Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobileye-update active cruise control now working.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully Tesla will see that this is something a lot of owners miss from either their previous cars or were more or less promised when getting the tech package from sales representatives at the time of purchase. I was told that wiring for new features (such as acc) were in place with the tech package so adding hw later would be very easy..

My Mobileye was updated this week and is now functioning. Installer needed to change the mechanism to disable Cruise control - prior way was a message to Tesla to disable cruise control, this doesn't work now. Installer switched to tap the brake to disable Cruise Control. Only negative aspect of this is that if power is being applied, you get the message "Both pedals pressed" which goes away in about a half second.

But based on this experience it might very well be the case that every time Tesla downloads a major software upgrade Mobile Eye might have to be updated as well. That will be a real PIA.

This is my fear too. I hope Tesla realizes they have a growing installed base of cars that needs stability in the interfaces.

I wish Tesla had provided "hooks" into its interface for the after-market MobilEye product. That would allow us to buy it, plug it in, and have it work right through Tesla's displays and interfaces. I know we need an SDK, which we don't have, but since Tesla worked so closely with MobilEye on autopilot, it would have been nice if they co-developed something for us non-autopilot owners that we could buy that would integrate with Tesla's software.

My Mobileye was updated this week and is now functioning. Installer needed to change the mechanism to disable Cruise control - prior way was a message to Tesla to disable cruise control, this doesn't work now. Installer switched to tap the brake to disable Cruise Control. Only negative aspect of this is that if power is being applied, you get the message "Both pedals pressed" which goes away in about a half second.

So now the FCW sends a "tap the brakes signal" I did not know ME could interface with the brakes

I wish Tesla had provided "hooks" into its interface for the after-market MobilEye product. That would allow us to buy it, plug it in, and have it work right through Tesla's displays and interfaces. I know we need an SDK, which we don't have, but since Tesla worked so closely with MobilEye on autopilot, it would have been nice if they co-developed something for us non-autopilot owners that we could buy that would integrate with Tesla's software.
Mobileye provides a version of their devices for fleets, which cram signals down the CAN bus. Their Mobileye 560 system also sends out bluetooth messages about all the events/statuses. Their mobile app makes use of that. I have actually written a program on the Mac to read the bluetooth information and display the status on my laptop. I was going to make a web server on my laptop and have the Tesla web browser display the Mobileye information, but the Tesla web browser won't access local IP addresses, so the server would have to be accessed remotely which would not make it very fast. Ideally, if Tesla provided an app interface that had access to Bluetooth this could be accomplished very easily. Here is a screen shot of the program running on the Mac. It's primary function was to help me decode the Bluetooth packets, since Mobileye was not willing to help out with that:
Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 1.59.59 PM.png

Any updates yet? Hopefully it will be possible to get VO-ACC (video only) like they have in the BMW I3. Its the same system so they just need to make it compatible with the Tesla. I would definitaly get it!

Am I the only one with a pre-autopilot car that would like to have adaptive cruise control?
You're not the only one. I really wish tesla would be a bit more cooperative with people like us. I don't need all the purported functionalities of autopilot on my March 2014 p85 -- but if I could replicate ACC by an implementation of mobileye, (auto highbrams and speed limit wRnings wouldn't be bad either), it would be great. A salesman at a service center told me to "wait" for a tesla solution, but I kind of doubt it's coming.

You're not the only one. I really wish tesla would be a bit more cooperative with people like us. I don't need all the purported functionalities of autopilot on my March 2014 p85 -- but if I could replicate ACC by an implementation of mobileye, (auto highbrams and speed limit wRnings wouldn't be bad either), it would be great. A salesman at a service center told me to "wait" for a tesla solution, but I kind of doubt it's coming.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking also. Give me ACC of some sort (any other extras great) and I will be very satisfied.

I kinda doubt Tesla will come with a solution for us unfortunately..

I wrote an email to mobileye a couple of weeks ago asking about the VO-ACC for newer cars that they are supposed to support at some point.
Still havent heard back from them. Perhaps more of us could contact them and put some pressure on them and let them know we are many that are interested.. Hopefully that will get things rolling a bit faster..

On this video its said that there is an auto braking on Telsa when using Mobileye see 3:52 Is that true?
On my Mobileye system, when the warning comes up that you are too close, the Mobileye activates the brake switch momentarily, which causes the cruise control to disable and thus reg braking takes hold which slows the car down. This also happens when you are driving without cruise control and are too close to the car in front of you. The Mobileye activates the brake switch which cause the Tesla to think you are applying the brake and accelerator at the same time. A warning comes up that both pedals are pressed and the car cuts the power momentarily which causes the car loose power and slow down.

On my Mobileye system, when the warning comes up that you are too close, the Mobileye activates the brake switch momentarily, which causes the cruise control to disable and thus reg braking takes hold which slows the car down. This also happens when you are driving without cruise control and are too close to the car in front of you. The Mobileye activates the brake switch which cause the Tesla to think you are applying the brake and accelerator at the same time. A warning comes up that both pedals are pressed and the car cuts the power momentarily which causes the car loose power and slow down.

Same as mine - much better explanation!