Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For most, their Tesla is fast enough. For the few, nothing will be fast enough.

Even more important to most drivers, is not the absolute acceleration, but the instant throttle response that allows them precision calibration of torque in everyday driving.
Fast enough is exactly what I tell people this car is. I just wish it didn’t feel so much faster at lower speeds than it really is. I’d give up some low end to get better top end for the same reason that I prefer a stock E92 M3 to a highly modified and faster 335i or a newer M3. It just feels better to drive for fun.
What if they improve the launch and extract the extra 20-40 HP out of the current battery but they don't improve top end acceleration significantly over what is possible with a lightweight Model 3 now? What if it does 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds but does the 1/4 mile in 11.1 seconds. Would that be worth trading your current car for?
I’d be looking at other reasons if I’m trading. I want better top end but that’s not everything.

Better comfort, better feedback, an accelerator map between Chill and Sport would be a damn nice thing to have for me, but that doesn’t require a new car. If it’s not better on the top end, I am probably not trading my 2021.

Knowing what I know now, after living with a 3P for 3 years, I’d probably be happy with a LR and going aftermarket to replace bushings with spherical bearings. My current car has MPP comfort non-adjustable and it’s pretty damn close to what I want as far as ride quality, I just need a bit more feedback and a more compelling power curve to be less interested in buying another expensive ICE car for fun.

I don’t think the older cars were quicker than the Plaids in any metric. They were plenty quick but I couldn’t find any indication that they were quicker than a Plaid.

View attachment 1025172View attachment 1025173
That's a good point. Are you comparing to a 2019 P100DL or a 2019 Performance Raven? It looks like the Raven had increased torque over the P100DL., based on Tesla's graph. But, it is damn close up to 37 mph. The extra torque might have been cancelled out by the 163 lbs of increased weight in the older car.

3AM roll racing is utterly useless except as a d*ck-waving contest.

The Model 3 Performance is quick where it needs to be - below 100 mph, where every single one of them spends 99% of its time.
It's good to be able to identify the people who think their opinions are the only ones that matter. Thanks for your input.

Certainly will. Be sure to keep your car in Chill mode when you're not joining us in Mexico, after all, nobody needs to accelerate quickly on American streets where these cars spend 90% of their time.

If you'd like to dispute my assertion that your car and everyone else's in the US spends 99% of its time below 100 mph, you're gonna need documentation. Good luck with that.

Oh and I hope you win both the intarwebs and the d*ck-waving contest!

IMG_1759.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
If you'd like to dispute my assertion that your car and everyone else's in the US spends 99% of its time below 100 mph, you're gonna need documentation. Good luck with that.

I find it fascinating when people who have been called out on their hypocrisy resort to accusing someone on the internet of doing the exact thing they're trying to do.
Nothing I posted here was intended to document some falsehood in your assertion. I intended to point out that your statement was patently ridiculous and added nothing of value to the discussion we were having about whether these cars FEEL fast above 100mph, without having to spell that out. Apparently I failed. Oh well.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
I find it fascinating when people who have been called out on their hypocrisy resort to accusing someone on the internet of doing the exact thing they're trying to do.
Nothing I posted here was intended to document some falsehood in your assertion. I intended to point out that your statement was patently ridiculous and added nothing of value to the discussion we were having about whether these cars FEEL fast above 100mph, without having to spell that out. Apparently I failed. Oh well.

Because ONLY your opinion and those of others of your 3AM roll-racing brethren matters, right? That's why my statement is "patently ridiculous"??

You did indeed fail - at seeing the forest for the trees.

This is a dumb argument. Why buy any car over 400hp, heck 300hp, if you spend 99% of the time below 100mph. You should tell all those car manufacturers that sell 400,500,600 + hp cars they will never have a single sale..... oh wait...

Down in Florida there's highways everywhere and long stretches of road elsewhere. Same with many other parts of the country. And we drive on those roads at all times of the day, not just 3am. And sometimes we like to line up and go against a random car. This is where a Model 3 P falls apart, and struggles against a crappy Mustang GT for example. Let alone a true 500/600 hp car that just leaves a M3P in the dust.

Because ONLY your opinion and those of others of your 3AM roll-racing brethren matters, right? That's why my statement is "patently ridiculous"??

You did indeed fail - at seeing the forest for the trees.
I don't believe I made any sort of blanket statements like you did, I started in this thread responding to the question of why people feel like these cars fall on their face at 45 mph. The fact that they do is just a fact, it has nothing to do with opinions.

The M3P is objectively fast at <highway speed. The acceleration you feel is also undeniable.

It accelerates less-hard highway+ speeds. Equivalent to something like an m340i. But it also feels less impressive than them because it lacks the change of accel during the gear shift and the screaming sound of an engine. (Psychoacoustics matter)

I have occasional access to the autobahn. but between better performance at low speed regime vs high speed regime…ill take the low speed any day.