Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 delivery estimator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've even seen it characterized as Tesla AWD w/ all-seasons is better than Tesla RWD w/ winter tires. Some people will pay for that extra traction in the winter.

That would be pretty weird, since that's not the case with ICE cars.

In most situations tires > drivetrain.

RWD with snow tires beats AWD with all seasons for most tasks in snow (climbing very steep hills is the one likely exception)- should be even more the case with a Tesla.

Obviously AWD with snows will offer the best snow performance, but a shockingly high % of people don't bother with anything but all seasons... which are called that because they're measurably inferior, in all seasons, to actual seasonal tires.

Generally above ~40 degrees summer performance tires beat all seasons at everything, and below ~40 snow tires beat all seasons at everything.

RWD with snow tires beats AWD with all seasons for most tasks in snow (climbing very steep hills is the one likely exception)- should be even more the case with a Tesla.

Obviously AWD with snows will offer the best snow performance, but a shockingly high % of people don't bother with anything but all seasons... which are called that because they're measurably inferior, in all seasons, to actual seasonal tires.

Generally above ~40 degrees summer performance tires beat all seasons at everything, and below ~40 snow tires beat all seasons at everything.
This is what I've read as well, and I believe it based on my physics intuition. But I could be wrong too :) Either way, I'm foregoing AWD so I can get my car several months earlier - honestly not worth it for me to wait. I want it and I want it now!!!!

Reactions: UkrHog

Only for situations that you can't solve with MOAR ACCELERATION.

Like stopping.

Winter tires tend to get eaten up faster by wear. Also all-season is handy if you are flipping back and forth between "summer best" and "winter best" and/or you won't be back home for a week or four where the other set of tires are stored.

Only for situations that you can't solve with MOAR ACCELERATION.

Like stopping.

Yeah- that's why dedicated tires are better (and safer) than all seasons. In all seasons.

Winter tires tend to get eaten up faster by wear.

I'm ok replacing tires a bit more often it means reducing stopping distances significantly. Which it does.

Remember- it the tires, not the brakes, that stop the car.

Edmonds ran tests of summer vs winter vs all seasons a few years ago... in fact they used the MXM4 as their all season- the same thing Tesla is putting on the model 3 base wheel.

It sucks. In all seasons.

In snow? 24% slower acceleration compared to winter tires, and a bit behind them on the skid pad as well...but even worse- from 60 mph the braking distance was almost 60 feet longer with all-seasons.

In wet (not freezing) conditions? The all seasons are even worse... they came in third for acceleration and skidpad behind both the winters and the summers...and braking? Dead last again- needing an additional 35 feet compared to the winter tires, and needing 58 feet more than the summer tires to stop from 60.

In dry and non-freezing? The all seasons finally manage to not stink up the joint for acceleration...basically matching the summers... but still come in second best to the summer tires on the skid pad and braking (though they "only" needed an extra 11 feet to stop this time, so they sucked less at least!)

Also all-season is handy if you are flipping back and forth between "summer best" and "winter best" and/or you won't be back home for a week or four where the other set of tires are stored.

Not really following this...

You switch to winter tires when it's going to start being both cold and wet...and back to summers when it's done being under ~40 degrees for a long while... when that is exactly will vary by area... for example I'm in NC- we usually don't need to swap to winters until mid-late November... and then usually back to summers sometime in the March-ish time frame.

All seasons are never handy, because they'll always deliver significantly worse performance and safety than either dedicated tire at the right time. As you see from the Edmonds data they're usually second-best in the best of times, and in wet/non-freezing they come in third behind both tires, by a wide margin.

And if I were going someplace for weeks, I'd probably have enough time to check the weather in advance before leaving and have the right tires on the vehicle...

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad
I guess I was thrown for a loop on delivery location since there isn't a center within my zone. Does delivery location necessarily correspond to delivery centers? With the S and X, I recall deliveries being made to individuals, but I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't offered for the 3 (though I recall reading one account here in the last few months where this did happen, of course I may be misremembering).

Yeah- that's why dedicated tires are better (and safer) than all seasons. In all seasons.

Except when the seasons don't line up nice, for various reasons, and then you're driving summer tires on cold, wet, and/or snowy ground. Winter tires when it's hot isn't as bad, mostly it's the money burn....until your tread is gone really early and now the tires aren't so great anymore, oops.
Not really following this...
Maybe you've never notice or lived anywhere that can be either be well over 40F or snowing on any given day of the year? Much less have weeks notice in advance....and even if you could crystal ball far enough ahead, what are you driving on until then?

