Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Middle of Mass SC Location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you go to Tesla Motor's super charger map Supercharger | Tesla Motors and move the slider to 2014, there is a planned site for the middle of Massachusetts. Where do you think this is? Hadley Mall, maybe?
It might be a mis-located dot for the Chardon Service Plazas, which are confirmed as SC locations from the foreman at the Greenwich CT site. OTOH, there really is a need for something on the I-91 corridor going north. I'd guess the Holyoke Mall at Ingleside, which has already installed EV charging (indicating a willingness to install more, perhaps?).

It might be a mis-located dot for the Chardon Service Plazas, which are confirmed as SC locations from the foreman at the Greenwich CT site. OTOH, there really is a need for something on the I-91 corridor going north. I'd guess the Holyoke Mall at Ingleside, which has already installed EV charging (indicating a willingness to install more, perhaps?).

I agree there should be something on I-91 corridor going north. Continuing my Whole Foods crusade for Super Charger locations, my vote would be for the Mountain Farms mall in Hadley Mountain Farms Store Directory

In addition to Whole foods, there is a Panera and a Barnes and Nobles there. Super Charger locations need to have a different mindset than gas station locations. Super Charging as fast as it is still takes longer. We might as well enjoy it. And strategically placing SC locations near higher end stores is good exposure to potential Tesla customers.

Last edited:
I hope the Charlton one (assuming it's real) is a substitute for the Sturbridge one which was formerly on the map, and that the current dot on the map is for somewhere around W. Springfield accessible to both 91 and the Mass Pike. As you say, there really needs to be one for both 91 and 84 on the Mass Pike. If the map is right and there's only one on the Mass Pike, it will be pretty inconvenient for a lot of trips.

I'm still not sure why they put the one in RI except possibly for access to the outer Cape from NYC.

I agree there should be something on I-91 corridor going north. Continuing my Whole Foods crusade for Super Charger locations, my vote would be for the Mountain Farms mall in Hadley Mountain Farms Store Directory

In addition to Whole foods, there is a Panera and a Barnes and Nobles there. Super Charger locations need to have a different mindset than gas station locations. Super Charging as fast as it is still takes longer. We might as well enjoy it. And strategically placing SC locations near higher end stores is good exposure to potential Tesla customers.
The trouble with Hadley is that it is only useful for I-91 traffic; it's too far a detour for Mass Pike drivers. The Holyoke Mall is easily accessed from both I-91 and I-90 and has good shopping and dining options.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have posted the link to critical information from @enadler: Tesla Supercharger network - Page 354
1- They are working on getting agreement with MA for a SC at the Charlton Service Plaza on I90 just East of I84. The issue here seems to be that there is an ADA issue. The location the plaza would like to be the SC location is far from the food services (McDonalds) which in my opinion is terrific as the SC will be less likely to be Iced. However, the Plaza would like a handicap accessible path/ramp be created. Evidently this is logistically difficult so negotiations are ongoing. I suggested that Tesla explain that SC are not parking spots but refueling locations. Gas pumps do not require handicap access from the pumps to food services. Certainly as long as the SC are handicap accessible and there are parking locations need the food services then this should facilitate access. Mark was intrigued by my take but who knows if the authorities in MA will be similarly intrigued.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still not sure why they put the one in RI except possibly for access to the outer Cape from NYC.
I agree, there appears to be a "drive to the beach" awareness at Tesla. Notice how Tesla has prioritized SCs to drive from Charlotte to the North Carolina Outer Banks...

The one in RI is useless for the Cape. There are few places to charge on the Cape, check out plugshare. RI would get you to the outer cape but you wouldn't make it back. Tesla really needs to put a SC in the Wareham, Bourne, Plymouth area or Cape Cod becomes an ICE only vacation spot.

The one in RI is useless for the Cape. There are few places to charge on the Cape, check out plugshare. RI would get you to the outer cape but you wouldn't make it back. Tesla really needs to put a SC in the Wareham, Bourne, Plymouth area or Cape Cod becomes an ICE only vacation spot.

The RI SC is okay for New Yorkers going to the Cape (hi, Aaron), but not for those of us coming from MA or further north.

