Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mildly off topic:

so i went to check out a self curated demo drive on a model 3 refresh, not a performance but I thought I might as well see what the fuss is about. Demo was easy enough of course already having the app and what not. However, I knew I was going to have to deal with the lack of stalks which was one of the main things I wanted to test out but now I find out they've also taken away the "roll" drive mode which was really the ONLY EV drive mode before one pedal driving was a thing on a Tesla. It really is like they a purposefully trying to alienate existing Tesla customers for no reason. I think I'll bow out of the upgrade and just keep my 2018 perf with stalks and roll drive mode :) Unfortunate.

Reactions: Hank42
This is a fair point. I forgot about the significance of aero dynamics for this car.

Yeah it's all speculative at this point since we don't know the suspension geometry and alignment specs for the new one yet. I just couldn't help but notice that the legacy M3P was equipped with square 20x9 et34. And now the new one is equipped with the same wheel specs for the front, only this time the rear is wider by an inch, yet it still lines up evenly with the outer edge of the front.

I'm hoping we can launch a more technical discussion of the new wheel specs and its (potential) effects on driving dynamics in the driving dynamics forum for this car; mainly because i'm a novice. Personally, I want to get aftermarket 18s or 19s on the car eventually and push the rear wheel out to be more flush with the wheel well (see photo below), because I love that flush look. But I don't know if i'd want to mess with it too much if it came at the expense of the engineering intended for the driving dynamics. So ideally, I would get 19x9 et34 in the front, and 19x10 et34 in the rear. But i'm concerned how much impact, if any, pushing the rear out by 11mm would affect the driving dynamics intended for the car.

I took this photo of the rear when I checked out the new m3p yesterday:

View attachment 1042601
Is it just me or does that wheel tire not really look like a 275

Sure... but not "60-130MPH" at regular intervals. "60-90mph"... Sure. "0-90"? sure. Are you saying that where you are, people are regularly accelerating past 100 MPH on a regular basis?
I’d say it’s a fairly common occurrence. Sustained speeds will be more like 90-100. But bursts above that? Yeah it happens. it’s actually easier to get away with in a very fast car since the actual time spent to get to said speed is quite small.

Absolutely there are plenty of people who do that on a regular basis. I see it all the time.

I dont (see people accelerating past 100MPH on a regular basis on freeways or streets) and my location is very similar to yours. I work in North county San Diego, so travel the 15 regularly which has a speed limit of 70MPH but an actual driving speed of around 80 MPH. I still dont see people blasting off, definitely not on a regular basis.

In any case, I guess the consensus is plenty of people are driving 100+MPH on a regular basis, on regular streets / freeways. That surprises me, mostly because it would be considered excessive speed.

Shrug, enough sidebar from me.

Last edited:
I dont (see people accelerating past 100MPH on a regular basis on freeways or streets) and my location is very similar to yours. I work in North county San Diego, so travel the 15 regularly which has a speed limit of 70MPH but an actual driving speed of around 80 MPH. I still dont see people blasting off, definitely not on a regular basis.
Let's just say I never see it happen during the daytime when these individuals would be putting "normies" in danger with their antics, and I live much closer to Mexico.

I have ordered two Tesla M3's since 2019 at a total cost of about $21,000 for FSD.

A couple days ago, I ordered the new 2024 M3P. My FSD will not transfer over to the new 2024 M3 that's coming and I don't want add $8,000 to the FSD amount already spent over 4 1/2 years. So, I going to subscribe this time at a cost of $99 a month.

Here is my fear...
What are the odds: I do not buy FSD at the reduced price of $8,000 and go with the lowered subscription fee of $99 only to have it go back to $299.00 in a short period and the cost of FSD increases back to $12,000?

The above sounds very Tesla to me (look how they raised the base price $1000 after a couple days).

Or suck it up and purchase FSD at $8,000 which will cancel my stress over when/which will increase?

I'm in my 80's and hope to have a long happy life driving an M3P.

I have ordered two Tesla M3's since 2019 at a total cost of about $21,000 for FSD.

A couple days ago, I ordered the new 2024 M3P. My FSD will not transfer over to the new 2024 M3 that's coming and I don't want add $8,000 to the FSD amount already spent over 4 1/2 years. So, I going to subscribe this time at a cost of $99 a month.

Here is my fear...
What are the odds: I do not buy FSD at the reduced price of $8,000 and go with the lowered subscription fee of $99 only to have it go back to $299.00 in a short period and the cost of FSD increases back to $12,000?

The above sounds very Tesla to me (look how they raised the base price $1000 after a couple days).

Or suck it up and purchase FSD at $8,000 which will cancel my stress over when/which will increase?

Subscribe. I dig that fact that you have a need for speed in your 80s. 🍻

Reactions: White_Walker

Here is my fear...

I guess it's just money right? You can't bring your money with you to the afterlife so might as well use it on what you love.

Reactions: msb175

Here is my fear...

Definitely do not sweat it. I’m a nobody, but I can almost guarantee you that the subscription fee for FSD will NEVER go back up to $299/month. Those days are gone and never coming back. $299/month was a tough sell and Tesla finally realizes it. It’s going to stay at $99/month for quite a while I think…

That sucks paying so much for FSD, helping fund their R&D, and not be able to benefit from FSD. They should really link this to one's account and not a vehicle. How many have paid into this and received minimal in return. Hard to digest.
It was overpriced at $5000 when I bought it on my original/current vehicle. Crazy to think folks were paying $15,000 for it not too long ago. Of course, I did not buy FSD on my new/recent M3P order. Agree with you that Tesla should at least allow a 1-time free transfer (that can be used at any time) for anyone who purchased FSD.

Reactions: superflyrolla