Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven a 2024 Long Range and I can confirm that the suspension is improved overall, but in that trim it's a little too soft for my taste. I also disliked the stock suspension on my 2020 performance. It was too stiff at low speeds for how floaty it was at highway speeds. I upgraded to Mountain Pass Performance Sports coilovers 3 months after buying my car and it was transformed. They've been rock solid for almost 50K miles now.
So it sounds like the 2024 P will be perfect then! With the adaptive suspension I imagine one can tune it to his/her liking also. I am ok with stiff suspension. But there is a very clear difference between stiff and harsh. The old Tesla suspension is HARSH.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
So it sounds like the 2024 P will be perfect then! With the adaptive suspension I imagine one can tune it to his/her liking also. I am ok with stiff suspension. But there is a very clear difference between stiff and harsh. The old Tesla suspension is HARSH.
bond.png

My KW V3s ride better than stock with no bottoming out at high speeds. The stock dampers are truly scary in bumpy corners.

Sweet Table.

Tesla's Marketing Team seemed like they just got a dartboard out and picked a random power output for the US and took some off for ROW. Even a reviewer said "Tesla say it's 380kw but it feels like far more"

Given someone has already got a 3.2sec to 100kph without rollout with 51% soc in a Chinese review there is zero % chance the ROW cars are actually making 460 peak HP. But we knew that already.

The "real" power is the 415kw/437kw, and how long it can hold the peak or close too it that will dictate the full pace. Early accounts seem positive, maybe even enough for high 10's in the 1/4. Insane for the money.

Sweet Table.

Tesla's Marketing Team seemed like they just got a dartboard out and picked a random power output for the US and took some off for ROW. Even a reviewer said "Tesla say it's 380kw but it feels like far more"

Given someone has already got a 3.2sec to 100kph without rollout with 51% soc in a Chinese review there is zero % chance the ROW cars are actually making 460 peak HP. But we knew that already.

The "real" power is the 415kw/437kw, and how long it can hold the peak or close too it that will dictate the full pace. Early accounts seem positive, maybe even enough for high 10's in the 1/4. Insane for the money.
Peak power has little to no influence on 1/4 and 0-60. It was explained ad nauseam in this thread.

This is what I am interested in. Can this new car hit 461 KW in combined real time output from Canbus? That would be very significant. The old car maxed out at 437 KW.

On paper the new car looks absolutely amazing. Someone really needs to stick a Dragy on this car and show us the numbers.

I am going to keep my old car long enough to test them side by side at the track and then I will sell the old one.

IMG_5040.jpeg

Can this new car hit 461 KW in combined real time output from Canbus?
No, because the maximum power of each motor is at different speeds. The addition of these two motors is made countless times and countless times it is pointless. Also we've seen that even if it was possible, that the battery can not saturate both motors at the same time.

I agree. I should have said harsh, not stiff. It was definitely stiff, but it was too harsh for how floaty it was at higher speeds.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I was more commenting on the silliness of the hp numbers Tesla market, they just seem random and far lower than what it's really capable of.
Do we not think that Tesla have put the '24 M3P on a hub dyno and measured the mechanical horsepower with real-world SoC and cell temperature? e.g. 70% and 30C for 500hp.

Last edited:
No, because the maximum power of each motor is at different speeds. The addition of these two motors is made countless times and countless times it is pointless. Also we've seen that even if it was possible, that the battery can not saturate both motors at the same time.
But your own chart says 200 KW front motor max and 267 KW rear motor max for the current car. I understand that they won't be maxed simultaneously but they don't need to both be maxed to hit 461 KW in the new car. We know that the front motor is going to artificially dip to allow the rear motor to achieve a much higher maximum power.

At the very least the new rear motor should be able to generate 300 KW in the car. They state that the rear motor is capable of 32% more peak power but that would be about 355 KW which it probably won't do in the car. Still 300 KW from the rear and only 161 KW from the front gets you to 461 KW combined real-time.

In the current car at 68 mph(new rear motor peak power speed) the front motor is doing 181 KW. That is well above what it would need to hit 461 KW combined. If the battery is allowed to output 461 KW then I believe at 68 mph it will in fact be doing the full 461 KW or very close to it with a US car.

Reactions: Lolo780
Do we not think that Tesla have put the '24 M3P on a hub dyno and measured the mechanical horsepower with real-world SoC and cell temperature? e.g. 70% and 30C for 500hp.
The old car has hit 525+ HP on a dyno. This new one should show more than that. I think the 510 HP number is an average HP or something to that affect. It is just simply too low to be meaningful.

At the very least the new rear motor should be able to generate 300 KW in the car.
I doubt that it will go that high. In China they are already claiming a peak of 265kW at the rear with a pack that is "only" down 20kW to the Panasonic.
They state that the rear motor is capable of 32% more peak power but that would be about 355 KW which it probably won't do in the car.
That is apparently based of the old claim of 202kW for the 3D1, which puts it at 267kW, similar to the Chinese claim.

We can all repeat ourselves over and over. My money is on 430-437kW max from the Panasonic in the US, just as the old car or even a little lower at 430kW, as I've seen the Hairpin motors showing a little less power draw compared to the old wire 3D1's.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I doubt that it will go that high. In China they are already claiming a peak of 265kW at the rear with a pack that is "only" down 20kW to the Panasonic.

That is apparently based of the old claim of 202kW for the 3D1, which puts it at 267kW, similar to the Chinese claim.

We can all repeat ourselves over and over. My money is on 430-437kW max from the Panasonic in the US, just as the old car or even a little lower at 430kW, as I've seen the Hairpin motors showing a little less power draw compared to the old wire 3D1's.
I have seen 266 KW from the rear motor in the old car. It will be significantly higher than that in the new car. I can't wait to see the Canbus data from the new car. That will tell us everything. I have tons of data with my old car so it will be easy to compare them.