Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Tesla Stores and Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The woman there told me that they have started building the service center in Detroit "very close to Campus Martius". She also just started working for Tesla last week when it opened though, so take that with a grain of salt.
Yeah, it'll take some time for them to get up to speed with the loads of information us hardcore fans have become familiar with. The "coming soon" marker has been smack dab where Google Maps puts the Detroit label since early 2013 and I am convinced it is a way to designate an area where free ranger/valet service is provided (see how Pittsburgh says "Ranger/valet is provided for free for customers within 50 miles of this location"). I am expecting the first service center to be located somewhere around the Bloomfield area since that seems to be where the highest owner concentration is and around where Tesla's efforts have been focused. Unless by some miracle Tesla finds a loophole better than rangers, the law will have to be changed before they can open a service center.

Go easy with the salt as to not intimidate them with how much more you know. Besides, we need so save it for the streets. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: physicsfita and jgs
I stopped by today, as well. One of the reps mentioned that a Detroit service center was "coming soon". When I pressed them on how they knew, they said it was based on the Tesla website. They were surprised when I told them that Detroit has been "coming soon" on the website for years -- I'd probably back up a salt truck to any news about a Detroit service center.

That said, another rep seem quite convinced that wheels were being set in motion to bring a service center to Toledo. I suspect that information would require a much smaller amount of salt.

I was also told that Tesla's legal people were trying to work out a way to do test drives -- that would line up with the aggressive strategy you suggest.
I think a Toledo service center is the best and easiest way for tesla to get to Michigan also I live by Toledo so it would make me super happy

Well, I thought I'd bump this subject since it is still relevant.

I contacted my insurance company about quoting a tesla and gave them a representative VIN and after initial positive response, I got an email a few days later saying "Nope", that they couldn't insure a Tesla in Michigan because of a lack of service centers! The next best quote would have cost me $1800 more per year instead of the quoted $1000. Ouch!

Of course, it still says Detroit, Coming Soon, and there still isn't one in Toledo, etc.

So, that's the bump I hit. Does anyone else have any additional information or an insurance company to recommend?

Well, I thought I'd bump this subject since it is still relevant.

I contacted my insurance company about quoting a tesla and gave them a representative VIN and after initial positive response, I got an email a few days later saying "Nope", that they couldn't insure a Tesla in Michigan because of a lack of service centers! The next best quote would have cost me $1800 more per year instead of the quoted $1000. Ouch!

Of course, it still says Detroit, Coming Soon, and there still isn't one in Toledo, etc.

So, that's the bump I hit. Does anyone else have any additional information or an insurance company to recommend?

I've had my car insured by Progressive and Liberty Mutual with no such problem.

I contacted my insurance company about quoting a tesla and gave them a representative VIN and after initial positive response, I got an email a few days later saying "Nope", that they couldn't insure a Tesla in Michigan because of a lack of service centers!
Any chance that's Auto Owners? Someone on reddit ran into the same issue.

I have Amica and have been happy with them, though haven't had to file a claim yet, knock on wood. I have renewal coming up this month on the 18th and have bumped liability coverage from low/mid-range to the max for just $105/yr more, or $2516 total for the year.

Yeah, that is a shame. Hopefully you made it clear to them that the reason there aren't service centers here is because of a corrupt law banning direct service. Should also point out that Tesla still provides convenient and timely service in Michigan even with that limitation, thanks to their rangers, in my experience anyway.

On the other hand, approved body shops aren't restricted in the same way and there apparently aren't any of them in Michigan either. The nearest one to me is around Cleveland.

Yeah, that is a shame. Hopefully you made it clear to them that the reason there aren't service centers here is because of a corrupt law banning direct service. Should also point out that Tesla still provides convenient and timely service in Michigan even with that limitation, thanks to their rangers, in my experience anyway.

On the other hand, approved body shops aren't restricted in the same way and there apparently aren't any of them in Michigan either. The nearest one to me is around Cleveland.

Several of us have used Cauly Ferrari in West Bloomfield - they are Tesla approved for most body work and they do a great job.

Have you seen news definitively linking Foxconn to TIM? I've only seen speculation (and I think that was before the WI announcement).

Lets review the time line:

October 2014:
Rick Snyder and Michigan Legislature change Michigan statue to single out and bar Tesla from sales and service in Michigan.