There are lots of driving issues where acceleration gets you out of issues. You do need to be mindful of keeping speed down, and that going to the brake pedal = "I give up, oh well".

Last edited:
Maybe you've never notice or lived anywhere that can be either be well over 40F or snowing on any given day of the year? Much less have weeks notice in advance....and even if you could crystal ball far enough ahead, what are you driving on until then?

This somewhat describes where I live. It can be 80F one week in February, and, like this week, in the 30-40F range, sometimes with hail and snow flurries. March-April are very tough to predict here. Plus we have road elevation change from 500' to 7000' within 100 miles range from here.

A few years ago in late August we went from 100F one week to freezing rain the next, with heavy snowfall in the mountains.

This somewhat describes where I live. It can be 80F one week in February, and, like this week, in the 30-40F range, sometimes with hail and snow flurries. March-April are very tough to predict here.

Then you'd leave your winters on until late april or maybe early May.

The point is you want the best possible tires on for dangerous conditions. The most dangerous conditions are when there's wet on the roads of some kind, either below 35-40 or above it.

In sub-40 wet winters are the best tires. By a large margin

In above-40 wet conditions summers are the best, with winter tires being not that far behind.... and all seasons being pretty terrible compared to either.

Driving above 40 with winters instead of summers (ie you keep them on a little too long) is still considerably safer than driving with all seasons in either condition.

Except when the seasons don't line up nice, for various reasons, and then you're driving summer tires on cold, wet, and/or snowy ground. Winter tires when it's hot isn't as bad, mostly it's the money burn....until your tread is gone really early and now the tires aren't so great anymore, oops.

Maybe you've never notice or lived anywhere that can be either be well over 40F or snowing on any given day of the year?

Nope, I haven't.

I've lived as far north as Ontario Canada and as far south as Atlanta Georgia, and it's never, ever, been the case where it could be over 40 or snowing on any day of the year.

When you switched your tires over changed- places I've lived in the south it was pretty safe to keep summers on until at least late October or November... in Canada you did it at least a month or two earlier... and depending on the given year that might mean you're running your winter tires more than absolutely needed.... but small price to pay for dozens of feet shorter stopping distance.

There's no amount of wearing tires out faster that's worth crashing the car over.

But the only place it's generally an UTTER AND TOTAL SURPRISE when you get snow without ANY warning are places in the deep south- where if that happens you don't need the tires anyway. You're not going anywhere. The roads are undriveably bad and everything is already closed and likely will be for a few days because there's like 2 plows in the whole state... (I exaggerate- but not by much)

And even then it never happens for at least 6+ months out of the year.

Much less have weeks notice in advance....and even if you could crystal ball far enough ahead, what are you driving on until then?

Not sure what you mean here?

If there's basically no chance it's below 40 you're driving on summer tires. If there is a chance it'll be below 35-40 (and you need to drive- not talking about "Oh, it'll dip to 38 tuesday at 3 am and then warm up" stuff) you're driving on winters.

If you're gonna be driving, I dunno, say from Las Vegas proper up to the top of Mount Charleston, where it'd be 70 when you pull out of the garage and 30 and wet at the top, you have snow tires on.

Changing wheels doesn't take all that long.

Dealing with a car accident because you took an extra 50 feet to stop with all-seasons does.

There are lots of driving issues where acceleration gets you out of issues.

Sure- and winter tires outperform the hell out of all seasons in those situations too, as shown by the data I cited from Edmonds testing.

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Then you'd leave your winters on until late april or maybe early May.

The point is you want the best possible tires on for dangerous conditions. The most dangerous conditions are when there's wet on the roads of some kind, either below 35-40 or above it.

In sub-40 wet winters are the best tires. By a large margin

In above-40 wet conditions summers are the best, with winter tires being not that far behind.... and all seasons being pretty terrible compared to either.

Driving above 40 with winters instead of summers (ie you keep them on a little too long) is still considerably safer than driving with all seasons in either condition.

Nope, I haven't.

I've lived as far north as Ontario Canada and as far south as Atlanta Georgia, and it's never, ever, been the case where it could be over 40 or snowing on any day of the year.

When you switched your tires over changed- places I've lived in the south it was pretty safe to keep summers on until at least late October or November... in Canada you did it at least a month or two earlier... and depending on the given year that might mean you're running your winter tires more than absolutely needed.... but small price to pay for dozens of feet shorter stopping distance.

