Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree with this option. Driving is a luxury for the most part - the fuel costs for an electric car are low enough and our taxes are high enough. There's hardly a government in this country that has a balanced budget at this point - massive EV rebates or tax incentives are not the right way to go - punish the bad behaviour with a (higher) carbon tax instead. If anything, there should be offsets of carbon tax for home heating - this usage is not a luxury.

I want a Model 3 just as much as the next person in this thread, but I don't need or want my neighbour who can't afford a brand new EV to subsidize it.

Actually totally agree with what you are saying. The reality is however that governments don't do too well during election cycles (which are now getting longer and longer) when they raise the cost o staple items to the "every day worker". That's why the Liberals are being crucified over the Carbon Tax implementation.

Votes are bought with incentives and tax cuts and the Liberals (both Federal and Provincial) are going to be looking to buy a lot of votes.

Here's hoping the leaders and party handlers make sensible decisions... but I'm not holding my breath. If in the mean time I get to enjoy a few benefits then so be it.

I'm on board with taxing consumption of behavior they want to scale down though... always thought that's a better way to tax-- Consumption over income.

Model 3 spotted late last night/early this morning at Tsawwassen Supercharger
IMG_0938.JPG

So I checked my reservation and saw this:

Your Model 3 Delivery Estimate
Model 3 deliveries are beginning in the US based on whether you are an employee, if you own a Tesla and when you placed your reservation.
RN*** made on March 31, 2016

• Late 2018

Below this was a Blue Box with the word "SAVE" in it, so I clicked on it and now it says:

Your preference has been saved

Does that mean if I didn't click the "save" box under "Late 2018" it would not be my preference?

• Funny
Reactions: sitter_k
I don't think there will be much mystery regarding pricing in Canada - Tesla has tended to pass through exchange rates on a regular basis. So take the US price and multiply by 1.25
Don't they usually do so with a buffer for themselves?

Most cross-border businesses will price at exchange + 5-10% on sales into Canada to protect themselves from moving currency.

I doubt tesla would price right on spot or within half a cent. I'd guess 1.30 at a minimum.

Apparently, the date you reserved is irrelevant if you didn't click "Save". So now you're at the back of the line... ;)

LOL! I hope that's not the case... Looks like its just sloppy coding for the webpage. They didn't hide the button that would have some functionality when they start asking Canadians what configuration they might be interested in.

That or we needed to click on the button to hold our reservation and I just wasted 8 months thinking I had a spot in line when I didnt!

California reservation holder here (owner, March 31, 2016 reservation). I was invited to configure, and was planning to defer until I need another car, but now my father-in-law, who lives in Hamilton, ON, is asking if he can use it. I believe Tesla does allow this, but if he wants the car this year, I'm assuming he would have to pick up in California, or at least in the US somewhere.

Anyone have experience with bringing a US Tesla to Canada? Some questions come to mind, if you happen to know the answer...
  1. would the built-in LTE work in Canada?
  2. if the title is in his name, but picked up in the US, can he claim the Ontario $14K incentive?
    Alternative might be for me to buy it, claim $7500 Fed + $2500 CA state credits/rebates, and let him borrow it as long as he would like.
Any insights would be much appreciated.

So far you cannot bring a Tesla into Canada. Bringing a car from the US requires the help of th manufacturer and Tesla hasn’t been willing to help facilitate that. However, someone reported on the forum last week in Vancouver who was buying an inventory car and he said he got one from Seattle. I think this was a Model S.

The LTE should work in Canada.

• Informative
Reactions: sakimano
I don't think you can import a US Tesla into Canada.

Yes you can, but only the Roadster for now:

ADMISSIBLE NOTES
Roadster models built from May 4, 2009 to August 31, 2011 inclusively with last four digit VIN range starting #0501 (build week 5/4/2009) extending through #1420 (build week 8/29/2011)

INADMISSIBLE NOTES
Note-2:
Tesla Motors has informed Transport Canada that Tesla service centers are currently not in a position to support the substantial modifications required to bring U.S. Model S and Model X vehicles into compliance with Canadian requirements. Contact the manufacturer for further details.

TESLA MOTORS

Of course it was a model 3. But I don't think the built-in LTE will work in Canada.

Why not? The S/X roam back and forth on Rogers/AT&T -- from Canada to US and vice versa. There's no reason to think that won't be the same for the Model 3. Plus, if it didn't work, I would think we would have heard that by now from the people bringing the Model 3 up here.

Last edited:
It's great to know that my car will still have cellular service when I drive to Ontario someday! Mine has 3G, but hopefully the same carriers will have 3G coverage too.

Too bad about the likely issues with importing a Model 3 into Canada. Also, lending for more than very short periods won't work either, because of insurance coverage. Thanks for the info.

Yes you can, but only the Roadster for now:

ADMISSIBLE NOTES
Roadster models built from May 4, 2009 to August 31, 2011 inclusively with last four digit VIN range starting #0501 (build week 5/4/2009) extending through #1420 (build week 8/29/2011)

INADMISSIBLE NOTES
Note-2:
Tesla Motors has informed Transport Canada that Tesla service centers are currently not in a position to support the substantial modifications required to bring U.S. Model S and Model X vehicles into compliance with Canadian requirements. Contact the manufacturer for further details.

TESLA MOTORS

Why not? The S/X roam back and forth on Rogers/AT&T -- from Canada to US and vice versa. There's no reason to think that won't be the same for the Model 3. Plus, if it didn't work, I would think we would have heard that by now from the people bringing the Model 3 up here.
But the inadmissible list doesn't include the model 3 yet. I am moving from CA to Canada in a few months and since I can't bring my MS to Canada, I actually would like to find out if I could take delivery of my Model 3 and bring it to Canada...