Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 as Getaway Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this topic has been addressed yet on the forum, but I was wondering how the Model 3 would work as a getaway car. It seems to be the perfect partner in any bank robbery or heist. First, it can drop you off around back and go park itself legally so you don't get ticketed or draw suspicion. Once the heist is complete, you can use summon through the app to have it pull up front exactly when you need it (no pesky inconsistent getaway driver texting his girlfriend and showing up late again...). Once you're in it and have BOTH the trunk AND frunk full of cash and jewelry, I assume it can use its full autonomous mode to route you around traffic jams. In addition to having millisecond reaction time and constant monitoring of "safe areas" to drive using all of its available sensors, it could weave in and out of traffic with the precision of a Hollywood stunt driver. Hopefully there is an option to ignore red lights somewhere deep in the menus also. While driving itself to your safe house, you are free to toss oil cans or nails out the window, or for the very adventurous, try to shoot out tires of the numerous police cars following you. Once you arrive safely, you don't have to split your haul with previously mentioned inconsistent partner, who will inevitably try to stab you in the back and move to the Cayman Islands. The car would more than pay for itself quickly! Plus, you'd be environmentally friendly!

Anyways, interested to hear any thoughts about this or if there's anything I'm not considering. ***ASKING FOR A FRIEND***

All the above makes sense. But wouldn't the Model S be better? True, being bigger it would have a harder time finding a parking spot and weaving in and out of traffic. But it would make up for that by having more cargo space for loot, and it will always (per Elon) be faster than the Model 3. And your friend could begin his career of crime right away, rather than having to wait a year to get a Model 3.

Worth noting that if things don't go according to plan, prison really isn't as bad as Hollywood makes it out to be, depending on where you are. My advice: Choose a bank near a state line and get across the line as quickly as possible, so as to get into the federal system, unless you are going to be in an enlightened state with nice state prisons.

My advice: Choose a bank near a state line and get across the line as quickly as possible, so as to get into the federal system, unless you are going to be in an enlightened state with nice state prisons.

Wow that's very well thought out! This reminds me of Office Space when they are talking about their prison preference. I'll be sure to keep this in mind...

The problem with your plan is when the police calls Tesla HQ and demand that they disables the car and lock you in it, and to tell them where the car is located

This seems like an invasion of privacy. They'd def need a warrant for this. Wasn't there a case recently where they were trying to use info from someone's Amazon Echo to see if they comitted a crime?

This seems like an invasion of privacy. They'd def need a warrant for this.
Yes, you are right about both parts here. I do not know anything about that Amazon Echo case...

But looking a bit into the future, as more and more cars gets self driving and/or is on-line with GPS position, the police in many countries will see the benefit of having access to this. And as we all know, if it is something the police and/or the governments wants, they will sooner or later get it - legal or other-ways. Did not Wikileaks leak a lot of the tools CIA had just a short time ago?

• Helpful
Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
if it is something the police and/or the governments wants, they will sooner or later get it - legal or other-ways. Did not Wikileaks leak a lot of the tools CIA had just a short time ago?

That's true in many ways, but thankfully for my...friend.... you still have to provide probable cause and a warrant for this info, regardless of capabilities. I'm not a lawyer, but other than national security/terrorism charges, I think you have to provide how you got the evidence. Luckily, bank robbery seems like a relatively victimless crime, so no problem there! ;)

Of course you're in Florida. Where else would you be?

This seems like a negatively rhetorical question... I approve!

How the Model 3 would work as a getaway car?...

Depends... probably not so well if your local Police department gets some of these. In which case, you better hope your getaway was clean, which... with live tracking tracking GPS and 8 video cameras on board is pretty much impossible. Meaning that a single witness, who sees you from across the street (no license plate number required), and you are toast. IOW, a Tesla is arguably the worst vehicle to obtain for your new found bank-heisting hobby.:p

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
I had to re-read the subject. I read it as:
Model 3 as Geteway Car?

As my first EV it will be for me. You have me wondering if M3 is the gateway what 'hard stuff' I'll move onto as the hits no longer do it for me, and my life spirals out of control in an electron-fuelled family-destroying frenzy?
I'm sure I can stop any time but...

Model 3 as Geteway Car?

As my first EV it will be for me. You have me wondering if M3 is the gateway what 'hard stuff' I'll move onto as the hits no longer do it for me, and my life spirals out of control in an electron-fuelled family-destroying frenzy?

Usually we talk about the Volt as a gateway car - a 60-80% step into the EV world, without abandoning the ICE world entirely. The Model 3 is a solid leap with both feet into the brave new world of EVs.

But if we're going with impressions from the subject, my first thought was that the 3 will make a great getaway car - between the self driving and the upcoming automated superchargers, it'll be the perfect car for a weekend getaway road trip.

If you learn to trust it enough, eventually it can drive you several hundred miles while you sleep - then you can go explore a new city when you wake up...

a Tesla is arguably the worst vehicle to obtain for your new found bank-heisting hobby.:p

Ugh such a Debbie downer... I'll just hope the police cruiser Model S's have some malfunctioning auto-presenting handles that my Model 3 won't have to deal with.

Don't for get the multitude of cameras on the vehicle. I have seen video taken from the system's camera post crash. Seems like with the proper warrant, this could also prove to be a setback to the criminally minded.

Good point. I'll have to find a way to delete this...

Presumably an autonomous car will be programmed to pull over in response to police lights...

That's crap. What if you are trying to evade them? I'm really starting to question this whole "autonomous driving" thing...

Model 3 as Geteway Car?

Usually we talk about the Volt as a gateway car - a 60-80% step into the EV world, without abandoning the ICE world entirely. The Model 3 is a solid leap with both feet into the brave new world of EVs.

My gateway into EVs was the Prius: I loved when it went into electric mode. I was one of the early adopters of the conversion that turned the CC stalk into an EV switch. But that still only gave me brief forays into electric driving, so I got the Zap Xebra, which was my daily driver for four years. Now that was a solid leap with both feet into electric driving. 40 miles of range to dead empty with an aftermarket battery pack, and a top speed of 35 mph on level ground. Slower uphill, faster downhill. Zero to 35 mph in 31 seconds.

Sorry for the digression from the topic.