Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Backup Camera Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please please, pretty please, with sugar on top, for the sake of science, do lower the pressure down to 35 and report the differences. A few miles won't do any damage.

no need to go that low, 45 would be soft enough for most, 42 would be even softer, 40 softer than that, 38 softer again, you are so many levels below normal at 35 it isn't even worth discussing.

Start high and go down 1 or 2 psi at time until you find the ride you want. Just keep in mind every PSI you lower it is costing you money if you pay for the electricity.

Reactions: kbecks13
in almost every other comparison of the driving experience between the two cars, the 3 wins. The model 3 interior, driving dynamics, UI/UX, and overall feel of refinement make my relatively new Model S feel very dated. More convinced than ever that Tesla will have to serious upgrade the model S interior... I'm now regretting putting the big money into my P90DL-->P100DL upgrade. Should have saved that money for the inevitable Model S 2.0 (3.0?) vehicle that is soon to come.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you are not experiencing the same rough ride as K-MTG is reporting ("..feel every bump in the road.."). Do you have the 18" wheels or 19" wheels.

I've had many rental cars from many manufacturers, and none of the backup cameras showed any of those awful effects.

However, I haven't tried actually using it to park, so I don't know if this is superior or inferior. Let me know if you can safely avoid hitting things by using that type of image compared to flat images most manufacturers show.

Got to sit in You You Xue’s Model 3 last night at the meet and greet in Edison NJ. Very glad I was finally able to see one in person since they are still extremely rare in NJ. I did notice the backup camera view to be a bit odd myself. Wasn’t able to see it in action but I did snap a photo of the backup camera being displayed on the screen. This was at a poorly lit supercharger (the overhead LED street lights were not working because it was so damn cold out). Hopefully they’re able to make some improvements via software updates.

2C5A630C-4742-4246-9959-8F9DC916D8AB.jpeg

Reactions: Pluto
FWIW, I've been riding (mostly) shotgun in my sister's Model 3 for 2 1/2 days now (sometimes driving) - and it never once occurred to me that the backup camera was anything but fine. I think this is a nonissue, honestly. It's different, yes. But it's not unacceptable.
Have you tried in in the country where there is no ambient light source. The image is so dark that I can see virtually nothing. I'm on my 2nd model S and have driven Teslas since since early 2013. I can live with the fisheye but not with the dark image. It could be as simple to fix as increasing the brightness. We need a software fix, quick, before people start backing into things.

Reactions: White
Nah. Good cameras are so incredibly cheap that it's inexcusable for anyone to cut corners here. There are much lower end cars that don't make that kind if sacrifice and it's why people were (rightfully) up in arms when Tesla used to put the hokey low res camera in the older S's that didn't have the tech package.

Yeh. You are right on this. I got the 3 yesterday... the camera video is the worst I've seen in any car I've been in. Barely usable at night. Really no excuse for a modern/tech marketed vehicle.

I'll hold out hope for a software improvement.

I seriously don't understand these comments. The camera is not fantastic, but it's very much above "worst" or "terrible". The fisheye can totally be adjusted via software in the future and, in fact, i actually have come to enjoy it because you can see all the way into your blind spots on the sides if you use it when driving.

• Informative
Reactions: skitown
Yeh. You are right on this. I got the 3 yesterday... the camera video is the worst I've seen in any car I've been in. Barely usable at night. Really no excuse for a modern/tech marketed vehicle.

I'll hold out hope for a software improvement.
Wow. Looks like Tesla's other secret strategy worked. Maybe the sub-Tesla M3 rear camera is another upsell for the Model 3. After all we can't backup a car now without a rear view camera so putting this one on the 3 gives pa a good reason to convinence ma that we DO need to go get that 'other Tesla they sell.

• Funny
Reactions: skitown
I seriously don't understand these comments. The camera is not fantastic, but it's very much above "worst" or "terrible". The fisheye can totally be adjusted via software in the future and, in fact, i actually have come to enjoy it because you can see all the way into your blind spots on the sides if you use it when driving.
Have you tried it at night where there are no other sources of light than the backup lights. My S is fine while with the 3 I see nothing but darkness. I'll try to get some comparison photos after it is dark.