July 12, 2017:
Snyder gets biz incentives win as Michigan woos Foxconn

July 17, 2017:
Project TIM Meeting
Mid-Michigan town wants details on secret $4B project promising 800 jobs

July 28, 2017:
Snyder to lead trade trip to China

August 6, 2017:
Gov. Rick Snyder, Foxconn meet in China to talk potential Michigan investment

August 21, 2017:
Federal judge in Tesla case: Lawmakers must turn over records to electric automaker

Rick Snyder and the Michigan Legislature created a tax incentive to attract a Taiwanese manufacturer in 2017. Rick Snyder, the Michigan Legislature, and the Auto Dealers singled out and barred an American Manufacturer from selling and servicing new products in Michigan back in 2014.

No speculation, just special interest driven politics.

Last edited:
Lets review the time line:

October 2014 - Rick Snyder and Michigan Legislature change Michigan statue to single out and bar Tesla from sales and service in Michigan.

July 12, 2017:
Snyder gets biz incentives win as Michigan woos Foxconn

July 17, 2017:
Project TIM Meeting
Mid-Michigan town wants details on secret $4B project promising 800 jobs

July 28, 2017:
Snyder to lead trade trip to China

August 6, 2017:
Gov. Rick Snyder, Foxconn meet in China to talk potential Michigan investment

August 21, 2017:
Federal judge in Tesla case: Lawmakers must turn over records to electric automaker

And those articles are preceded and followed by:

June 16, 2017:
$5 billion dollar "Project Tim" could create 800 jobs near Durand

September 19, 2017:
It's official: Foxconn will get $3 billion to build a plant in Wisconsin

What little description there has been of TIM seems to align with Tesla + a bit of SpaceX.

And those articles are preceded and followed by:

June 16, 2017:
$5 billion dollar "Project Tim" could create 800 jobs near Durand

September 19, 2017:
It's official: Foxconn will get $3 billion to build a plant in Wisconsin

What little description there has been of TIM seems to align with Tesla + a bit of SpaceX.

I would love it to be Tesla, SpaceX, or both. But, it's Foxconn. Foxconn plans on multiple operations in the Midwest. Wisconsin is one location. Snyder is pushing for Michigan to be the second site. Let me put a bow on this conversation: does Tesla continue its Legal Action in the Western District of Michigan if they are investing $5B + on a manufacturing facility? Explain why Tesla invests $5 Billion into a location that prohibits the sale and servicing of its products?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...g-possibility-for-foxconn-to-come-to-michigan

"In a phone interview Monday night from Shanghai, where he was concluding a nine-day trade trip in China, Snyder said there is a "strong possibility" for Foxconn to still locate in the state after the company in recent weeks picked neighboring Wisconsin for a $10 billion display panel plant with 3,000 employees that could grow to 13,000."

I would love it to be Tesla, SpaceX, or both. But, it's Foxconn. Foxconn plans on multiple operations in the Midwest. Wisconsin is one location. Snyder is pushing for Michigan to be the second site. Let me put a bow on this conversation: does Tesla continue its Legal Action in the Western District of Michigan if they are investing $5B + on a manufacturing facility? Explain why Tesla invests $5 Billion into a location that prohibits the sale and servicing of its products?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...g-possibility-for-foxconn-to-come-to-michigan

"In a phone interview Monday night from Shanghai, where he was concluding a nine-day trade trip in China, Snyder said there is a "strong possibility" for Foxconn to still locate in the state after the company in recent weeks picked neighboring Wisconsin for a $10 billion display panel plant with 3,000 employees that could grow to 13,000."

I think Elon can separate the different issues of dealership sales model and manufacturing. In his shoes, I would predict that the dealership restriction will ultimately be overcome. And even if not, I would want the factory where it makes the most sense. Detroit already has a lot of automotive suppliers to feed into a Gigafactory, employee costs are lower that other locals, there are transportation links,and huge tracts of land. I think he is pragmatic enough to not go with a lesser location out of spite (or other synonym). First principles doesn't care about factors not directly related to the objective.

Currently, the SC network build out puts Michigan at #5 in terms of locations (or is it chargers?), Tesla is not avoiding Michigan in that regard. (not at all the same, but Elon's SpaceX test site is in Texas which doesn't do Tesla sales)

tl;dr; I think the lawsuit is orthogonal to the factory.