What's really needed on the Cape is not SCing but more businesses with L2 charging. If I owned rental property on the Cape, I'd install an EV plug to attract more (and better :) renters.

When I go out to Provincetown, it's for a week, so plugging into 110v is plenty for me... I need the RI Supercharger in order to make it because I'll have my bicycle's on the Eco-Hitch on the back and at 225 miles from Milford to PTown, I wouldn't make it.

But I've always advocated that PTown should install L2 public chargers to cater to the crowd that would go out there for the day and in something like a Leaf or FF Electric, they would need a charge in order to get back to Boston....

Aaron

When I go out to Provincetown, it's for a week, so plugging into 110v is plenty for me... I need the RI Supercharger in order to make it because I'll have my bicycle's on the Eco-Hitch on the back and at 225 miles from Milford to PTown, I wouldn't make it.

But I've always advocated that PTown should install L2 public chargers to cater to the crowd that would go out there for the day and in something like a Leaf or FF Electric, they would need a charge in order to get back to Boston....

Aaron

I have spoken to two select men in Provincetown and got little interest, even when I told them the closest charger was in Hyannis

John

I have spoken to two select men in Provincetown and got little interest, even when I told them the closest charger was in Hyannis

John
I'm afraid a lot of these small tourist towns don't see much advantage to EV charge stations. They're already crawling with visitors in the summer and just don't see spending $10-20K for a few more as being the best way to spend their money. There just aren't enough electric vehicles to make it a compelling case, a classic chicken and egg problem.

- - - Updated - - -

The RI SC is okay for New Yorkers going to the Cape (hi, Aaron), but not for those of us coming from MA or further north.

What's really needed on the Cape is not SCing but more businesses with L2 charging. If I owned rental property on the Cape, I'd install an EV plug to attract more (and better :) renters.
I don't know about that. To really make the Cape accessible, there'd have to be a whole lot of chargers all over the place at Inns, B&B's, beaches, etc. There would have to be hundreds of them at all the places people want to hang out at on the Cape. While I'd certainly give preference to an Inn that had charging over one that didn't, I wouldn't stay in Wellfleet rather than Provincetown just for the charging.

Perhaps the Cape is exactly the right place for a battery swap station (assuming that's not total vaporware). Put one at the Bourne bridge so people could drop off their own batteries and pick up a charged one to use on the Cape, then swap back on the way home and get back their own battery, fully charged and ready to go. In many ways it's a lot better than supercharging for a vacation area since so many people come through in bursts, then the traffic dies down a lot till the next weekend. A battery swap station could handle many more cars per day than a Supercharger site.

I'm afraid a lot of these small tourist towns don't see much advantage to EV charge stations. They're already crawling with visitors in the summer and just don't see spending $10-20K for a few more as being the best way to spend their money. There just aren't enough electric vehicles to make it a compelling case, a classic chicken and egg problem.

If I owned a higher end restaurant, I would put in a few HPWCs for my patrons. would basically guarantee any Tesla driver coming for a day trip would eat there and any vacationer would probably eat there at least once. They would be in the restaurant for up to 3 hours if needed the miles. Wouldn't take too long to pay for itself!

I'd definitely focus on destination charging there, if the town doesn't care. It's wrong, really, with the way the traffic's been described to me, you'd think the town would welcome plug-ins. But if the town doesn't care, businesses compete and destknatkon chargig ischeaoer than general public charging if they do a simple "patrons only" installation.

Also, they don't really need full J-1772 stations, a few 14-50's and 120V outlets mounted on the side of a building with some signage is fine, and gets the job done, for a lot lower cost. I have an RV Charging setup mounted outside my garage, has local breakers and a 14-50, 30A 120V (used for pop up campers, called a TT-30 ), also has a standard 120V 20A GFI outlet, the whole setup was about. $115 cost, and it's weather resistant. 2 of those outside a hotel / restaurant wouldn't cost much to install.

image.jpg

Tesla's business model factors in "free electricity. I bet they have calculated how much money from each car sold to put into an annuity that will pay for supercharger installations and electricity bills. A private garage has incentives to offer free charging because you pay to park there. Many towns have tight budgets and there is no way to quantify the return on charging installations. It's much easier for a private business to quantify.