking space. And a Subaru Outback was actually found in the wild in the Australian Outback - every model sold is a grafted copy of the original.

So you see, these names are very descriptive.

Why for heaven sake Tesla cannot name Models like every one else with an actual name? Instead of all the cryptic single letters?

A Corvette and Panamera sounds so much better to say than 'S' and 'X' and the stupid three horizontal lines

I read somewhere that not using model names is done very deliberately by car manufacturers. If you own a Hyundai Santa Fe or a Chevy Volt, you tend to refer to the car by its model name "My Santa Fe, or my Volt". But, if you own a Lexus IS250 or a Audi S4, you tend to refer to the car by its manufacturer name, "My Lexus, or my Audi", or "my Tesla". It builds loyalty to the brand, not the particular car model.

I think that's why Hyundai tried it with their earlier upscale cars, those letter and number jumbles that involved an X. But it only works if you do it across the whole lineup.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that not using model names is done very deliberately by car manufacturers. If you own a Hyundai Santa Fe or a Chevy Volt, you tend to refer to the car by its model name "My Santa Fe, or my Volt". But, if you own a Lexus IS250 or a Audi S4, you tend to refer to the car by its manufacturer name, "My Lexus, or my Audi", or "my Tesla". It builds loyalty to the brand, not the particular car model.

Okay now I get it. Make the model name some silly, vague combination of letters, so people will be forced to say brand name. I think Tesla takes it to another level and named the '3rd generation mass market car' to an unpronounceable ascii character that is not even in the keyboard.

Looks like Porsche didn't get that memo.

Well, what would stop people then from filling out Tesla Model ≡ ? :D

The fa
Okay now I get it. Make the model name some silly, vague combination of letters, so people will be forced to say brand name. I think Tesla takes it to another level and named the '3rd generation mass market car' to an unpronounceable ascii character that is not even in the keyboard.

Looks like Porsche didn't get that memo.

No, it's the Model 3. The Model 3. It might use a stylized logo, but it should always be written and pronounced Model 3. That's the way Elon has always written it, so that's good enough for me.

Edit: I notice that this whole thread is started because the invitation showed the stylized logo. However, I notice it doesn't use the word Model. My question is whether the text of the invitation used a normal 3 when referring to the Model 3. I bet it did.

Last edited:
A Hyundai Tucson was built to operate optimally in Tucson, Arizona. The Toyota Camry has a dual overhead cam, making it very cammy, or in some circles, "camry." A Hyundai Sorento [sic] has the ability to turn fresh lemons into limoncello. A Honda Fit will fit into a tiny, tiny parking space. And a Subaru Outback was actually found in the wild in the Australian Outback - every model sold is a grafted copy of the original.

So you see, these names are very descriptive.
And, por los latinoamericanos of course, the Chevy Nova......

I think that's why Hyundai tried it with their earlier upscale cars, those letter and number jumbles that involved an X. But it only works if you do it across the whole lineup.

As I recall, what happened was that Acura had a few cars such as the Integra an Legend and buyers eventually started just calling their cars by their model name and the manufacturer name was never mentioned. In an effort by marketing to elevate the brand name, Acura dropped the easily pronounceable names and went with TLS, MDX, RSX etc.. so that you'd be forced to say "Acura MDX" etc... It's pretty much the norm now with all luxury makes. Most people say " I have a Tesla Model S" or "Tesla Model X"

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
I am not sure anyone is going to confused on who the manufacturer is for Accord or Camry or Corvette or Hellcat or Viper. There is a nice ring to those names and rolls of the tongue nicely instead of NSX. The naming scheme of some of these luxury players like Axura and Mercedes reminds of how the stars and planets are named, eg: PSR B1257+12 A

Another silly thing is the word 'Model' infront of the 'S'. Tesla has a model <named> Model S.

Last edited by a moderator: