Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does help? In the front, the wear will be on the outside of the tire no matter which side its on.
That’s true whether or not the tires are staggered. The point of rotation is to even out the minor differences side to side from tolerances etc. Not to completely level out camber wear.

I don’t think there’s a single high performance tire in existence currently that isn’t asymmetric or directional.

• Informative
Reactions: FreqFlyer
It’s not the tires (but they are summer tires that probably won’t last awhile), it’s the staggered rim size setup. The front tires may get 40k but def not the rears. The rear tires will be shot long before the fronts bc you can’t rotate them (except side to side) and all the power and torque comes from the rear. You will go through 2 sets of rears for every 1 set of fronts likely.

I plan on getting a square 19” setup with all season tires.
I was going to get 19" winters but I think I may be in 19" all season camp now. I've been spooked by reading complaints about potholes damaging their 20" tires and/or wheels.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
That’s true whether or not the tires are staggered. The point of rotation is to even out the minor differences side to side from tolerances etc. Not to completely level out camber wear.

I don’t think there’s a single high performance tire in existence currently that isn’t asymmetric or directional.
The manual that came with my C7 Grand Sport recommended rotating tires side to side.
Those were 285f/335r high performance Michelins that are marked “OUTSIDE” on the outer sidewall so you’d think they’re directional, but despite quite a bit of arguing on Internet forums, I didn’t see a single case of rotating them causing an issue while I was paying attention to the corvette forum discussions centered around tires.

The manual that came with my C7 Grand Sport recommended rotating tires side to side.
Those were 285f/335r high performance Michelins that are marked “OUTSIDE” on the outer sidewall so you’d think they’re directional, but despite quite a bit of arguing on Internet forums, I didn’t see a single case of rotating them causing an issue while I was paying attention to the corvette forum discussions centered around tires

Those are asymmetric. Directional tires would have an arrow pointing in the direction of rotation. Those you can’t swap side to side without unmounting the tire itself

And the only way to rotate the tire is to take the tire off the rim, turn it around, and reinstall thus adding more scratches to the rim..........Alrighty then. That answers my questions.
They aren’t directional tires, so you don’t need to dismount the tire. Just move the entire wheel side to side on the car. But yes minimal benefit anyways bc you can’t swap front to back.

I was going to get 19" winters but I think I may be in 19" all season camp now. I've been spooked by reading complaints about potholes damaging their 20" tires and/or wheels.
I bent a rim on my current 19” with all seasons on a pothole. Granted this was more like a sinkhole than a pothole and I didn’t see it, but still lol. So yeah 20” are a hard no for me. 19” look better aesthetically than 18” also.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I bent a rim on my current 19” with all seasons on a pothole. Granted this was more like a sinkhole than a pothole and I didn’t see it, but still lol. So yeah 20” are a hard no for me. 19” look better aesthetically than 18” also.

I bent my 18 inch wheel over a pothole so if the pothole is bad enough, nothing can be done. i had multiple pinched tires on my 20s that required fixing and the 18s are definitely way more resilient to that. Agree that 19s do look better than the 18s though.

Those are asymmetric. Directional tires would have an arrow pointing in the direction of rotation. Those you can’t swap side to side without unmounting the tire itself
That checks out.

Another component of this kind of discussion that I haven't seen mentioned here (but did see over on the corvette forum back then) is this old conventional wisdom saying any tire becomes directional after it's been run long enough in one direction. That didn't seem to matter in my case. I (and quite a few others) would rotate the tires side to side and find them to be quieter after rotation. I mean, they were still loud AF compared to other vehicles due to the sheer size and lack of noise insulation in that case, but I found it interesting. When I discussed this with the guys at the tire shop I was using for my corvette, they all seemed to think the opposite should have been true. (noisier after rotation)

Regarding the EU variant, I really doubt 460hp with the improved rear engine is faster than my 530hp Panasonic M3P (which is proven way faster than the LG one although quoted same hp)
Max HP is meaningless with the old Model 3 cars. They only maintained max HP right at 55 mph. It was only available for a fraction of a second. With the new car it might hold max power from 39 mph to over 92 mph. That makes all the difference.

I would much rather have 450 Hp from 39-92 mph and +16% max rear torque than 535 HP at 55 mph and only 300 HP by 90 mph.

"Might" hold...only daydreaming at this point. This world wonder highland version has not failed to disappoint until now, not expecting anything more than meh at this point.

Thats your opinion, but it certainly seems to be in the vast minority, at least at this point. I am a vast believer that no product, including a vehicle, is right for everyone, so its not like I am saying "your wrong" (because im not). I am just saying that this particular opinion appears to be in a pretty large minority, and that repeating it different times doesnt change anyone elses opinion.

241 pages arguing about the 0-60 ... This is crazy...
I was going to say the same thing. After watching some reviews (including Camissa's), it's pretty clear that this car is a huge step forward from the previous performance model. IDGAF about "only" .2 seconds off the 0-60 time with the massive upgrades in other areas including top end power, handling, ride quality, braking, aero/downforce, refinement and seats. The price is just the cherry on top. I usually keep my cars for a long time, but my 2020 M3P (even though I love it) will likely not make it another year before I upgrade to one of these.

I was going to say the same thing. After watching some reviews (including Camissa's), it's pretty clear that this car is a huge step forward from the previous performance model. IDGAF about "only" .2 seconds off the 0-60 time with the massive upgrades in other areas including top end power, handling, ride quality, braking, aero/downforce, refinement and seats. The price is just the cherry on top. I usually keep my cars for a long time, but my 2020 M3P (even though I love it) will likely not make it another year before I upgrade to one of these.
I'm like you, I usually keep my cars long, and also prefer to buy pre-owned. But the adaptive suspension, bolstered seats, and bespoke chassis and the fact that it was eligible for the tax credit is what sold me; everything else was a cherry on top.

Last edited:
I'm like you, I usually keep my cars long, and also prefer to buy pre-owned. But the adaptive suspension, bolstered seats, and bespoke chassis and the fact that it was eligible for the tax credit is what sold me; everything else was a cherry on top.
Same here. Plus the suspension is allegedly 1000x better even without the adaptive suspension. I hate the suspension so much on my 21 LR.

Reactions: P-Lo801
Same here. Plus the suspension is allegedly 1000x better even without the adaptive suspension. I hate the suspension so much on my 21 LR.

I've driven a 2024 Long Range and I can confirm that the suspension is improved overall, but in that trim it's a little too soft for my taste. I also disliked the stock suspension on my 2020 performance. It was too stiff at low speeds for how floaty it was at highway speeds. I upgraded to Mountain Pass Performance Sports coilovers 3 months after buying my car and it was transformed. They've been rock solid for almost 50K miles now.