Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Audio Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been really annoyed that Apple Music and Spotify stream at such low bitrate. I don't know why they put in such a great sound system and then expect you to stream at 64kbps HE-AAC. Bluetooth sounds better, but it's nice to be able to browse playlists etc. on the car screen.

Please submit feedback to them. I did.

And yes, on wifi too. It's Tesla cheaping out on data usage. The low quality stream is about a quarter the size per song than the normal quality. Despite letting you stream as much Netflix as you want, this is what they choose to restrict.
Not only on data usage, on software development too (hopefully on non-critical software). It definitely would be possible to switch between rates depending on wifi / cellular.

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't the way around this be to download all your music, and stick it on an external SSD in the glovebox?

Does that allow the selection of playlists etc on the in-car screen? (Forgive me, I'm out of my Tesla at the moment and can't test/experiment).

There are ways of extracting a Spotify playlist to play locally...

Reactions: SalisburySam
Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't the way around this be to download all your music, and stick it on an external SSD in the glovebox?

Does that allow the selection of playlists etc on the in-car screen? (Forgive me, I'm out of my Tesla at the moment and can't test/experiment).

There are ways of moving yourself without a car too. They are workarounds, but on its own the fact that the bitrate is limited is interesting, worth giving a negative feedback to Tesla and definitely worth fixing.

Reactions: dronus

Using the media player to access an SSD gives only a very basic user interface. There are no playlists, but you can arrange your music into folders (using your computer) and access those folders through the media player. I greatly prefer to use my own music instead of streaming, and find Tesla's media player very disappointing.

I’ve done the same, and from the beginning of our Model 3 ownership. Our SSD is in the console (2018 model) and is partitioned for the car’s dash cam/Sentry use on one side and music on the other. We did this since we needed a device for the dash cam anyway so why not do both. The music interface is somewhat limited but far easier to wade through than Tesla’s media choices UI, at least in the early days. Bonus: no worries about reception, media quality, content, and so on. By the way, our Samsung T5 512GB SSD is still working after sitting in the car almost six years. We remove it periodically to add music and delete videos using my desktop iMac.