Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mic only works for Tesla car commands not cell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're saying that bluetooth audio for your phone calls is coming out the car speakers, but the phone is using its own microphone and not the car's? That's a weird, weird failure. Generally if one channel on a bluetooth profile is working they all will. But it's bluetooth and it breaks in strange ways I guess.

Start with rebooting the phone. Most likely this is where your problem is. If that doesn't work reboot the car MCU too (hold down both scroll wheels for 10 seconds until the display shuts off and restarts). If that doesn't work, delete the pairing in both the car and phone UI's and start from scratch. And if it still doesn't work I'm out of ideas; try a different phone to see if it's unique to this combination I guess.

You're saying that bluetooth audio for your phone calls is coming out the car speakers, but the phone is using its own microphone and not the car's? That's a weird, weird failure. Generally if one channel on a bluetooth profile is working they all will. But it's bluetooth and it breaks in strange ways I guess.

Start with rebooting the phone. Most likely this is where your problem is. If that doesn't work reboot the car MCU too (hold down both scroll wheels for 10 seconds until the display shuts off and restarts). If that doesn't work, delete the pairing in both the car and phone UI's and start from scratch. And if it still doesn't work I'm out of ideas; try a different phone to see if it's unique to this combination I guess.

Thats not how I read what the OP posted. I read it as " I can not issue commands to my PHONE by pushing the tesla voice commands button on my steering wheel.".

Perhaps this is because, on my BMW, you CAN issue commands to your phone by long pressing the voice command button, that I see this OPs question this way.

OP, you can not issue voice commands to your phone using the tesla voice commands button. It only interacts with the car, as you found out. An example of this is if you say "Call my Wife / Husband", that is NOT a voice command that the tesla system understands, but IS one most smart phones will understand if its setup.

So, OP, if you are asking what I think you are asking, this is the way it is designed, and the car system does NOT pass commands to to the phone.