Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Cabin Camera View Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Early Model 3 owners, please check your cabin camera from the Tesla app and see if the view matches ours in the 1st photo below.

Recently we noticed that the cabin camera view was obstructed, as if the camera became dislodged. Tesla came and fixed it this morning. The mobile technician said that a part inside the housing was upside down (???), but Tesla still made us pay for the fix ($60). It may have been this way from the factory as we've never taken it apart. When I followed up, Tesla said that the technician was new and may have been "confused". Car is no longer under warranty. Not going to fight it further, since we have no way to prove otherwise, but I believe it came this way from the factory and we never noticed, came loose under normal driving, or Tesla took it apart during a previous Tesla service appointment and assembled it incorrectly (though they claim they have no record of doing so).

Anyway, i'm over the $60. Tthe reason for my post is i'm wondering if the fixed camera is working 100%. When I compare to our Model Y, the Model Y has a much better vertical view, whereas the fixed Model 3 view looks to be obstructed at the bottom and top. Tesla said it is normal. If someone with an early 2018 Model 3 can share their view so I can compare, I'd much appreciate it.

1st photo is 2018 Model 3 AFTER the fix.
2nd photo is 2020 Model Y
3rd photo is Model 3 BEFORE the fix.

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpg
    IMG_2988.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_2989.jpg
    IMG_2989.jpg
    802 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2541.jpeg
    IMG_2541.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 158
Thank you @mirkop82! Looks like it was fixed properly.

I understand @Unclepaul. Though there is such thing as "good will". Elon often says that they always try to "do the right thing", and if the camera was installed incorrectly by Tesla Service or at the factory, "the right thing" would be to fix it for free out of warranty. It was literally a 5-minute fix. ANyway, thanks for your input.

Reactions: Soul Surfer

I understand @Unclepaul. Though there is such thing as "good will". Elon often says that they always try to "do the right thing", and if the camera was installed incorrectly by Tesla Service or at the factory, "the right thing" would be to fix it for free out of warranty. It was literally a 5-minute fix. ANyway, thanks for your input.
I would definitely approach the Tesla SC with that as this is part of their safety features too. No harm in asking.

Early Model 3 owners, please check your cabin camera from the Tesla app and see if the view matches ours in the 1st photo below.

Recently we noticed that the cabin camera view was obstructed, as if the camera became dislodged. Tesla came and fixed it this morning. The mobile technician said that a part inside the housing was upside down (???), but Tesla still made us pay for the fix ($60). It may have been this way from the factory as we've never taken it apart. When I followed up, Tesla said that the technician was new and may have been "confused". Car is no longer under warranty. Not going to fight it further, since we have no way to prove otherwise, but I believe it came this way from the factory and we never noticed, came loose under normal driving, or Tesla took it apart during a previous Tesla service appointment and assembled it incorrectly (though they claim they have no record of doing so).

Anyway, i'm over the $60. Tthe reason for my post is i'm wondering if the fixed camera is working 100%. When I compare to our Model Y, the Model Y has a much better vertical view, whereas the fixed Model 3 view looks to be obstructed at the bottom and top. Tesla said it is normal. If someone with an early 2018 Model 3 can share their view so I can compare, I'd much appreciate it.

1st photo is 2018 Model 3 AFTER the fix.
2nd photo is 2020 Model Y
3rd photo is Model 3 BEFORE the fix.

Here's some other examples, looks like the view is generally that narrow. If it was improperly installed (sunk in) I would expect instead a bezel would be visible, as per your third picture.

camera-preview.jpg

Tesla-Model-3-Cabin-Camera-Footage.jpg

I think his point is that is the whole point of a warranty to fix stuff defective from factory or done by Tesla Service (which if paid out of warranty carries a 1 year limited warranty).

Tesla also now offers an extended warranty.

Goodwill is going above and beyond that, but that should not be the default expectation.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
@griffd

Here is my own 2018 Model 3 Performance (born on date mid november 2018, Bought by me beginning of December 2018). I took this picture this evening after seeing this thread. Mine actually looks more like the one in @stopcrazypp 's photos they found online with the bezel part under the bottom being diagonal, while in your screenshot it looks straight.

Yours looks better than mine to me. I have had a windshield replacement but have never had anything specific done with the interior camera. The one in my wifes Y looks like your Y picture.

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 6.00.26 PM.png

White seats are my 2020 Model 3,, Black seats my 2022 Y.

The Y had to have the cabin camera replaced due to the IR filter not working correctly at night, thus fully disabling FSD Beta when it got too dark

Attachments

• IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4999.jpg
    IMG_4999.jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 71
Mine actually looks more like the one in @stopcrazypp 's photos they found online with the bezel part under the bottom being diagonal, while in your screenshot it looks straight.
I don't think that is the bezel, I think you are seeing the top of the rear-view mirror, and some people may have it angled which is why it appears diagonal in some pictures.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I notice my wife’s recently acquired 2023 Y does have the cabin view, while mine does not. I’m thinking it’s the 2.5, and not necessarily the model year. Any 2.5 2018 Model 3s here that do show cabin view?