Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minnesota Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

Minnesota desired SuperCharger locations (General location)

• Minneapolis/St. Paul

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Rochester

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Duluth

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • St. Cloud

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Mankato

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Winona

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Bemidji

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Brainerd

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Fargo (ND)

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 18 24.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a rumor. Multiple accounts confirming it has happened. No one has any insight into what will happen.
This doesn't sound good at all. The supercharger network is by far the largest EV charing network in the US. Stopping the supercharger expansion or even delaying it is going to be a disaster in EV adoption. I hope there is a plan behind this and not just Elon being Elon.

This doesn't sound good at all. The supercharger network is by far the largest EV charing network in the US. Stopping the supercharger expansion or even delaying it is going to be a disaster in EV adoption. I hope there is a plan behind this and not just Elon being Elon.
Odds are its Elon being Elon. He may be efficient. He may be innovative. He may be an amazing entrepreneur. But he most certainly is not empathetic nor contemplative. He doesn't think twice about firing people, consequences be damned. Just be glad you don't work for him, as you quite literally could be out of a job at any moment.

Very Disheartening, to say the least. Elon said, they will change focus to fewer new locations and focus on expanding existing locations and maintaining near 100% up time instead.
Agree. This is hugely disappointing. Basically means the supercharger map won’t change for a long time. We just have to hope other networks start building off the highway corridors.

Let's hope someone opens up some charging in Virginia. The only one close is a 2 stall Ford charger in Eveleth. It's maintained my Ford so who knows how long it's going to be operational.
I worked with some businesses in NE Minn to get Tesla Destination Chargers installed, before there was a formal Destination Charger program.

I have checked here and PlugShare weekly, for years, hoping for a DC charger in Ely.

With this news….I started sending emails to businesses in Ely last night. Hoping to get a privately owned DC charger installed in Ely.

If anyone here owns a business in Ely, is an electrician, contractor, lender, or has any way they could contribute, send me a message.

Also, if you have ideas for other towns, let’s talk.

Don’t give up hope and let’s stay connected!

Replying to my own post…..FreeWire seems to be going under, and they are/were the most implementable DC option. But now, Musk is saying $500mil on SCs this year. Who knows what to believe?

I’ll take my chances with Tesla at this point. It could take as few at 3 more SCs in northern MN and we would be pretty well covered. Maybe Ortonville too.

Reactions: MattChristian
Replying to my own post…..FreeWire seems to be going under, and they are/were the most implementable DC option. But now, Musk is saying $500mil on SCs this year. Who knows what to believe?

I’ll take my chances with Tesla at this point. It could take as few at 3 more SCs in northern MN and we would be pretty well covered. Maybe Ortonville too.
Well Musk did say $500M this year, he didn’t say $500M more this year. Who knows how much they have spent so far. Also think there needs to be much more than 3 more charging locations in northern Minnesota. More like 30 more.

Well Musk did say $500M this year, he didn’t say $500M more this year. Who knows how much they have spent so far. Also think there needs to be much more than 3 more charging locations in northern Minnesota. More like 30 more.
That 500M is likely global. At least 6-7 New Northern MN sites would make traversing that part of the state much less stressful. Grand Rapids, Duluth (Miller Hill area), Virginia (surrogate for ELY), I-falls, Thief River Falls, Detroit Lakes and Roseau or Warroad for Boarder crossing.