Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 design options - incl Station wagon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thread started in 2014.
Yes, I know. But it seems to have been resurrected in order to revisit earlier Model 3 concepts that favored hatchback and station wagon designs. I know that some people are disappointed that the Model 3 is not such a vehicle. My point is that the Model 3 is already designed and revealed, so suggestions for Tesla vehicles with more utility or different layout (be it a Model 3 variant or future Model Y) may receive a better hearing in the Future Vehicles subforum.

(Sorry for the multiple edits. Should really wear my glasses when typing!)

Last edited:
The horse has already left the barn as far as the Model 3 design is concerned and it's not a hatchback or wagon.

I think that the Model ≡ would get a larger market if sold as hatchback in some area like in Europe.

This would not be a big modification, not like designing a new car like the Model Y.

The model Y might, who know, also get falcon wings too. So it might be in a different market price.
A little bit like the BMW 3 versus the BMW X3.

I think that the Model ≡ would get a larger market if sold as hatchback in some area like in Europe.

This would not be a big modification, not like designing a new car like the Model Y.
That may very well be true, but that's not the Model 3 that was just revealed and scheduled for production and delivery in late 2017 or early 2018. Tesla is not going to make a major design change like that now and have any hope of meeting their target date on this most important ("bet the company") product in their history so far. Some may feel the company is making a big mistake by opting for a sedan design, but it is what it is. The die is cast. However, that's not to say that people who really want a hatchback/wagon shouldn't continue to lobby Tesla for such a vehicle. For all we know, Tesla may already have plans for this. Even if they don't, they may listen and consider it as a future Model 3 version if there's enough demand for it. Ergo, the "Future Cars" subforum as a place for like-minded members to ideate, discuss, share, organize and otherwise make their wishes known.

Last edited:
I actually fully expected a hatch and am bummed that it isn't happening. A wagon would be even more incredible, but not fitting for the 3. I could really see it on the S to give more room for those rear facing passengers, and cars like the Panamera wagon and Volvo V90 will elevate the image of premium wagons. Here is my non-premium wagon to show my wagon love:

DSC_8439-X2.jpg

DSC_1263-X2.jpg

That may very well be true, but that's not the Model 3 that was just revealed and scheduled for production and delivery in late 2017 or early 2018. Tesla is not going to make a major design change like that now and have any hope of meeting their target date on this most important ("bet the company") product in their history so far.

That's certainly true.

I can't speak for the other commenters, but I certainly wasn't suggesting "maybe Tesla should drop everything and go build a new station wagon like this rendering instead of the 3 they just announced with all this fanfare," but rather "that station wagon rendering looks like a good car that would make a nice companion to the 3 sedan we just saw and might win the hearts of (and some extra dollars from) all the folks who are expressing disappointment over the lack of a hatch on the 3."

You're right: I don't think there's any possibility that Tesla won't be trying to ship a sedan that greatly resembles the one from the reveal first.

However, if the station wagon is based closely enough on the sedan in structure and they combine some of the testing, I could see them releasing a station wagon version 6 months later - and announcing it beforehand to give 3 reservation holders a chance to choose which version they'd prefer.

(Not saying this will happen - just that it could, likely with minimal impact on the timeline [depending on how similar the structure is, of course,] and potentially with a net profit to Tesla, since the wagon version will presumably be more expensive.)
Walter