There's no amount of wearing tires out faster that's worth crashing the car over.

But the only place it's generally an UTTER AND TOTAL SURPRISE when you get snow without ANY warning are places in the deep south- where if that happens you don't need the tires anyway. You're not going anywhere. The roads are undriveably bad and everything is already closed and likely will be for a few days because there's like 2 plows in the whole state... (I exaggerate- but not by much)

And even then it never happens for at least 6+ months out of the year.

Not sure what you mean here?

If there's basically no chance it's below 40 you're driving on summer tires. If there is a chance it'll be below 35-40 (and you need to drive- not talking about "Oh, it'll dip to 38 tuesday at 3 am and then warm up" stuff) you're driving on winters.

If you're gonna be driving, I dunno, say from Las Vegas proper up to the top of Mount Charleston, where it'd be 70 when you pull out of the garage and 30 and wet at the top, you have snow tires on.

Changing wheels doesn't take all that long.

Dealing with a car accident because you took an extra 50 feet to stop with all-seasons does.

Sure- and winter tires outperform the hell out of all seasons in those situations too, as shown by the data I cited from Edmonds testing.

FYI I didn't even bother to take the time read your post, maybe if it was somewhere appropriate.....: Model 3 delivery estimator

Ridiculous.

Anyways a critique of the estimator. You have been estimating delivery data (let's call it D) for a long time. And it's basically been incorrect the whole time. First it was October, then December, February, March, etc...

D is really a composition of modeling relative positioning of reservations (time, location, vehicle type, etc...) and you have done a damn good job of doing that. Let's call that R.

But you did a terrible job of estimating P (let's call it Tesla production).

D = P + R.

Your modeling needs to add probabilistic / uncertainties to your estimates of P, otherwise they will be a joke (as they have been the last year).

Anyways a critique of the estimator. You have been estimating delivery data (let's call it D) for a long time. And it's basically been incorrect the whole time. First it was October, then December, February, March, etc...

D is really a composition of modeling relative positioning of reservations (time, location, vehicle type, etc...) and you have done a damn good job of doing that. Let's call that R.

But you did a terrible job of estimating P (let's call it Tesla production).

D = P + R.

Your modeling needs to add probabilistic / uncertainties to your estimates of P, otherwise they will be a joke (as they have been the last year).

I think @Troy has been doing a great job with the estimator. It’s Tesla that has been dropping the ball with production and missing their own estimates two times now already (and probably going to miss yet a third time). Troy’s estimates are only as good as the latest data that is available and how closely Tesla can follow through on its constantly revised production ramp.

I think @Troy has been doing a great job with the estimator. It’s Tesla that has been dropping the ball with production and missing their own estimates two times now already (and probably going to miss yet a third time). Troy’s estimates are only as good as the latest data that is available and how closely Tesla can follow through on its constantly revised production ramp.

"Pass the buck"

Troy’s estimates are only as good as the latest data that is available and how closely Tesla can follow through on its constantly revised production ramp.
Troy's estimates are completely and totally worthless. It's got pretty colors and looks nice to make you think its accurate, but its not at all. You might as well use a dartboard. The only estimate that is worth anything is the one on your MyTesla page, and that is only very very slightly worthwhile. Trying to predict a delivery when the company building the product itself can't even predict it is a fools errand.

Troy's estimates are completely and totally worthless. It's got pretty colors and looks nice to make you think its accurate, but its not at all. You might as well use a dartboard. The only estimate that is worth anything is the one on your MyTesla page, and that is only very very slightly worthwhile. Trying to predict a delivery when the company building the product itself can't even predict it is a fools errand.

Actually, for the last year Troy's estimator has basically been +/- one month for the delivery of my non-owner Model 3. Much of the time it was estimating a Feb 2018 delivery. I configured Feb 24, and expect to take delivery in March. Pretty darn good estimate to me.

Yikes. These comments lately are ridiculous. I actually think this estimator is more likely to be accurate than Tesla’s, at least for me. Reserved last month. Estimator says late November if I go LR and mid June 2019 if I go SR. Tesla says late 2018 for LR and early 2019 for SR (I can’t imagine that actually happening). And yes. He can only create an estimator based on the info available to him.

As a current owner, I placed a reservation yesterday. How soon should I be able to configure? Given that others who placed reservations a couple weeks ago were able to immediately, I'm wondering what the hold up is...

Based upon what we've noticed recently, as a current owner you should receive your config invite when the next batch of invites goes out. Whether the next batch goes out sometime this week or next remains to be seen.